Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sound of bullet hitting deer

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Hope you're being sarcastic. I have heard dozens on our place, alot of it depends on the direction from you the shooter is facing and distance. Longer ranges its very clear. I can usually hear my own hit the deer, just depends on range and surroundings.

EDIT- When shooting a suppressor, the hit is sometimes A LOT louder than the rifle report, especially if you are off from the shooter.

Thank you

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I've heard it once before, definitely a distinct sound. Also agree buckpro with shooting with a suppressor

ive heard it dozens of times. i just have often laughed when someone says "i know you hit the deer, i heard the bullet hit".... was it the deer, a tree, a stump, a dirt pile, a mud hole, the ground? what makes a bullet going through a deer sound different than it going through anything else?

just playing devils advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    what makes a bullet going through a deer sound different than it going through anything else?
    I've heard the thump several times myself. Maybe it sounds different because it is actually going through the deer (assuming a pass thru) and not being stopped like it would it you were hitting the ground or a tree.

quite simply, deer are made of blood and muscle and such. Stumps are made of stump stuff. ground is made of dirt and other stuff.

so, they all sound a bit different because they are made of different stuff.

I'll tell you this....when i take someone hunting [and sometimes this involves a fucking idiot (besides me)] I will listen intently when they shoot. Its happened before and it will happen again when I hear them say "the deer ran off. I see no blood. I must've missed." If I heard the bullet hit, we are gonna spend a lot of time looking. If i didnt hear it hit, we are gonna spend a lot of time looking, too, but shooting a deer with a high powered rifle aint that hard and a lot of people dont know wtf they are doing and their deer runs off and dies. If I hear the bullet hit, we will find that deer.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Whomp - boooom!

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    ive heard it dozens of times. i just have often laughed when someone says "i know you hit the deer, i heard the bullet hit".... was it the deer, a tree, a stump, a dirt pile, a mud hole, the ground? what makes a bullet going through a deer sound different than it going through anything else?

just playing devils advocate.
    No clue but opossums and armadillos make more of a POP than a WOP.

Once a young fella at our club shot a buck, it sounded so odd I got out the stand and went to check on him. Come to find out, the bullet bounced off the feeder leg and took out the one of the bucks hind legs. If it wasn’t for the big fresh clearcut he ran into, I never would have caught up to that deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I heard a guy in Kentucky shoot at a running deer 3 times, first two he missed and the third he hit him in the back of the head. The third shot sounded like someone hitting a homerun with a wooden bat before the boom of the rifle. The other two just sounded like someone shooting a rifle.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Heard a buddy shoot a 230 pound buck and a little 90 pound buck in the same shot and it sounded like you smacked a tree with a 2x4

I find a lot of deer skulls in thickets when I am turkey and woodcock hunting. Most of them rather close to stands where someone missed a "nice buck bo".
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton