Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody holding doves?

Yesterday afternoon was one of those days that was meant to spent in a field shooting birds. It was fantastic outside.

Must be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Yesterday afternoon was one of those days that was meant to spent in a field shooting birds. It was fantastic outside.
    It dang sure was. We had two decent shoots this weekend. Felt great both days
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I am sitting here being miserable because it just feels like I should be shooting birds right now instead of looking at this computer. Those birds yesterday were the fastest, hardest shooting birds I have seen all year. Mach 2 everywhere they went and never flew in a straight line for more than 10 feet.
    cut\'em

That's when it's fun. Misses stick with me, both from yesterday were my own fault, which they normally are.. Shooting at the tail end of a bird that was stretching out, and the other had turned into the wind when I was chasing him down wind. Both barrels, if I wasn't laughing at myself I'd of had time to reload and kill him.

That's when it's fun. Misses stick with me, both from yesterday were my own fault, which they normally are.. Shooting at the tail end of a bird that was stretching out, and the other had turned into the wind when I was chasing him down wind. Both barrels, if I wasn't laughing at myself I'd of had time to reload and kill him.
    I rarely shoot the third shell when I shoot an automatic but yesterday I had two birds that I stayed behind on the first two shells and just had to burn them on that third shell. The downwind lead was crazy.
    cut\'em

Ha, I pulled another scotch double yesterday.. they just thought they could light on a line in front of me. We've got a gap that they shoot in from over the river. It's about ten feet lower than mid field, when you're standing in the center, and they raise up right on you in wind similar to yesterday it's just good fun.

Ha, I pulled another scotch double yesterday.. they just thought they could light on a line in front of me. We've got a gap that they shoot in from over the river. It's about ten feet lower than mid field, when you're standing in the center, and they raise up right on you in wind similar to yesterday it's just good fun.
    Best part was I shot doves in a blue and white gingham shirt and blue hat with a borrowed gun and shells. No vest or stool. Good buddy called me while I was out checking on some customers and said he had them to come on. Caught some heckling because I wasn't in proper attire but got the job done. I am convinced if you stand under a pivot they cannot see you. I would pay good money for another hunt like that.
    cut\'em

I had em between rain bands Friday and Saturday....what we have, til the 15th?
    Maybe one more....
    Before the storm, I had a scotch and third on the second barrel, feels good fo sho!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Mine tripled since the storm.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

SD, that's about what I was left with. I had on a white t-shirt from cutting out roads earlier that day, and happened to have a greenish vest.

The winter birds will flare a good bit, but in the center of our field is pivot for them. I've had birds flare on me all season one the end poles, this one has never seemed to have that problem. Well, when there's an absence of decoys. I haven't thrown one up this year.. I might Saturday. *about the holding part. We have a few, we're not loaded down. They're flying late.

Yep, Scott. Heeey
    Last edited by Highstrung; 10-11-2016 at 07:54 AM.

damn if it didnt coincide with the one day my phone wasnt working....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have nothing witty.. I would have called, but I wasn't sure if birds would show up. I'd of been upset at myself if you would have planned your day, having to drive like a half hour, to be let down. I mean, cool conversations, that's about what I can offer.

and some expert clothing advice. I mean, you cant get this kind of stuff for free...

Well, women are not cheap sooo..

Speaking of women, my wife reminded me that we have a wedding to attend Saturday evening in Charleston and this has now FUBAR'd my plans to shoot doves on the final day of the first season. The only silver lining is the birds have disappeared all the sudden.

Who the hell gets married in October? I still fume at my wife for setting our wedding date in October. These women just do not understand the important things in life.
    cut\'em

October is not as bad as opening day of second season for ducks. Some wedding my wife wants to go to and I'm not gonna know a soul. Gonna have to buckle down and find a way out of that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The doves were there this morning. Limits by 8:15.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

must be nice

I know right