Thread: Cane Acre hunting club

Default Cane Acre hunting club

Any Members or contact info.

you talking about the club in Dorchester county near the Edisto river?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    you talking about the club in Dorchester county near the Edisto river?

Right out of Ravenal

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Right out of Ravenal
    That would be summerville.

I can get you contact info.

What are you wanting to know?

Dmatheny was a member for awhile.

that was a fun place to hunt in the early 80s-late 90s

that whole east edisto district that westvaco owned was 70,000 of dogging.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Fellow at work joined it. He asked me if I was interested in joining. I was wanting some input !

Careful if Greg is still running that place.

you have a much better club right where you live- your own land

My buddy said they have the club split up and he can't hunt no where but his area, plus they run dogs after Thanksgiving. Is this common practice for this club?

They been dogging since day one
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    My buddy said they have the club split up and he can't hunt no where but his area, plus they run dogs after Thanksgiving. Is this common practice for this club?
    Used to be a straight dog club. Not very good deer grounds. Typical Westvaco style deer...smallish 8 pts will be about the glass ceiling out there. Lots of pines, cutovers, some.recently timbered area, and a couple of bays spread throughout. I hunted Cane Cutter for several years and there is good reason to dog hunt after Thanksgiving. Deer just shut down and you won't see them until the sun goes down. Definitely not going to be a long term location either as the Summers Corner development will take it over. Long term plan shows a new county library very close to the line of Cane Acre and Cane Cutter clubs.

There are still clubs in the East Edisto tract that are allowed to run dogs? I thought their leases were rewritten.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I haven't heard of any of the east edisto being able to run dogs. I've hunted out there before when it was dog hunting and shot a doe. My uncle hunted there for a while until they quit with the dogs. It's all a crap shoot on those clubs. I think all those clubs wiped out the deer when they figured out they weren't going to dog hunt anymore. They are on the rebound now but I've killed a pile of deer including some nice bucks next door on Holly hill back in the day.

a couple of the clubs were bought by a timber company and are being managed by AFM- both clubs at the end of county line road at parkers ferry rd were bought and can still run dogs, Cherry Hill- about 6000 acres and Sandy Hill( where I hunt) about 5000 acres. The new owners put a buck size limit in place of minimum 3 on 1 side.
    We dog hunt every Saturday and every other Sunday morning. The club is quickly becoming more still hunting and less dog hunting and we have many large mature bucks on trail cameras and even manage to kill a few of them each year still hunting.
    We are also over run with does and non shooter bucks.

I hunted there for 3 years and killed a fair amount of deer. Nice roads and a mix of pines, cut downs, and branches. Small club house and skinning shed. The turkey hunting is almost worth the membership. The last year I was there I tagged out in two weeks. I still know some of the guys out there if you need any info. Pretty good club for West Vaco standards in my opinion.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

I'm a member of a still hunting club a few miles past the cane acre club, I'm located at the end of clubhouse rd and 17 A. None of the West Vaco clubs around us are allowed to run dogs from my understanding. We have a pile of deer on our property, however as someone stated earlier small-decent 8 points are about as good as it gets......I don't eat antlers so it doesn't bother me
    Last edited by ecwooduck; 10-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.