Thread: Hanging a rustic wood mantle

Default Hanging a rustic wood mantle

Found a black walnut slab mantle. How do you hang one of these heavy sobs. Seller said they drill one inch holes in fireplace and back of mantle and slide in a steel rod. Mantle hangs from rod then. I am sure I would fuck it up. Any other ideas? Rustic looking.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

That's about my plan.

That plus one of many epoxy options to ensure everything holds in place would be my plan.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

We hung one at my uncles mountain house like that with the rods. Worked like a champ
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

#4 rebar and high strength epoxy for a caulk gun with the long tip. Clean the dust out of holes with a shop vac.

Mount a timber to the wall with a 45 cut. Cut a 45 on the back of the slab. The 2 slide together and lock tight. Install a couple screws for security.

It can't be done! Let me know when I can come pick it up since you won't be needing it.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I used pipe flanges bolted to the masonry, then screwed the threaded pipe into the flange. Drilled holes in mantle then slide it onto the pipes with structural adhesive.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

This is what I am hanging. Well over 100lbs. 5inch thick. Just under 6ft.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

You might as well through that away. PM me what dumpster.

That would look a lot better in my house than yours and you still haven't gotten me a house warming present.

I got what you need !

I just hung a 6x6 beam above mine with lag bolts into the studs, then cut off hex head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebar will work, all-thread is better. Drill holes, blow and brush them out. Set rods in masonry and epoxy in. Slide on timber but do not epoxy it on. You ever move, you may want to take it with you.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013