Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Merino wool

Shout out to Jason.

I sent him an email after he asked me to on this thread. I was not expecting, or wanting, a single thing for my merino bottoms I bought last year that ripped. He went above and beyond to accommodate me when he didn't have to or need too. Damn good CS.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Shout out to Jason.

I sent him an email after he asked me to on this thread. I was not expecting, or wanting, a single thing for my merino bottoms I bought last year that ripped. He went above and beyond to accommodate me when he didn't have to or need too. Damn good CS.
    I'm still awaiting his reply

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    What is the weight of merino for that shirt?
    255 Grams Per Square Meter or 7.52oz.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Just send us all some garments to try and no more pissing contest about who has tried your stuff on SCDucks. I'll take some of the merino base layers, the underwear, and any huk shirts that are the really soft cotton feeling stuff that's really polyester of whatever magical fabric they make it out of nowadays. You can even call me prostaff if that helps write it off. Hell, throw in a good pair of rain pants for me too will you? Wahoo season is about here. Thanks. God bless.
    I'd love to give everyone free stuff, but we are a South Carolina based company run by hardworking folks with families to feed. I wish I could but my employee's families wouldn't appreciate us giving away the farm. Thanks.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"

Damn the Democrats up in here

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    I'd love to give everyone free stuff, but we are a South Carolina based company run by hardworking folks with families to feed. I wish I could but my employee's families wouldn't appreciate us giving away the farm. Thanks.
    Lulz...

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    For our NOMAD Sapwood, we use 100% merino in the body, but we use merino/polyester/lycra inserts which keep the fabric close to your chest (in case you want to shoot your bow). I find that our weight of Merino is perfect to keep you warm.

Merino is awesome. Having sold base layers for 16 years, merino wool is the way to go regardless of the brand. It will keep you super warm and does not hold odor as bad as polyester. The major con with all merino wool, is merino (thin) baselayers/underwear don't hold up to washing as well as polyester base layers. I purchased several pairs of Minus33 merino boxer briefs for my sheep hunt last year and I was disappointed that they wore out quickly. This is a fact of merino wool regardless of the brand.
    So does the merino base layer fit tight like under armour? I am interested but can't stand tight fitting clothes.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    So does the merino base layer fit tight like under armour? I am interested but can't stand tight fitting clothes.
    Keeping moisture off your body is the reason anyone wears a wool base layer. Not much point to it if it's not snug. If it gets excessive order a size up
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Default Merino wool

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post

No Sir, the NOMAD baselayers (Heartwood and Sapwood) are not a compression fit. It is not loose, but not compression fit that UA's original "ColdGear" designed to do. UA's ColdGear was initially built to be worn under football pads for a few hours at a time. Compression is great for wicking moisture and to provide muscle compression for potential athletic performance. After UA was in the outdoor markets for a few year, they sold more of their non-compression fitted gear to the hunting and skiing markets. We used to say the best thing about original ColdGear was when you took it off at the end of the day. Ultimately UA's fitted (non-compression) base layers became the market share leader.

You don't want your base layer to be loose as it won't wick moisture and will be more difficult to layer under your midlayers and outerwear, but most hunters wear their base layer for 6 or more hours and don't prefer compression fit.

Personally, I have spent most of my 16 year career in the hunting business selling or working with companies that manufacture baselayers, I have sold, worn and tested just about type and if I could wear any baselayer while hunting below 40 degrees, I will reach for merino wool every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HartClemson99; 09-18-2016 at 11:15 PM.

Filson seems to hold up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Filson seems to hold up well.
    Have you seen the post-Ralph Lauren shit they are making these days?
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Have you seen the post-Ralph Lauren shit they are making these days?
    No shit, they send me a catalog every week it seems and none of the shit in that catalog looks like the old Filson gear I have worn for 15 years.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    No shit, they send me a catalog every week it seems and none of the shit in that catalog looks like the old Filson gear I have worn for 15 years.
    It has gotten rather faggoty.

Lauren bought Filson years ago. Find their old stuff. It is out there.

Patagonia makes durable outdoor clothing. I have plenty 20+ year old stuff that is going strong. Just the places my flyfishing vest has been in, and survived, speaks to bullet proof quality.

My Nomad stuff is all new and nice. Dead shit to come, but my medium weight capilene I bought at The Backpacker in 1984 will be the first layer that goes on here in a few weeks...

Patagonia Capilene line is the tits for sure.