Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: stupid people

How come he had to go to callin' names and such?!? Damn.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Dentist are in a perpetual state of grumpiness.

Then comes Friday....

"Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

he called me an earthworm.

fridays arent so bad
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I don't read, but the pics transmitted the ideas pretty well, i think.

I was debating meat based vs plant based diets.

As far as that article, i agree completely. I have longed argued the same point. Strict paleo is not ideal for intense exercise, and from what I've seen most people today do Paleo-ish, modified with some extra carbs on training days, mainly rice. Carb cycling. If anyone is doing strict paleo still, they are being left behind in performance by people who take a more scientific approach to nutrition.
    Last edited by everlast; 09-14-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I'm not grumpy

There is no debate between plant based diets and those that include meat as a major portion. Seriously, there is NO debate. The facts are very simple. Plant based diets have been shown, unequivocally, to be healthier (which is defined as being less cancer, less heart disease, and longer life).

The rub, IMO, is that meat tastes good. So do eggs. So does cheese. HOWEVER, these foods have no necessity in a diet. NONE! You just cant debate that. Well, who am I kidding. Y'all will debate it but you just cant win this one.

Diet, to me, is hard. I have struggled with it for years. I have tried to rethink my meals as "vegetables with a side of meat" rather than "meat with a side of veggies." Its just not easy but its right (or at least CLOSER to right but I just cant be a vegetarian just yet).
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 09-14-2016 at 08:47 AM.

https://selfhacked.com/2015/12/11/dr...voidance-diet/

Vegetable Sensitivity
    Vegetables aren’t only incomplete sources of nutrients; for some people they can be downright harmful. First of all, vegetables are like grains and legumes in that they need to develop natural pesticides to survive. They can’t run away from insects, fungi, or other predators, so they rely on chemical defenses.

Many common vegetables (like zucchini, rhubarb, and bamboo shoots) contain a variety of toxins for this reason. The famous antioxidants that make vegetables so healthy are actually part of the plant’s natural defenses against predators. If you’re eating the plant, that predator is you. That isn’t to say that the antioxidants are actually dangerous – they are healthy, but they’re healthy as a hormetic stress: your body reacts to the challenge by bouncing back stronger than it was before. Hormetic stress is valuable in small amounts, but too much of it is just as dangerous as any other kind of stress.

As well as containing hormetic stressors, some vegetables cause an unpleasant reaction because of the type of carbohydrate they contain: these carbohydrates are called FODMAPs. FODMAPs vegetables are so numerous and sensitivity to them is so common that these vegetables get their own article. Essentially, FODMAPs carbohydrates aren’t completely broken down and absorbed in the intestinal system. All people have the same inability to completely digest them, but most of us aren’t sensitive to the low amounts in a normal quantity of vegetables. In FODMAPs-sensitive people, though, even a normal serving can cause bloating, digestive upset, and gut bacteria overgrowth. Common FODMAPs vegetables include onions, garlic, cabbage, and asparagus.

Nightshades are another class of vegetables that can be less than ideal. The nightshade family includes potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, and eggplant; these veggies contain lectins that can exacerbate autoimmune issues and trigger joint pain. Again, most people aren’t sensitive at all, but people who are sometimes see dramatic results from getting the nightshades out of their diet.

Hypothyroid symptoms are an additional reason to watch your vegetable intake. Some vegetables, especially cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cabbage, contain a type of chemicals called goitrogens. Goitrogens aren’t dangerous at all for healthy people, but an excess of goitrogenic foods can be dangerous for people who have poor thyroid function.

Some of these substances can be destroyed or reduced by cooking – nightshade lectins and goitrogens, for example, are both decreased during the cooking process. On the other hand, fermentation actually increases the goitrogen content of a food, so skip the sauerkraut if you have hypothyroid problems.

If none of these potential gut irritants give you any problems, that’s great. Dietary restrictions that are useful for sick people aren’t necessarily warranted for healthy people, so there’s absolutely no reason to limit any class of vegetables that doesn’t upset your stomach. But the number of potential vegetable intolerances should point out that not all plant foods are automatically healthy for everyone, especially eaten in excess.
    Last edited by everlast; 09-14-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

You saying it can't be debated and must be true is the equivalent of Dorothy clicking her heels.

