Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit question

Default Crossfit question

So I stumbled across a crossfit video on YouTube, which then began a couple night shifts of watching Crossfit videos. I like some of the things that I've seen and have been trying to figure out how to work some of the elements into my workouts. I noticed that most of the "elite" guys on these videos are smaller framed guys. In one of the videos they even refer to a guy that was 6' tall as the biggest guy in Crossfit.

My question is this, how many of you guys that do Crossfit as a primary workout are bigger than say 6' and 220llbs. Have you been able to work into the higher end gymnastics moves, rope climbs, etc? I know that the elite guys in most of he videos are the best of the best, just curious how it relates to real life for y'all.

BTW they are some badass women that do the competitions...dang it son
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Stop that. Curl mother fucker curl

Matt...I've looked into crossfit Summerville...it's pricey. I'm going to give F3 a shot starting next week (when I get back into town). From what I gather, it's more or less an early morning PT session that we were use to. Up downs, flutter kicks...you name it...and a good run and even stadiums in the parking garage downtown. They meet at like 5:30 at Doty Park. Let me know if you want to join me.
    Last edited by reeltight; 08-15-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    They meet at like 5:30 at Doty Park. Let me know if you want to join me.
    So lemme get this straight....you're gonna drive downtown to do PT at 0530?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    So lemme get this straight....you're gonna drive downtown to do PT at 0530?
    Nope...Matt and I live down the street from each other in Summerville. Doty park is 5 minutes from the house. So, I'm going to get up at 5am...take my morning shit, brush my teeth and then head to the park.

Edit: downtown was referring to downtown Summerville.
    Last edited by reeltight; 08-15-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Matt stronger than you Bo.

Quote Originally Posted by santeeswamper View Post
    Matt stronger than you Bo.
    I don't disagree with you. He's a big fella with a bear paw like hand shake.
    Last edited by reeltight; 08-15-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Nope...Matt and I live down the street from each other in Summerville. Doty park is 5 minutes from the house. So, I'm going to get up at 5am...take my morning shit, brush my teeth and then head to the park.

Edit: downtown was referring to downtown Summerville.
    It makes sense. Don't blow a gasket before you get your blood pumping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    It makes sense. Don't blow a gasket before you get your blood pumping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Those morning shits can have a mind of their own

Bwhahaha this quickly went to hell...

Def not quoting the weights just looking to add more to it. Getting on a treadmill or eliptical machine makes me want to jump off a bridge..... Boring and monotonous as hell!!

RT - I appreciate the offer and read through your other thread where this was brought up. I didn't do and couldn't stand PT at El Cid and don't see me staying with F3, cool concept just not my thing. Not to mention with my work schedule I wouldn't be able to make enough of them to make it worth it.

My interest in Crossfit was to basically use the "superset" mentality and borrow some exercises to add more of a cardio element to my workouts now. Which sparked the question of how many big guys do all that stuff? Just don't see many ex-football players doing muscle ups and the swinging on the bar stuff.
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    Bwhahaha this quickly went to hell...

Def not quoting the weights just looking to add more to it. Getting on a treadmill or eliptical machine makes me want to jump off a bridge..... Boring and monotonous as hell!!

RT - I appreciate the offer and read through your other thread where this was brought up. I didn't do and couldn't stand PT at El Cid and don't see me staying with F3, cool concept just not my thing. Not to mention with my work schedule I wouldn't be able to make enough of them to make it worth it.

My interest in Crossfit was to basically use the "superset" mentality and borrow some exercises to add more of a cardio element to my workouts now. Which sparked the question of how many big guys do all that stuff? Just don't see many ex-football players doing muscle ups and the swinging on the bar stuff.

The guys on TV are the absolute best in the world. There is a certain size that lends itself to that. To be on that level, you have to be thick enough to have elite strength, but light enough to be able to crush the body weight exercises.

I'm 6'4" 215 and I obviously don't squat what a thicker/shorter guy would, but I can hold my own in pull ups, wall balls, box jumps, etc. We have some pretty big tall guys at our gym that are pretty good.

It will hurt to give it a try, but once the soreness wears off, I think you will like it. It's anything but monotonous. I've really enjoyed it.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

The guys on TV are the absolute best in the world. There is a certain size that lends itself to that. To be on that level, you have to be thick enough to have elite strength, but light enough to be able to crush the body weight exercises.

I'm 6'4" 215 and I obviously don't squat what a thicker/shorter guy would, but I can hold my own in pull ups, wall balls, box jumps, etc. We have some pretty big tall guys at our gym that are pretty good.

It will hurt to give it a try, but once the soreness wears off, I think you will like it. It's anything but monotonous. I've really enjoyed it.
    Def easy to see why the small framed guys are better at the body weight stuff and become the best of the best. Thanks for the input Boozer

I"m right at the range you mentioned: 6'0", 215-220. The movements will come with time. The key is to focus on doing it the right way. Otherwise, you're going to deal with injuries regardless of your size. The same can be said of any type of workout routine or movement.

Give it a shot for two months. You'll either like it or not. Despite what some say, it's not for everyone. You need to have a drive for self improvement to really enjoy/appreciate it.

There is only one way to find out what your body can and can't do...

Give Orange Theory Fitness a shot, they have one in Summerville now. I have been doing it here in Charleston for quite some time and it's great. It comes out to about $13/class if you sign up, however your first class is free of charge. I highly suggest checking it out, each class is a 1 hour workout consisting of treadmill, rowing machine and weight room workouts. You are hooked up to a heart rate monitor and each workout is broken down into different intervals. I consistently burn 900-1,000 calories/workout

We've got members that are 6'4" and around 200-220. We've got members that are 5'10" and are around 275. We've got teenagers and the elderly that come workout. We've got those in the single digit BMI range that are super strong and have an engine as well as those in the double digit BMI range and enjoy their beer.

No matter your build, athletic capacity or previous injuries, we can find a way for everyone to get a workout in at the stimulus that the workout was designed for.

Each person will have something they are better at than others.

I've been doing CrossFit for 2.5 years and I wish I would have found it sooner. Don't let size and build stop you from changing it up.

Look up Derek Weida or google adaptive athletes CrossFit and you'll quickly realize that if they can do it, anyone can.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

6' 220lb here. I don't excel at any of it and I'm okay at all of it. Exactly what it's designed to do. I can climb a rope like a mofo. Can't do a muscle up and don't care if I ever do. Hate pull ups but can bang out my share.

If it were up to me I'd row, do deadlifts and do kettlebell work all the live long day but that wouldn't make me well rounded and generally prepared.

The more you talk about crossfit the stronger you'll get. You'll get better at crossfit and better than other people at crossfit and in life