Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 1/2hrs of grit and determination

Default 2 1/2hrs of grit and determination

I couldn't go yesterday so I went after work today and sat in a ground blind I've had on the edge of a privet thicket for 4-5 years. It's an old Ameristep Brickhouse that my dad bought and he died in '06. The roof has holes in it and I have to leave 3/4 of the windows open because deer can come from just about any angle. I'm not about to move it or change it out for a new one because I've killed more deer out of it than all the other stands on this property combined. I've had deer walk so close I could literally poke them with a stick.

I pulled the card on the closest camera about a week ago and had a few does and 4 dink bucks. Nothing to really get excited about but I figure my son will get his first one from this blind this year if he wants to. My daughter killed her first one from this seat in '14.

I had to go by and pick up dinner for the family on the way home and then hauled ass the half hour to the stand. This stand isn't 100 yds from the truck and about that far from a busy 2-lane highway so it's also an easy spot that I can get into and out of quickly. That's another one of the many reasons I like it.

So I get in the stand right about 6:00 and have a raccoon roll up on me about 7:15. No other action up til now. 7:30ish, I get winded and hear a deer blow from over my left shoulder, back toward the road. Then, at last comfortable shooting light around 7:45, I hear sticks and steps to my right. There he is at no more than 5 steps. Quartering away, right out in front of me. Can't be this easy - I've only killed 2 other deer with a bow (both from this blind). He passes behind a grown oak tree, draw, MEAH, settle on front 3rd with some light bushes in the way, punch the release. Nocturnal buries and goes out. Pass through. I think I hit him good, but can't say for sure exactly where. I hear him thrash but not like he should be if he is checking out. I get up, walk right to my arrow, nock still glowing - and theres good blood. Not tons of it, but good. I follow it to where I knew he went into some sweet gum saplings, then I thought better of it and head back to the truck to put my bow away and give him a half hour or so.

Pitch black dark when I head back in, just hoping like hell he is dead not far away. I follow drop by drop, never taking more than 5-10sec between finding more drops. Then occasionally big spurts. They took me right to him.

2nd best deer of my life and certainly my best bow kill. 175# of upstate red clay full moon white tail buck deer.

Company car
    #tarplife

EDIT:
    He was on camera after all - showed up 3 days prior....

Last edited by Simple Man; 09-18-2016 at 07:12 AM.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I'll read the story in the am wile I'm on the stand. Damn nice buck there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Wasn't planning on hunting till next weekend till after the full moon, but after your story-why not.

Awesome deer! Congrats!

Oh, and that was a 125gr Slick Trick that whopped 'im.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

That's the best damn tarp buck I've ever seen. The other one was waaaaay smaller, and took a lot longer to kill.

Damn nice deer Bolt. The first pic you sent didn't do it justice. Congrats bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Great buck man! Congrats, and whoa what a read. You sure he ain't just taking a nap in that car?
    Last edited by jevans; 09-17-2016 at 04:05 AM.

Congrats man that's a nice one.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    "I'm a heterosexual Male.... wanna catch me cheating??? Bait me with pussy...."

Hell yeah, nice kill. The tarp pic where it looks like you tucked it in for bed is a helluva touch.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Well done simple. Enjoyed the story

Do work bolt. That's awesome and a cyber fist bump coming at you.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

#pelzerdeer
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

He looks so peaceful nestled in that tarp. Knarley rack.

Yes sir!!!

Well done!

Pretty work Bolt!
    See ya in a few hours!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

All around good stuff. Congrats
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Nice deer!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Dammit boy. Simple daddy done took the lead and is pulling a way....

Hell of a nice deer. But what about those parrot feathers? No pic?

Awesome. Good read. Congrats bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.