Say it enough times and you'll believe it.

Hey genius, what did people do waaaaaay back when for food in the months where there were no seasonal plants/veggies/fruits for them to eat?

They ate meat and fat. Lots of it.

i am fairly certain that discussing diets of people waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when has NO BEARING on what is healthy or not. They are all dead (and most before the age of 40).

So, I prefer modern science. We CAN grow veggies year round. The data supports my position quite clearly.

and, glenn, a lot of those people moved to areas that could support them during those times.

Is cancer something the meat eaters from 5 million years ago had to deal with? THAT is an interesting debate.

i am fairly certain that discussing diets of people waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when has NO BEARING on what is healthy or not. They are all dead (and most before the age of 40).

So, I prefer modern science. We CAN grow veggies year round. The data supports my position quite clearly.

and, glenn, a lot of those people moved to areas that could support them during those times.

Is cancer something the meat eaters from 5 million years ago had to deal with? THAT is an interesting debate.
    I've got data that supports my position. Clearly.

Bottom line is you need protein, fats and carbohydrates in order to survive. The body can run on little to none of one of the three as long as you're getting the other two.

The lipid hypothesis was a lie. Grain base carbs and sugar are responsible for millions of deaths. Fact. Veggies and fruits as good as hell, most of them. Meat is good as hell. All of it. We can argue proportions all day long and get into macro counting if that's your thing. But meat and fat have been the forefront of our diet for millions of years and your emotions won't change it.

Cancer is a relatively new problem we as humans have had to deal with. The question to ask is why?

so, the article I posted was too hard for you to understand?

Its ok. A lot of people on this site couldnt read it, either.
    -Samuel Adams

I like ribeyes.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I think the question that everyone really wants the answer to is, if toofus and doogy doc went on a date, what would they eat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I'd make him cook me chicken.

Glenn likes the dark meat.

Fat and protein are essential macro nutrients. Carbs are not an essential macro nutrient.

Animals (people) evolved to use fat as their primary energy source.

But...

The insulin spike itself isn't the evil that comes from simple carbs. There are times of the day where you do want simple carbs but most the day you do not.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/...out-carbs.html

An insulin spike from a good steak doesn't have the same negative results that eating a piece of cake or a bowl of ice cream at 8 PM has.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/max_...n_response.htm
    Last edited by led0321; 09-15-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Again, y'all dont understand that Glenn and I agree on a lot of this.

He is basing his hypothesis on past civilizations. MY OPINION is that he starts out wrong.

We can study some of our history. Saying "millions of years ago" in any form isn't science. Its conjecture.

In todays "modern" world, we can row crop. We have also learned to domesticate animals. If you study recent history (not going back millions of years, just thousands), it is quite clear that indigenous populations that live at higher elevations OR nearer the equator were "healthier." (edited to add: this is an interesting concept that I will gladly explain....)

"The lipid hypothesis was a lie" is not true. I'm sorry. And you cant lump sugar and "grain based carbs" together as causing all those deaths you speak of. Again, there is plenty of literature on this.

Meat is NOT a necessary dietary component. Can it be? Of course. You DO need protein but there are "healthier" ways to get it. am I going to stop eating meat? no, I'm not. Not just yet.

When Glenn comments on a "skinny" athlete not being healthy, I disagree. The top athletes certainly worry about diet and exercise obsessively, but notice the ones that eat a lot of protein. They are "thicker." But to say that the other athletes arent healthy is totally misleading. They are BOTH healthy but their diet changes their body shop, as does their workout regimen.

I have often commented to Glenn that his EXERCISE routine is a very large part of his overall health. BUT from the studies I read, a plant-based diet is still the best choice.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 09-15-2016 at 07:31 AM.

"The lipid hypothesis was a lie" is not true. I'm sorry. And you cant lump sugar and "grain based carbs" together as causing all those deaths you speak of. Again, there is plenty of literature on this.

It was a lie. And I didn't lump 'em as the cause, physicians and researchers did. And, again, there is plenty of literature on this.