Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit question

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    The more you talk about crossfit the stronger you'll get. You'll get better at crossfit and better than other people at crossfit and in life
    It's called positive forward thinking.

And saves on gym membership dues.

But you still need to buy the gear.

Never break eye contact with weaker people when doing or talking about WODs

Hold that eye contact for an uncomfortable 3-5 seconds longer than they expect you to

If you don't know or don't have a Fran time then you can sit over there with the rest of the non operators.

Tactical AF

So I have never stepped foot in a crossfit gym so take this with a grain. I have read a ton about it and have talked to quite a few guys who crossfit. My observations have been similar to yours. I know if I were to workout in a crossfit gym I would be a bean poll. I am 6' 2 and im an even 200. I struggle to gain any size and if I don't push myself to lift heavy I'll lose any size that I gain easily.

I have basically picked out the work outs that I want to do and added them to my regular work out. I do a traditional lift day on M, W, F. On T and Thurs I do a cardio based workout. It basically includes kettle bells, Olympic lifts, ropes, boxes, and medicine balls. It's an hour of high heart rate with heavy lifts. I have had great results in my workout.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Eff working out for an hour.

11:54 FRAN
    Last edited by Simple Man; 08-16-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Thanks JBK that's helpful and basically what I'm thinking about doing.

I'm 6'3 245lbs. Played all sports growing up and football into college and coached football after school. So, I've got a solid background in what the Crossfit world refers to as powerlifting, bodybuilding, dynamic/explosive workouts, as well as some Olympic Lifts (power cleans, hang cleans, etc).

I am up for the challenge of something new but don't want to give up my time with my "powerlifting" and "bodybuilding" lifts to go fully Crossfit. I believe I will do what JBK meantioned and incorporate some to fill in gaps that I feel may be there. Not to mention I know Crossfit would kick my butt from a conditioning standpoint.

Thanks for the helpful input and next time I'm in the upstate I might check your place out Glenn and see what it is all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

I'm in no way knocking crossfit but after a year or two of it my knees and ankles would be garbage. The reason I lift the solo is because some days my broke down legs and bum shoulder tell me what they want to do. So I can kinda adjust my workouts to what I feel like doing that mourning.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If you don't know or don't have a Fran time then you can sit over there with the rest of the non operators.

Tactical AF
    I have some friends that if you made that last line a hashtag...well it'd be them to a T.
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    I'm in no way knocking crossfit but after a year or two of it my knees and ankles would be garbage. The reason I lift the solo is because some days my broke down legs and bum shoulder tell me what they want to do. So I can kinda adjust my workouts to what I feel like doing that mourning.
    Sorry someone died

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Sorry someone died
    Haha...stupid smart phone

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    I have some friends that if you made that last line a hashtag...well it'd be them to a T.
    It's hilarious. CrossFit is a brand. That's it. The fitness modality of high intensity interval training is all we do coupled with structured strength training in a group setting.

That is free. It's on the web. My programming is out there for anyone to follow as long as you have the equipment to do it.

I've even had people be perfectly honest and open and join for 3 months to learn the movements and for us to teach them a proper squat and proper technique then they go and build their own home gym with the sole intent on following our programming. And that's cool. Because 6 months later when all that sweet Rogue gear is collecting dust and has become a clothes rack I get to buy it for half price.

Working out alone is boring and that's the reason most home wod'rs fizzle fast. There's no one there to push them.

I feel stronger after reading this.

Osmotic strength training only works if you're wearing board shorts and nanos, dude.

Nice try though.

Glenn hit it on the head. Working out alone is boring and near impossible to over the long run keep up the intensity required to get the most of the hour you sacrifice a day to workout.

I think the culture of Crossfit is silly , but there are plenty like minded that Crossfit is simply a hour out of their day to exercise with a group that will each other.

I still can't get over the fact that people practice exercising though.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Each gym is different. The members create the community and the "vibe". Some are better than others. Some cater to competition and people who wish to compete. Others, like ours, are just trying to instill a fitness mindset into people and trying to help add years to their life along with general physical preparedness.

The part that always cracks me up is when fat folks who take a shit load of meds tell me how bad what we do is for our health.

I think we'll be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    I feel stronger after reading this.
    When you coming? It has only been two years.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    When you coming? It has only been two years.
    He would be good motivation. He'd be talking junk to errybody ahah
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The part that always cracks me up is when fat folks who take a shit load of meds tell me how bad what we do is for our health.

I think we'll be okay.
    Some dumbass posted a thread in another forum about "shooting fitness" as it pertains to sporting clays. He went on and on about how walking and light upper body weights helped him. Meanwhile he's got high blood pressure and Type II diabetes. I told him he might as well lay on the couch and eat ice cream as taking a walk. He appreciated my honesty about as much as he appreciates good health.
    Last edited by Fish; 08-17-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Those guys are typically the "make this go away but don't make it my responsibility" type. I send them to planet fatness to get their purple treadmill game on.