Thread: Freedom boat club

Default Freedom boat club

While I was looking at a boat with a co- worker at a marina in Savannah, I notice freedom boat club and the amount of boats they had. Googled them and ask for info. 6000 up front and 250 a month for unlimited use of any boat they got or 3000 up front and 200 a month for weekdays only. Anybody heard or had any dealings with this outfit.

I'm not but always thought something like this made alot of sense.

My concerns would be how far in advance do you have to reserve the boats? What about fuel? What kinds of boats do they have? How many members?

And in your case would they be willing to trade for some equipment?
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 07-11-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I'm not but always thought something like this made alot of sense.

My concerns would be how far in advance do you have to reserve the boats? What about fuel? What kinds of boats do they have? How many members
    And in your case would they be willing to trade for some equipment?
    They had anything from hurricane deckboats to 20+foot CC.
    They didn't want to trade for a membership, so I told them we may not be able to do business till they come around to the way I do bizness.

What about membership? Is it transferrable?

If not the sunken cost effect would be a big factor. (You keep paying the $250 each month because you'll loose your 6k. )

Eta: take them for a tour of the shop. I KNOW you have something they need even if they don't know it yet.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 07-11-2016 at 07:41 PM.

I don't know anything about clubs like this but I think there is one in Charleston. I'd read the fine print.

6000 up front and 250 monthly and if you want out 6000 gone . Non transferable , but they got boats everywhere. Seatow and boats are fully equipped with electronics. For the price it cost the boat for dry storage my buddy was looking at was 250 a month for a 18 ft sea-ray.

You can use their boats at any of the locations around the country. I believe you can buy another persons membership from them as well. Some people love it and it's not a fit for others.

And tell your buddy....fuck a sea ray

There could be a great benefit... No insurance, no property taxes, no maintenance, no trailering, etc.

Not to mention -- you take out the boat of your liking for the day.

See if anyone over @ CF.com has experience with them.

The biggest draw back I see to it is you are strapped to their hours. If you can boat 2 to 3 times a week, it's a good deal. And I like the fact that membership is across all their locations. Go to Florida or up to New York on vacation, you are covered to use a boat. If you had a way to research member numbers vs boat numbers and how often they are booked up, could make difference in it being worth while. I have heard stories of newer members not getting opportunity to use due to being bumped by senior members.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    The biggest draw back I see to it is you are strapped to their hours. If you can boat 2 to 3 times a week, it's a good deal. And I like the fact that membership is across all their locations. Go to Florida or up to New York on vacation, you are covered to use a boat. If you had a way to research member numbers vs boat numbers and how often they are booked up, could make difference in it being worth while. I have heard stories of newer members not getting opportunity to use due to being bumped by senior members.
    Yeah, I looked at some reviews and a lot are saying the boats are booked weeks in advance . The problem I see is I don't plan weekends weeks in advance.

I have a family member who is a member, went out recently with them when invited to go fishing. If you like to pleasure cruise during the hours they allow you on the water it's great. If you enjoy fishing look elsewhere, the premium bay boat set up for fishing that was reserved was very disappointing.

The part that got the most me was when we got back to the dock. A small army of people unloaded the boat without being asked, treated everyone like novice boaters, told us the safest way to exit the boat, then stuck their hand out for a tip while delivering the gas bill.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I have a family member who is a member, went out recently with them when invited to go fishing. If you like to pleasure cruise during the hours they allow you on the water it's great. If you enjoy fishing look elsewhere, the premium bay boat set up for fishing that was reserved was very disappointing.

The part that got the most me was when we got back to the dock. A small army of people unloaded the boat without being asked, treated everyone like novice boaters, told us the safest way to exit the boat, then stuck their hand out for a tip while delivering the gas bill.
    What got you about that? They are offering a turn key service to people who don't want the hassle of trailering, washing,fueling, and maintaining a boat. And the vast majority of their customers don't know the difference in bow vs stern.

I noticed all them guys off loading boats and putting personal belongings in a dock cart and pushing it up the dock to people's cars. I wanderi if they have a inflated fuel price to cover dock help wages.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    What got you about that? They are offering a turn key service to people who don't want the hassle of trailering, washing,fueling, and maintaining a boat. And the vast majority of their customers don't know the difference in bow vs stern.
    Could not agree more. For the right person it's a great option.

For $6000 plus monthly payments I'd rather have some equity, something tailered to what I want to do on the water, and that I can use on my own terms.

Any bayliner deck boats? Sea doo jet boats? May be interested.

They say if it flys, floats or fucks it's cheaper to rent.

Could not agree more. For the right person it's a great option.

For $6000 plus monthly payments I'd rather have some equity, something tailered to what I want to do on the water, and that I can use on my own terms.
    Agreed.

J&J on Lake Marion has started a boat club. I believe it's under new ownership. Their deal is $500 initiation fee and $200/mo. You don't pay December and January so $2000/yr. Right now I believe they have a couple of new pontoons and supposedly as they build up membership they will add boats. They have broken up each day into 3 parts, morning, afternoon, and evening and you reserve your slot. It would be a good fit for some. No taxes, boat payment, insurance, upkeep, trailering, etc. All you pay for is gas. If you knew you could get a boat nearly anytime you wanted it would be far cheaper then owning.
    I don't know if there are any restrictions on whether or not you can take the boat off of Marion (if you wanted to go through the locks or to Moultrie).

Have a friend in it. They have boats from MI to Southport that he has used. I think you have to be flexible on when you want to go, but so far, I think hes been happy. Its worth it to me to get in and go and leave that sucker for someone else to clean. I recently sold mine and havent missed it yet.
    Low country redneck who moved north