Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Tide rebuild

Default High Tide rebuild

Hey just thought I'd share this. I'm in the process of rebuilding my boat. For anyone else who has a high tide or any fiberglass boat with wood cores, make sure you seal any screw or bolt that you ever put in your boat. This was my first boat and was unaware that the previous owner hadn't done that.

If you've already got a soft spot, it's too late, your foam is soaked, and contrary to what some people say it will not dry. I tried to save a piece that I removed a month ago and still not dry.

Look forward to watching the progression.

Have fun with it and keep on posting.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

If I buy an old winyah will you redo it for me? Ive always wanted a little 13 footer with a 25 on it.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Love my Hi tide, Looking forward to you pictures

I looked at a 16' mitide out front of tailwalker the other day. Love that boat. One day I'm going to own another one.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Subscribed!

I always enjoy these rebuild threads!

You going with epoxy? Post up details of the glass job. I'm interested to see how you come up with a way to get the contour right for the stringers.

Best of luck. That thing would have been in the landfill before I ever started pulling the foam.

Looks like a good start.. you itchy yet?
    Genesis 9;2

Plenty itchy, could be a lot farther along but this heat is brutal

well you could consider turning that fans TOWARDS where you are working. That might help.

Good luck.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Love my new 1602 high tide, looking forward to watching your rebuild. My 90hp Yamaha is sitting on the bench ready for a rebuild, just haven't wanted to sit in the 150 degree garage and rebuild it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well you could consider turning that fans TOWARDS where you are working. That might help.

Good luck.
    Lol I promise you that fan and another was pointing at me while I was working.
    Can't wait to put on the tyvek suit and start grinding

Tyvek suits are for pussies.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Ready for pics, take em often

Any updates on the rebuild? Would love to see more pictures.

This is where I'm at right now. Using marine ply and epoxy. Was hoping to get the transom glued in today but rain prohibited. I'll have more pics to come

Figured I'd share some of my slow moving progress. Took a couple months off but I'm back on it now.
    Got the transom in, stringers in, glued some cleats to stringers to have more surface area to glue the sole to, and got some of the foam in.
    Wasted a bunch and ran out so gotta order more.

Impressive. I have one that needs some work too, there's a soft spot towards the bow. I dont know if it's worth the effort though. Look forward to seeing more pics.

You really gotta love the boat to do that much work. Unless you just enjoy doing it.

Looks good! The only thought that comes into my mind when I see rebuilds like this is, is there not a synthetic material that would provide similar weight and strength but without the threat of eventual rot?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

“There’s nothing––absolutely nothing––half so much worth doing as messing about in boats.”