Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are crossbows for pussies?

Using some of the logic above it would seem using anything other than a bowie knife would be for pussies.

Compound bows are for pussies!
    If you can't do it with a recurve or longbow, then you're taking the easy way out!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Fuck all that noise. I have a hatchet and a damn brick. I'll hurl either one and kill like a fucking caveman. Beat my chest afterwards and slide my old lady some fireside meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Brother has one arm, he shoots a crossbow.

I have two arms, I shoot a compound.

Crossbows are for pussies yet if you try to kill a deer with a spear, they call you a unethical barbarian.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I don't think folk thunk crossbows are for pussies...they just thought they shouldn't be considered "archery" was the argument.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    Fuck all that noise. I have a hatchet and a damn brick. I'll hurl either one and kill like a fucking caveman. Beat my chest afterwards and slide my old lady some fireside meat.
    BOOM. NOT a pussy.

Crossbows promote trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    I don't think folk thunk crossbows are for pussies...they just thought they shouldn't be considered "archery" was the argument.
    I understand your point, and believe that may be how it started, but there sure seems to be a whole gaggle of the "crossbows=pussies" mindset here.

But by the same logic, modern muzzleloaders probably shouldn't be allowed during the "primitive weapon" season. They sure don't require the work and have a helluva lot more accuracy than a "real" muzzleloader. Why shouldn't slug shotguns be allowed during the muzzleloader season? Their power and range isn't any more lethal, is it?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    it does not take near the practice and time with a crossbow as it does a compound. You won't pull a compound out two days before hunting season and shoot it consistantly.

This right here.

i think crossbows were designed to cater to young kids and people with disabilities. What had happened was...people realized they were easy to learn to shoot. Then, they realized, in certain states, they could hunt the archery season so able-bodied hunters stole their kids' crossbows and went hunting. Its certainly a lethal way to kill a deer and you still have to get them pretty close to do it. Granted, "drawing" the crossbow doesnt cause much movement.

I think many of us that started bow hunting did it for the challenge. You really do have to become a better hunter and its part of the maturation process. I dont think shooting a crossbow would make me a better hunter at this point. So, I leave them for kids and those that cant draw a bow back. Its ok.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Who cares... there isn't really an archery season in SC. If you want to kill deer with one, rock and roll.

The legitimate debate over xbows is when they are considered archery equipment in places that have very limited tags/seasons. As BassPro has grown, xbows have become "archery equipment" in many places. Now that shooting a compound at 100 yards is the new standard out west, it's becoming subject to the same criticism. Like most things, it ain't the weapon but the knucklehead tote'n it. If an xbow or modern compound are tuned well and dialed in, they don't require much practice in what should be considered "bow range."
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I wouldn't say crossbows are for pussys, some people just get annoyed when people refer to a crossbow kill as a bow kill. But I guess the traditional guys say the same thing about us compound shooters. At the end of the day if you aren't breaking the law then who cares what other people think. If you enjoy shooting a crossbow then go for it.

I want a crossbow like Daryl's on the walking dead. His never runs out of bolts and it can shoot without being cocked.

Also, Hunt with what you want and how you want to as long as it is legal.
    Last edited by DJP; 09-28-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I want a crossbow like Daryl's on the walking dead. His never runs out of bolts and it can shoot without being cocked.

Also, Hunt with what you want and how you want to as long as it is legal.
    It took 31 post, but finally someone else gets it. Those bolts must be made out of titanium as well.

If your girl is a fan of Daryl, get a crossbow and a leather vest and get laid. Nobody will hate on you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i think crossbows were designed to cater to young kids and people with disabilities. What had happened was...people realized they were easy to learn to shoot. Then, they realized, in certain states, they could hunt the archery season so able-bodied hunters stole their kids' crossbows and went hunting. Its certainly a lethal way to kill a deer and you still have to get them pretty close to do it. Granted, "drawing" the crossbow doesnt cause much movement.

I think many of us that started bow hunting did it for the challenge. You really do have to become a better hunter and its part of the maturation process. I dont think shooting a crossbow would make me a better hunter at this point. So, I leave them for kids and those that cant draw a bow back. Its ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Who cares... there isn't really an archery season in SC. If you want to kill deer with one, rock and roll.

The legitimate debate over xbows is when they are considered archery equipment in places that have very limited tags/seasons. As BassPro has grown, xbows have become "archery equipment" in many places. Now that shooting a compound at 100 yards is the new standard out west, it's becoming subject to the same criticism. Like most things, it ain't the weapon but the knucklehead tote'n it. If an xbow or modern compound are tuned well and dialed in, they don't require much practice in what should be considered "bow range."
    After these two post I don't need to say anything but thought I'd quote 'em so I wouldn't miss the opportunity to post...

"This"

What about the air powered bows they got out now? What's yalls take on those?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    A compund bow for pussies that can't draw a bow back, hold it while making a shot and that need a scope.
    Let's be honest here...compound bows are for pussies. I killed deer with a recurve bow before compound bows became popular. So any man that couldn't draw and hold a 65# recurve and needed sights ("pins") was a pure pussy. Before that any man that couldn't draw, hold and kill game with a longbow was a pussy. Little Fred Bear shot a 70# and an 75# hunting.

Mr. Allen (inventor) received his patent for the compound in 1969. He joined up with Jennings to make the first compounds, it took a while before they became popular.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 09-28-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Let's be honest here...compound bows are for pussies. I killed deer with a recurve bow before compound bows became popular. So any man that couldn't draw and hold a 65# recurve and needed sights ("pins") was a pure pussy. Before that any man that couldn't draw, hold and kill game with a longbow was a pussy. Little Fred Bear shot a 75# and an 85# hunting.

Mr. Allen (inventor) received his patent for the compound in 1969. He joined up with Jennings to make the first compounds, it took a while before they became popular.
    Yes, yes. We know. And when you first starting shooting rifles you had to rely on a piece of flint to light the powder.

Wouldn't be a good discussion without a mergilogue.