Thread: Duck survey

Default Duck survey

They are estimating 48 million breading ducks this year. Sounds low to me if you figure there are a million duck hunters and they kill an average of 48 birds a year then there are 0 left. What exactly is the numbers they talk about and how do they come up with them?
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Breeding ducks usually have babies. Most folks killed the babies and adults survive to breed again...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

And that doesnt account for the tamie population. Glad to know I'm slightly above the average duck hunter

Ha I know a bunch guys that don't kill 48 a season.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Bet you know a couple that kill 300+ as well.

It's tough to fit 16 Wood duck hunts in a season

I'd bet half the duck hunting people on this site kill less than 20 a season.
    Go Tigers!!!

Mergansers also weren't counted in the survey...just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    What exactly is the numbers they talk about and how do they come up with them?
    It's a calculated estimation. I'm no expert but the way I understand it is that they perform extensive flyovers and ground counts at critical breeding grounds, count the pairs then crunch the numbers.

Funny thing is the status of the Prarie Pothole Region can be staunchly different than that of wetlands in the Great Lakes Region and the eastern Canadian provinces (Quebec, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland) where many of the ducks we get are bred.

The count they provide is a general status of the total duck population on the continent. I don't really lose any sleep over it. Obviously a bad report means bad news for ducks, good reports still may not mean good harvests for us.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-13-2016 at 11:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    It's a calculated estimation. I'm no expert but the way I understand it is that they perform extensive flyovers and ground counts at critical breeding grounds, count the pairs then crunch the numbers.

Funny thing is the status of the Prarie Pothole Region can be staunchly different than that of wetlands in the Great Lakes Region and the eastern Canadian provinces (Quebec, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland) where many of the ducks we get are bred.

The count they provide is a general status of the total duck population on the continent. I don't really lose any sleep over it. Obviously a bad report means bad news for ducks, good reports still may not mean good harvests for us.
    Agreed... It's an overall estimate on the health of the population. I think some people take it too literally. Too many other factors will determine just how successful a season is. Weather, food sources, water, etc play as much of a factor or more in having a good season.

Looking pretty bleak as far as duck numbers go in the prairie potholes. Hopefully they bounce back next year

I'll have a report on water and ducks in Northern Sask in 3 weeks.
    80-20 Genaration

Keep us posted D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Northern Sask. Water looks good. Numbers look goods. Frost yesterday morn and speck seen moving into the area.
    80-20 Genaration

This right 'cheer

You've got one life. Blaze on!

Northern Sask. Water looks good. Numbers look goods. Frost yesterday morn and speck seen moving into the area.
    Damn I'm jealous!! Good luck