Thread: Tractor Gear issues- HELP

Default Tractor Gear issues- HELP

So I'm not a mechanic so you'll have to overlook my lack of terminology.

But we've got a tractor out at the family hunting grounds that is pretty old. She still runs like a champ but been running into a problem with the gears.

Sometimes when you go to change the gears (high, low, reverse) the gear shifter won't line up with the links in the case properly, like they have slipped out. It's a real bitch, because then you gotta stop everything, take some hoses off to get to the case, take top of the case off, line the damn links back up and put it all back together, just to get back to doing what you intended on doing that day.

So how do I fix it, are the gear shifter pin things worn down too much that they can't reach the links all the time or what?

Thanks.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Is this an older Ford like a 9N or Jubilee?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlmouth30 View Post
    Is this an older Ford like a 9N or Jubilee?
    Couldn't tell you. Doesn't have any decals, plates, numbers or anything on it. This thing was old when I learned how to drive it 20 years ago.

EDIT: Based on my googling. Its looks like a FORD 5000 or something similar but not quite.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 08-19-2016 at 07:17 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Shift level is woren out and the bushing the shift forks slide in are worn out also.

You going to need a mechanic for this problem, sorry ol boy to tell you that.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    You going to need a mechanic for this problem, sorry ol boy to tell you that.
    And a lot of green pictures of dead presidents.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    So I'm not a mechanic so you'll have to overlook my lack of terminology.

take some hoses off to get to the case, take top of the case off, line the damn links back up and put it all back together, just to get back to doing what you intended on doing that day.
    Do the same thing, take it apart. Check every connection for slop and wear. If it wiggles, fix it or replace it. Very well could be worn linkage.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.