Thread: Rangefinder suggestions

Default Rangefinder suggestions

Looking to buy a rangefinder. Notice the prices vary quite a bit. Any to stay away from or any to target? Not trying to spend a lot but will be useful in certain cases

I don't know what your price point is but the Leica models get great reviews.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have used a few different brands, just make sure to get one that has angle compensation built in. I screwed up and got one a few years back that seemed like a hell of a deal. Found out why it sucked! I think the one i have now is Luelold RX-650

Leupold txt-1000iTBR

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    I have used a few different brands, just make sure to get one that has angle compensation built in. I screwed up and got one a few years back that seemed like a hell of a deal. Found out why it sucked! I think the one i have now is Luelold RX-650
    At what distance or height differential, or combination thereof, does the angle compensation really make a big enough difference to change the outcome of the shot - bow or rifle?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 08-16-2016 at 06:20 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Bstoneb, whichever rangefinder you decide on, I've noted a key difference to pay attention to is the "trigger stiffness". It's basically the button you push to take a range reading, but some are so stiff that you'll have a hard time taking a reading off-hand. You have to push so hard that you need to stabilize on something to get a reading off a small object at a distance. That's the first thing I've checked when trying different models.
    ~ George Washington

I use a pin seeker Bushnel model. It's expensive, made for golf but great for hunting. $650ish a couple years ago, but I had a deal with Bushnel and paid cost.
    Last edited by Duckkiller; 08-15-2016 at 09:40 PM.
    Go Tigers!!!

At 400-500+ yards, I'd be concerned about beam divergence.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Sig Kilo2000. That thing is the cat's ass!! 1000yds in a split second. I was satisfied with my old one till I used someone else's. I bought one the next week.

Just went through this process last week. I read thousand is post over on AT about it.

The leupold 1000 and 1200 are nice and fast.

The vortex is also nice. It's not a as fast as the Leupolds but it's not that slow for what we are doing either.

I compared them side to side and the deciding factor was the warranty with vortex.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    Just went through this process last week. I read thousand is post over on AT about it.

The leupold 1000 and 1200 are nice and fast.

The vortex is also nice. It's not a as fast as the Leupolds but it's not that slow for what we are doing either.

I compared them side to side and the deciding factor was the warranty with vortex.

Always been a Leupold optics fan. Slowly switching over to Vortex for IMO a little better quality per dollar and warranty. Currently been running the TBR 1000, no complaints.

Let me add this too. The 2 things I wanted in a rangefinder was the angle compensation and a colored LED display for low light conditions. Also my budget was $400.

The Leupold and Vortex met this criteria. You can't go wrong with either of these.

This will be for bowhunting. So are the ones under $150 just junk? I cant imagine spending that kind of money. No need to reach out to 1000 yds.

I hear the halos are good.

All the local stores have a small selection. It's all about what you want. Just go look through them.

Or go over to AT and find a used one.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 08-16-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Check out the Nikon Aculon. It doesn't have the angle compensation, though, if you want that.
    ~ George Washington