Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving up......well maybe.

Default Moving up......well maybe.

Throwing around the idea of moving up to a 36' express/sportfish.

Outside of fuel, slip rental, misc mechanical fixes and other small items what am I missing? Does it need bottom paint each year?

Boat will be kept in Georgetown.

Boat is a '92 Canaveral Custom
    Engines are Cummins, Diamond Series, 430hp and have 1742/1757 hrs on them. How many hours should these go if they have been properly maintained.

I feel like I could get into this pretty easily once mine sales but I don't know anything about maintaining a boat that large.

School me on owning a boat like this and if I get real serious I'll defiantly have a survey done.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Everything is more complicated and expensive (check on what an oil change will cost in oil and filters alone...it won't be cheap and that's only one maintenance item) and all that largely stems from not being able to put that boat on a trailer when you want to haul it. Prepare to pay someone real money whenever it needs to be hauled, for bottom paint or otherwise. I don't know anything about those engines specifically, but you'll need to get an oil analysis done on them to get an idea of what kind of shape they're in. I'm sure they could go a long time if they've been well-maintained, but they could also blow up soon after you buy the boat. I'd imagine a repower on that rig is 75k+/-. Also keep in mind the amount of time you will need to devote to that animal to stay on top of things.

Take the issues you have had so far and multiply by 1000. It's just a bigger hole in the water in which to throw money.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Gracious, those used to be some ugly boats. Supposedly well built, but looked like Fido's ass. I hope you are already married, 'cause that thing won't help you in that department. The bad thing about having a well built ugly boat? It'll be an ugly boat for long time !!

ETA:. Used to be one at GLM a while back. It looked like a Blackfin's pale, freckled, redheaded step sister.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 06-27-2016 at 01:05 PM.

When Whaler Dave sold my big boat I was a happy man.

I am not sure about bottom paint, but you will need to get the bottom cleaned about once a year

The only schooling you need is a deep pocket,and everything will be ok!!

I know this isn't what you asked but having an idea of the route you may be considering I'll offer it anyway. If considering it as a floating condo for trips I would highly suggested going at least 40' or longer. A 36' will get small when staying on it for long weekends with the family in the slip. Certainly doable but something to consider...

If you're asking about how much it will cost to maintain it then you can't afford it. Not being a dick. I looked into it and honest assessment was 15k annually minimum of everything goes right
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    If you're asking about how much it will cost to maintain it then you can't afford it. Not being a dick. I looked into it and honest assessment was 15k annually minimum of everything goes right
    When you say 15k, what size boat? Are you mechanically inclined or do you pay someone for everything? Is that 15 including the payments? Just asking.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

Sportin' Woodies

I believe you are severely under estimating your costs. I will go into a little more detail when I actually have a keyboard in front of me.

A good budget number has always been $200/foot per year for maintenance. Upgrade are gravy on top of that number.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I believe you are severely under estimating your costs. I will go into a little more detail when I actually have a keyboard in front of me.

A good budget number has always been $200/foot per year for maintenance. Upgrade are gravy on top of that number.
    Thanks for the info. I do not know the costs....hence why I'm asking. Please feel free to shoot me a PM when you get infront of the keyboard.

Sportin' Woodies

It's been 10+ years since we wet slipped a 32' in Charleston. Other than slip fees and other expected bills I always remembered the bottom growth was terrible and we hauled and bottom painted every two years. Also had a diver scrap the bottom once a month 9-10 months out of the year. Electrolysis seemed to be pretty bad also and we were always replacing anodes.
    I'd imagine water conditions in GT are similar.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 06-27-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post

I disagree. Mechanics, electricians, etc charge based on parts and labor. They don't charge you based on the length of your boat. (With the exception of paint)
    I have never understood the $ per foot estimate. Some boats aren't kept up well and need constant fixing, while others are in relatively good condition and maintained. Sweat equity is also a huge differentiator. If you have to call a mechanic everytime you want the oil checked....well then it's going to cost you a small fortune. On the other hand...80% of work on most boats can be done by the owner. And at a fraction of the cost.

You will be an absentee owner, it will be more expensive. Boats are like women, they need steady attention; a big boat is like a two year old it needs constant attention. If you are set on it, find someone who can check on things several days a week, that helps keep good boats floating.
    cut\'em

take whatever you think it will cost and double it. If you can still afford it, then go for it

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I disagree. Mechanics, electricians, etc charge based on parts and labor. They don't charge you based on the length of your boat. (With the exception of paint)
    I have never understood the $ per foot estimate. Some boats aren't kept up well and need constant fixing, while others are in relatively good condition and maintained. Sweat equity is also a huge differentiator. If you have to call a mechanic everytime you want the oil checked....well then it's going to cost you a small fortune. On the other hand...80% of work on most boats can be done by the owner. And at a fraction of the cost.
    It actually makes tremendous sense. Im not sure what experiences you are basing your opinion on, but it has been a very close number over a several year average with various boats. A 28' boat and a 40' boat have different acquisition costs just as they have different maintenance costs. The smaller the boat, normally the smaller the engines, the fewer the cylinders, less expensive the maintenance is. Smaller boats have less component systems, Shore power/electrical systems are size dependent, and the amount of bottom to paint and clean is also dependent upon the length of the boat. A 28' boat may have 4 cylinder diesels and and no AC. 35' boat may have AC and no genset, running 6 cyl diesels. 40' has AC and genset and 8 cyl diesels, and so on.

Bear in mind this is not an all inclusive number but rather a budget number for just for maintenance items. Oil, fuel/oil filters, turbo cleansing, bottom paint, haulout, anodes, bottom cleaning, emgine heating/cooling maint, misc electrical. Yes it is engine dependent, as I guarantee C16 Cats will cost you more to keep running than a set 671Detroits.

Some years it may be more, some less. This is not a number that you can set your watch by, but merely something to plan around for long term cost of ownership. Catastrophic failures are a completely separate entity.

If you are paying for all of these services to be performed, it's not even close. Do the majority of your own mechanical maintenance, pay the yard to put it on the hill and do the bottom paint maintenance, and you will be alright.

ETA:. This assuming your boat is 90% "right" mechanically. These types of numbers don't work if you are also performing deferred maintenance from the previous owner and trying to take a 75% boat and make it 95%.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 06-27-2016 at 04:06 PM.

good info boys.....keep it coming.

Sportin' Woodies

The faster the current moves at your slip, the more often the bottom will need to be cleaned(divers) and painted(haul out). I'd get a thorough survey done by a reputable surveyor before pulling the trigger so that you have a baseline idea for what kind of deferred maintenance you will be dealing with. I looked at that boat online and would think hard about updating the electronics. The radar unit is ancient. When was the last time the liferaft was replaced or serviced? It should be serviced annually and replaced every 8-10 years along with the EPIRB.