Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher rate clethodim on chufas

Default Higher rate clethodim on chufas

Anybody ever sprayed a higher rate of clethodim on chufas? I messed up and never got around to spraying when chufas and grass was small. I let the grass get out of hand and get tall. Since clethodim shouldnt hurt nutsedges was wondering if anybody sprayed taller grass at pint and half to a quart a acre? I would hate to smoke the chufas? I will probably just let it go and burn off in the winter.

Bump

Shouldn't be a problem. Depending on formulation probably a pint to 1.5pt. You may get a little burn if you use crop oil and its hot but I doubt it.
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

i am not a mixologist but my brain is saying....let the grasses die in the winter and worry about spraying them at the more appropriate time in the late winter/early spring.

or just mix you a small batch and spot spray a section and see how it reacts.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

After reading a lot of opinions and recipes on spraying post emergent I decided to give it a try for the first time, and will NEVER do it again. Probably mixed too strong, and used 2 4d, or something I shouldn't have. But I mixed 1.5 pints of Clethodim 2E, 1.5 pints of 2 4d to 40 gallon sprayer per acre, and killed EVERYTHING. Especially chufas. They seem to be the first to die, but no rain since spraying a couple weeks ago either. Didn't use crop oil, but dawn dishwashing liquid instead. Just wanted to share in case someone else is considering it. Don't make the same knuckle head mistake I did. 450 lbs. of seed in 4 different plots. 1300 lbs of fertilize, and countless hours prepping and working the ground prior. Got 75-84 good days of growth with good rainfall, and nitrogen applied at about 30 days. Hoping to have made some at least.

If you mixed the cleth. with the 2-4d, that chemistry is what smoked your chufa, not the cleth....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I'm wondering if anything has tried to come back since you got rain.

It's had to kill nutsedges.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I've never used Cleth.

My go to has always been:
    1.5 pts/ac Poast
    1pt/ac 2 4 D
    1qt/ac Oil
    30 gals water per ac

It will ding the Chufa, on this sandy soil and hot/dry weather. But they have come out after a nice rain.

I never spray 2-4d. I don’t even have any at my farm. I use poast and 2-4db on everything I spray. Chufa and clover. I have never had an issue with killing my chufa or clover.

However I am going to alfalfa so all i will need is roundup. Much easier this way.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 09-12-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Hasn't rained yet since spraying 15 days ago, but I checked thoroughly yesterday, and the chufa foliage is dead all the way to the ground.

I was gonna use the Poast, but only could get in 2.5 gallons at over $300.00 so I ordered the clethodim, but seriously thinking it was the 2 4d as someone else said, and also mixing the two. Won't do it again though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, but an expensive lesson learned. Maybe they've made some though, and won't be a total loss.

They were in the ground long enough to make they are likely just pea sized. Turkeys will dig them up all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jameperr1 View Post
    Hasn't rained yet since spraying 15 days ago, but I checked thoroughly yesterday, and the chufa foliage is dead all the way to the ground.
    When did you plant?

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    When did you plant?
    June 3rd-15th in 4 different spots.

Ok, I was wondering if it wasn’t just Browning up after it had matured. We usually plant ours the first week in May and ours has been dying back for over a month now

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Ok, I was wondering if it wasn’t just Browning up after it had matured. We usually plant ours the first week in May and ours has been dying back for over a month now
    Yeah that'd be great if that was the case. I'm gonna check what's in the ground more in depth today when I get home. I was a little nauseated and depressed when I drove up yesterday and seen a completely brown patch.

Thanks for the input from everyone. Unfortunately I've over sprayed, and/or used the wrong 2 4d. The bad news is I think they're done for the year, but not a total loss. Just not what I was aiming for. They did produce, but gonna be smallerHouse Plants.jpgPatch Plants.jpg3 Acres Plants.jpgChufas.jpg. Will know better next time, and a lesson learned the hard way. Here's some pics of what they look like. They've got 75 and 76 days on them since planting date to the day I sprayed them.

Quote Originally Posted by jameperr1 View Post
    Thanks for the input from everyone. Unfortunately I've over sprayed, and/or used the wrong 2 4d. The bad news is I think they're done for the year, but not a total loss. Just not what I was aiming for. They did produce, but gonna be smallerHouse Plants.jpgPatch Plants.jpg3 Acres Plants.jpgChufas.jpg. Will know better next time, and a lesson learned the hard way. Here's some pics of what they look like. They've got 75 and 76 days on them since planting date to the day I sprayed them.
    I think the problem you may have now will be from sprouting chufa seeds.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You're good to go, don't sweat it.
    That is, if the birds can wade to em through the kudzu!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE