Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody holding doves?

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Who the hell gets married in October?
    I have to be a groomsman in one of my best friends weddings on October 22nd. I asked him the same question, don't know what he was thinking.

We had a surprisingly good hunt yesterday in the Lowcountry. The birds started sprinkling in around 4:30 but starting flocking in after 5:30. Since it was the last day of the split, we hunted later than normal. Our first split was exceptional. Four out of five hunts were limit hunts for me. I should have had a limit on all.

Not sure how the rest of the year will be because all of our sunflowers and a lot of the corn got knocked down. I'm still going to have to write the season off as a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    We had a surprisingly good hunt yesterday in the Lowcountry. The birds started sprinkling in around 4:30 but starting flocking in after 5:30. Since it was the last day of the split, we hunted later than normal. Our first split was exceptional. Four out of five hunts were limit hunts for me. I should have had a limit on all.

Not sure how the rest of the year will be because all of our sunflowers and a lot of the corn got knocked down. I'm still going to have to write the season off as a success.
    Same here. I've watched them all week and it was like clockwork between 2:30-3, so we got in the field at 2:45 and twiddled our thumbs until 4 or a little after. It was on after that though with many big flocks steady coming until an hour before dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I asked him the same question, don't know what he was thinking.
    He's getting married, he obviously wasn't

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I wasn't really intending to hunt yesterday, kinda thought about it.. but ended up walking out into the field sometime around 4ish. I know I got a text about the ending of the game, texted 2th saying I've only seen one bird. Then about ten after five, birds flew and died all around me.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 10-16-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Hunted my field twice, not but 7 acres planted but we killed 500 birds.
    They split after the second hunt and were thick again just before Matthew.
    Wanted to hunt one more time, but just too busy.
    Passed on 3 hunts this weekend including my field.
    All good, think I killed 8 limits so get ready for thanksgiving!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I wasn't really intending to hunt yesterday, kinda thought about it.. but ended up walking out into the field sometime around 4ish. I know I got a text about the ending of the game, texted 2th saying I've only seen one bird. Then about ten after five, birds flew and died all around me.
    Boss!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I wish it was.. I had to run back to the stores. We had a few people come down to deer hunt, but a couple wanted to shoot birds. I sat a father and son on the center pole, and took one of the first into the field so I could cut out. I killed nine real quick like, and had to leave them flying.

Nice Scott, I don't think we killed 500 out of ours this year. It was slow. Popped out there for a couple early shoots after the first two and never really gained birds. Through the season, we didn't have bids come in at a decent hour.

I had them yesterday morning good but today was a different story. I daydreamed all day yesterday that I would have a great shoot in two weeks.....
    cut\'em

I went by our field in upper Anderson county. We have a fair number building back.

We still got a few.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Had a few on our field last week.

There is talk of a thanksgiving shoot
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Ahem
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Couple hundred, maybe 300....

big birds. I guess I need to disc some land and spread some wheat since they ate the flowers out and what little corn I left is flat on the ground. At least the weather is going to help hold what we got.
    cut\'em

I am in the process of converting to a duck pond, I hope. Doves are still around in small numbers but I am not doing any manipulation either.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Still not many birds in Wburg co. Worked on field last wk some. Salvaged some dried up face down sunflower heads by playing sunflower baseball with my 7 ur old. Managed to get the bush hog on some laid down corn. Hope and wait and see if w get something to stop by.

Northern Anderson county was spot on today.

Some birds arrived on the last front! Hope there's enough food for them to stay a little while.