Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing the right thing

I am with the majority of folks here. The only way to get good at shooting deer with a bow is to shoot deer with a bow. I promise you'll enjoy the shit out of it
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I am with the majority of folks here. The only way to get good at shooting deer with a bow is to shoot deer with a bow. I promise you'll enjoy the shit out of it
    There are alot of bowhunters out there, but very few that are good at killing deer with a bow. Just carrying it back and forth to the truck will not make you good at it. I've killed a pile of them with the bow and still shoot the first couple legal deer I have an opportunity to every year, just to knock the rust off. That said, don't shoot the deer if you don't want to.

Don't let dumb deer muddy up your gene pool. If he makes stupid mistakes more than once or twice, deflate him.

I've killed my fair share and if that deer catches me in the right mood I would let his air out and never look back.

if he doesn't tickle your fancy let him go. If you get the itch shoot him. don't make more of it than it is.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Depends on your options...routinely see does as well?

I have been told the same about a trophy with a bow is not the same is pushing one over at 150yrds with a riffle.

If I knew it may be one of the better chances to fill the freezer...truck ride.

If you don't want to shoot him then don't.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Confucius say "Brave who counts coup on empty stomach should carry ketchup to eat his crow."

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    Confucius say "Brave who counts coup on empty stomach should carry ketchup to eat his crow."

Aint nothing like shooting one with a bow. Let the air out of him..

Don't shoot him if you feel badly about it. You have a conscience, and it's telling you it's not right for you.
    Hunting outside the box

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    'tis true!

Also just because he is there in camera don't make him a slam dunk.

You go in there with the wrong wind and he will blow you out with the quickness
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

If you're having to ask scducks, then you already know the answer to your question. Don't second guess yourself, if you want to shoot him then go ahead but if you don't then you'll get another opportunity at a different deer. It's September, you have plenty of time to kill the deer you want.

Now you've got me wanting to thunderbolt the first dink I get in bow range.

You better. The criplets be hungry.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

This richere^^^^^^^^^
    \"Go to Know\"

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post

Simple but true. A bunch of shit can go wrong real quick after you come to full draw. Unfortunately you have to make mistakes in order to learn what needs to be done when shit needs to get done.

Considering you've never killed a deer with a bow, I'd be flinging arras at any and every legal critter....just like I did when I was 12. Helluva lot different than standing in the back yard shooting at dots on a target.

Right now you have morals, values, and stipulations on what you want to shoot. However, be warned....once you pop your cherry you'll be walking around with a half mast stiffy wanting to stick anything that will hold still long enough to get the job done. Big, small, fat, ugly, hell it wont matter for a while.

Default Doing the right thing

I was hooked the first time I heard that arrah splat. I've taken two doe with a bow and shot a 6pt 2 years ago. I tracked him for a mile but never found him. I sold that bow that year because I didn't want to wound another animal. Last year I bought an Elite Energy 35 and have become very proficient and confident- I cannot wait to recover my first archery buck in 8 days
    Last edited by The Conservative; 09-07-2016 at 05:31 AM.
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

This has been an interesting thread. I don't change my target criteria based on the weapon. If I wouldn't shoot him with a rifle, I wouldn't with a bow. I have over the years changed my overall criteria from passing on 3 year old bucks to shooting them, as I frankly got tired of not killing bucks. In my mind, if you want to kill non-trophy deer, might as well kill does. You can get plenty of practice that way without shooting scrubs. However, I respect everyone's right to do what they want. Good luck.
    Carolina Counsel