Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving up......well maybe.

Slip fees are retarded expensive these days. That combined with the cost of pulling the boat annually, insurance, and annual maintenance on motors. Not to mention it's an older boat and small stuff will need fixing. Your a handy dude but living a ways from the boat won't make it easy to maintain shit
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Guessing:
    - Ins $1200 yr
    - Bottom Scraping every 6 weeks...$800 yr
    - Engines regular maintenance/tune ups $4000 yr
    - Bottom painting every two yrs $500-700 per application
    - Slip fees in gtown $350-450 per mth
    - Taxes $1000 yr
    - Misc....wiring/topside upkeep/pumps/uplstry/ steering components $2500 a yr min if you do work yours self

It is truly a $ pit that you must love/use alot to be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    It actually makes tremendous sense. Im not sure what experiences you are basing your opinion on, but it has been a very close number over a several year average with various boats. A 28' boat and a 40' boat have different acquisition costs just as they have different maintenance costs. The smaller the boat, normally the smaller the engines, the fewer the cylinders, less expensive the maintenance is. Smaller boats have less component systems, Shore power/electrical systems are size dependent, and the amount of bottom to paint and clean is also dependent upon the length of the boat. A 28' boat may have 4 cylinder diesels and and no AC. 35' boat may have AC and no genset, running 6 cyl diesels. 40' has AC and genset and 8 cyl diesels, and so on.

Bear in mind this is not an all inclusive number but rather a budget number for just for maintenance items. Oil, fuel/oil filters, turbo cleansing, bottom paint, haulout, anodes, bottom cleaning, emgine heating/cooling maint, misc electrical. Yes it is engine dependent, as I guarantee C16 Cats will cost you more to keep running than a set 671Detroits.

Some years it may be more, some less. This is not a number that you can set your watch by, but merely something to plan around for long term cost of ownership. Catastrophic failures are a completely separate entity.

If you are paying for all of these services to be performed, it's not even close. Do the majority of your own mechanical maintenance, pay the yard to put it on the hill and do the bottom paint maintenance, and you will be alright.

ETA:. This assuming your boat is 90% "right" mechanically. These types of numbers don't work if you are also performing deferred maintenance from the previous owner and trying to take a 75% boat and make it 95%.

My point is that there are too many variables that determine the cost of ownership. The systems and equipment you wish to maintain determine the cost. That can vary greatly on two of the exact same size boats.

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    Guessing:
    - Ins $1200 yr
    - Bottom Scraping every 6 weeks...$800 yr
    - Engines regular maintenance/tune ups $4000 yr
    - Bottom painting every two yrs $500-700 per application
    - Slip fees in gtown $350-450 per mth
    - Taxes $1000 yr
    - Misc....wiring/topside upkeep/pumps/uplstry/ steering components $2500 a yr min if you do work yours self

It is truly a $ pit that you must love/use alot to be worth it.
    Every time you pull the boat is 2k
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Every time you pull the boat is 2k
    You need to find a different yard then...

Plan on $12-15/ft haul and block, and depending on your marina and the type of work you are doing for storage rate.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    You need to find a different yard then...
    Not talking about the fee to pull it. Talking about by the time you pull it, parts, labor, bottom paint ect

My FIL had a hatteras at St Simons, and he got deep,deep pockets. When he finally sold the boat. He said up keep on it in one year, he could of chartered any boat , anywhere and fish for anything for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You give me $75k and I'll crow hop my foot into your plums for 10 minutes.

It'll be cheaper and less painful in the long run.

The guy in red is a boat, you're the dude in white.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You give me $75k and I'll crow hop my foot into your plums for 10 minutes.

It'll be cheaper and less painful in the long run.
    Says the guy with 14 kids...

Way to squash my dreams guys. Seriously though, thanks for all of the info. What I hear all of you saying that I should buy a new Bayliss....
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I had a 32fter in Gtown from 2006-2011..... It is not $2500 to haul out block redo bottom and return to water......think the most it ever cost me was $1000 or so

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    Way to squash my dreams guys. Seriously though, thanks for all of the info. What I hear all of you saying that I should buy a new Bayliss....

Go buy the boat and enjoy it. We will help pay for it, with the items you'll be selling on the TP for upkeep .

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Says the guy with 14 kids...
    Nobody made me that offer or I would have taken it.

Bright side? Only one girl. Less unicorns to buy.

What are the benefits of owning the boat?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Just buy yourself a 27 - 32 center console with outboards
    Thank me later

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    You can eat all the bananas you want

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Just buy yourself a 27 - 32 center console with outboards
    Thank me later
    Because those don't break down and require oil changes, fuel filters, electronics, electrical fixes, etc, etc, etc??

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    he can pretend he is running with the big dawgs.