Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warren and Sweat

Default Warren and Sweat

So.......What happened to Warren and Sweat? Anyone know? There was a lot of meat brought to the ground out of some of their stands and I found there stands simple, light, and effective. Just a brainstorming / thought/ question.

Man, I loved my old Warren and Sweat Rifleman stand. Like you said, very simple and lightweight. Kilt a lot of game out of that thing!

I had the Cottonwood and loved it. Wish I still did. Not sure what actually happened to them. Was wondering the other day myself. Maybe one of the others bought them out to kill the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I would imagine that, like a lot of old school stand manufacturers, they didn't change with the technology and just faded away. Belts and straps instead of metal v-bars. I climbed a lot of trees in an old rifleman.
    \"Go to Know\"

My uncle still has his cottonwood. Still uses it.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Warren and Sweat Rifleman had a lot of positives to it. I can't think of too many negatives.

I still have my rifleman. Haven't used it in years since I don't hunt with a gun anymore. I think my son still uses it though.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

I had one my grandma bought me for my birthday when I was 13. I don't remember what it was called but you could climb and face the tree or slide the seat up to the tree and sit facing away. It was light as hell and I could shimmy up the tree in no time. It burned up in a garage fire. If that stand could tell some stories...

I remember when the first face-the-tree stands started coming out and those things were a God send over the old Baker stands. I don't remember who made them but they were aluminum square tubing painted green. My hard headed brother kept hunting out of a Baker stand for several years. I remember climbing with them was one thing but it was harder for me trying to come down.

a rifleman was my favorite stand for many years- mine was stolen out the back of my truck while in a C store one day- they were considered light duty, the rifleman had a max weight capacity of 225 lbs

Still hunt out of a rifleman a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    My uncle still has his cottonwood. Still uses it.
    Still use mine I got for Christmas when I was 12. Killed a many of deer from it.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyTrax View Post
    Man, I loved my old Warren and Sweat Rifleman stand. Like you said, very simple and lightweight. Kilt a lot of game out of that thing!

Loved mine too, first stand I ever saw where you faced tree to climb and had the stand up sit down motion unlike those damn old Baker Tree stands .

Look at how all of those were made years ago and it is a wonder ANY OF us that used them are not dead

Our buddies from the mountains were building us climbers (in the style that Buckshot Cadillac made popular much later)before Warren and Sweat came along. Iirc W&S were sued out of existance when several people were hurt and killed. I bought a bunch of Cottonwood and Rifleman for Oaklawn when I started managing the place but found them to be pretty noisy and crappy compared to the round tubed style the mountain boys had been building us for years. Damn those Bakers...

The Warren and Sweats can indeed be noisy, especially on a thick barked scaly pine.

Also, they have a tendency to spin on the tree with a little angle on it, and can be pretty dangerous.

Another draw back is the metal tubing between your legs make it harder to get in and out of at times than the newer styles.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Our buddies from the mountains were building us climbers (in the style that Buckshot Cadillac made popular much later)before Warren and Sweat came along. Iirc W&S were sued out of existance when several people were hurt and killed. I bought a bunch of Cottonwood and Rifleman for Oaklawn when I started managing the place but found them to be pretty noisy and crappy compared to the round tubed style the mountain boys had been building us for years. Damn those Bakers...
    Port A Climb Cadillac is my favorite of all time.

my first climber was the face the tree version, couldnt wait to get it. hunted out of it couple of times and couldnt wait to get rid of it. sold that squeaky bastard and drove the hour to Gradys for a brent hunt.
    never looked back.

last yr i did upgrade to a summit
    Last edited by cburns; 10-05-2016 at 03:32 AM.

I found one someone was using to poach a lease I used to hunt, figured I'd use it a time or two. Was a nice stand, once deer season was over and it was the last year I had the lease before they developed it all, i went and put it back on the same tree I took it from. Should have left the guy a note, nice stand. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by thunderfoot View Post
    So.......What happened to Warren and Sweat? Anyone know? There was a lot of meat brought to the ground out of some of their stands and I found there stands simple, light, and effective. Just a brainstorming / thought/ question.

Are you looking for one? I have Rifleman at the house I don't use anymore.

I used one numerous times. I have no fondness for them. I moved on to API and Summit and never looked back.