Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving up......well maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    What are the benefits of owning the boat?
    Make mama happy so I can fish longer. I also have two little girls that would like to get out of the elements every now and then. I really don't need a boat that big, but would like to have a genset and AC. Whats the saying...go big or go home. The routine maintenance isn't an issue, nor the slip fees or haul outs, its the thought of catastrophic engine failure that will squash this idea...for now.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Would you not be able to write part of the expenses off since it could be considered a second home?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Would you not be able to write part of the expenses off since it could be considered a second home?
    You can write off the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    You can write off the interest.
    Already doing that on current boat. It has a sink and a head, so it qualifies.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    Make mama happy so I can fish longer. I also have two little girls that would like to get out of the elements every now and then. I really don't need a boat that big, but would like to have a genset and AC. Whats the saying...go big or go home. The routine maintenance isn't an issue, nor the slip fees or haul outs, its the thought of catastrophic engine failure that will squash this idea...for now.
    You can get all that in a boat that you can put on a trailer. That you cut out 7-10k per year in expenses

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    You can get all that in a boat that you can put on a trailer. That you cut out 7-10k per year in expenses
    I'm all ears bro!!

Sportin' Woodies

You really should post this or either search on THT. You have gotten some decent information and some fucking retarded information.

I researched the crap out of it, but you will get better info on THT or boat diesel dot com.

Get something you can dry stack like a 31 Contender. That boat will eat your wallet alive buddy.

I have run em from 26 to 46 and the 200 a foot is just general upkeep and doesn't account for say a new strut , pumps failing, injectors failing, fuel line leaks, fuel pumps, transmission service, generator going down, AC going down, helm replacement/repair, steering replacement/repair, electronics, cooling system replacement/repair, bad fuel scenarios, and all the other gremlins that come along with an older bigger water bound inboard boat. Someone mentioned survey, you betcha better.

A wet slip alone even in Gtown is at minimum 400/month for something that size.

Be patient someone will come along with some real world recnet numbers but as G said you have to budget for it unless your really well off . With that rig and age I would think more like 25k a year budget if all goes well you might have some kitty left over.

Then figure fuel, bait , ice and if you aren't present you won't be wanting to ride down for the weekend to change oil, grease, packings etc.

Those are actually solid engines and thats low hours for them which is the only good I see with that vessel. If maintained 10k hours if your lucky, real lucky.

Bottom needs cleaning once a month in Gtown depending on what marina, zincs every year or less, bottom paint maybe every other year depending on what paint ..

Gives me heart burn just thinking about doing it all myself again and there isn't much I can't do on em but it drives you to not even wanting to see it after awhile.

Best of luck, sometimes you gotta taste the gruel to realize it ain't that good or that bad.
    Genesis 9;2

Good Luck. Best years the wife and I had was fishing outa GT Landing. Course cut the teeth out of Gulf Stream Marina/aka---- Marlin Quay now.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Get something you can dry stack like a 31 Contender. That boat will eat your wallet alive buddy.

I have run em from 26 to 46 and the 200 a foot is just general upkeep and doesn't account for say a new strut , pumps failing, injectors failing, fuel line leaks, fuel pumps, transmission service, generator going down, AC going down, helm replacement/repair, steering replacement/repair, electronics, cooling system replacement/repair, bad fuel scenarios, and all the other gremlins that come along with an older bigger water bound inboard boat. Someone mentioned survey, you betcha better.

Be patient someone will come along with some real world recnet numbers but as G said you have to budget for it unless your really well off . With that rig and age I would think more like 25k a year budget if all goes well you might have some kitty left over.

Then figure fuel, bait , ice and if you aren't present you won't be wanting to ride down for the weekend to change oil, grease, packings etc.

Those are actually solid engines and thats low hours for them which is the only good I see with that vessel. If maintained 10k hours if your lucky, real lucky.

Bottom needs cleaning once a month in Gtown depending on what marina, zincs every year or less, bottom paint maybe every other year depending on what paint ..

Gives me heart burn just thinking about doing it all myself again and there isn't much I can't do on em but it drives you to not even wanting to see it after awhile.

Best of luck, sometimes you gotta taste the gruel to realize it ain't that good or that bad.
    Thanks for the info. Mama says no to a CC, so it's got to have a cabin.

Sportin' Woodies

Alrighty then the 31 Fisharound Contender fo sho will ya make ya both happy. Couple for sale for around 70k right now and as mentioned The Hull Truth is a great spot to get some real world numbers partner.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post

No offense but plenty of outboards have all sorts of those same issues or similar. Want to tell me what a blown power head on a 300 Yamaha runs? Bad fuel? Broken starter? Autopilot breaks? Hydraulic stearing quits? Boats are expensive...I don't give a shit if you have inboards, outboards, keep it on a rack, in the water.

And low hours on 22 year old motors is not a good thing...

You trying to argue that inboards in salt water are just as easy to maintain/upkeep as a trailered boat with outboards?

Ask yourself this: Do I want to be a slave to my boat or do I actually want to use it? You live in the upstate correct? How often do you realistically see getting down here to use it? No sense in owning a boat you can't enjoy regularly. If you do get into it, how hard is it going to be to get out of it when you want to? Some of those boats have been for sale for years. Get a boat you'll enjoy using.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post

And low hours on 22 year old motors is not a good thing...

This is what stuck out to me. Any idea how many hours on the generator?
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Let's roll!

Posted from Samsung S7 Edge via TapaTalk.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    You trying to argue that inboards in salt water are just as easy to maintain/upkeep as a trailered boat with outboards?
    No, I'm saying a center console with outboards can have a laundry list of issues and maintenance costs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Ask yourself this: Do I want to be a slave to my boat or do I actually want to use it? You live in the upstate correct? How often do you realistically see getting down here to use it? No sense in owning a boat you can't enjoy regularly. If you do get into it, how hard is it going to be to get out of it when you want to? Some of those boats have been for sale for years. Get a boat you'll enjoy using.
    True. Wanna park in Camden? I'll at least keep a little miles off your haul. I've got the land just sitting there....

Posted from Samsung S7 Edge via TapaTalk.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    I'm all ears bro!!
    There are a few express cruisers that you can trailer. Also, there are some fishing boats that have accommodations for overnight stays. Really depends on what you are looking for and your budget.

Formula, donzi, Everglades, intrepid, scout......just to name a few. All these brands have 28-35 ft boats that have overnight accommodations and you can still trailer them

Savings I refer to is dockage/slip rental, bottom cleaning, & upkeep from staying in water 24/7
    Last edited by FHF; 06-28-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    There are a few express cruisers that you can trailer. Also, there are some fishing boats that have accommodations for overnight stays. Really depends on what you are looking for and your budget.

Formula, donzi, Everglades, intrepid, scout......just to name a few. All these brands have 28-35 ft boats that have overnight accommodations and you can still trailer them

Savings I refer to is dockage/slip rental, bottom cleaning, & upkeep from staying in water 24/7
    Not a bad idea....the more I think about you being 4 hours away from the boat in the water. We are all a slave to our boats at some point. But it's nice to be able to have the boat in your driveway or close by so you can work on it during the week.

The people in front of me at my marina live in Atlanta. They drive down every weekend to spend time on the boat. I rarely see them taking it out. Most of their time is spent doing maintenance or doing upgrades. I think they enjoy it to some degree, just like restoring an older car. But I also know they don't actually use the boat much for what it's real purpose is.