Thread: Flying your dog on a Airline??

I may be taking a trip and would like to have the pup go to but not sure about flying her on an airline. So, Have you? Would you? If so why or why not?
    80-20 Genaration

it costs too damn much.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Damn I hate to say this but I agree with 2th.

I flew my dog with me to Oklahoma about 4 years ago and it was $175 round trip. It was nerve racking as hell. The dog made it just fine.

2 years ago I checked in to flying him to Miss. and it was $450 round trip. His ticket cost double what mine did. It's my perception the airlines would just rather not fool with it so they price people like you and me out of the market.

Any idea what a chartered flight would cost? I was just thinking if you had enough people going with dogs could you justify it. I have no idea what the cost would be, just a thought.

DT

I fly mine to NoDak every year and it is $400.00. I think it is worth it just to watch her work. It certainly adds to the experience.

You don't lose any birds...
    You can hunt sharpies and pheasants...
    It will just about "finish" a started dog...
    You will not wish you had brought your dog while you are there...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Last year it was $100.00 on American from here to N. Dakota. Hope it's not that much this year.
    Jack of all trades, master of none

Originally posted by Love2BOutdoors:
    Last year it was $100.00 on American from here to N. Dakota. Hope it's not that much this year.
    ...each way.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I didn't see where American flew to NoDak.
    Will Rogers

Sorry, we flew into Twin Cities and then drove 7 hours. It was $100 each way. This year we had decided to fly into Bismark but if it costs that much, we may drive from Minn.
    Jack of all trades, master of none

Damn, remember the good ol days when I used to be the only sandlapper in nodak . Wont be long till we have a reputation up there tooo. Guess it is time to head even further west

We fly dogs each year. I buy pups from all over and have them flown, no big deal. Except the time US Air lost a 20,000.00 bird dog of Gene Casale's for 3 days. That was one cussin ol connecticut yankee . It is not as traumatic as most people make out, the dogs are fine with it. Pup coming in next week cost 250 because it has to be sent guaranteed nite time due to heat. Usually 175 without going with a passanger, or about 125 with a passanger.

Good luck and have fun with your dog on the trip, it is well worth it.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

I work for Contintental and the reason for the high price is insurance in case of a booboo. They would just as soon not carry them. As for there safety they are presureized the same as u. The pressure bulk head is the same one around u. You might have a hard time out of Columbia cause most of the jets out of there are regional and most dont carry animals in cargo.
    Kill em all, let the dog sort em out!

What does it cost if he is a blind man's seeing eye dog?? "hehe"
    Dubshot<br />It\'s always something!!

I called a girl I know who is a stewardess and asked her that very question. She just laughed...

After you buy a harness - $140.00 - and have your dog drag you through the airport... Nahhhh ... Mine would not pass the test.
    Will Rogers

Plus... A blind man with a shotgun WILL draw attention.
    Will Rogers

the pressurization always scares me with my dogs ears...hunting a deaf dog is like Ray Charles shooting skeet !!!!
    student and child prodigy of the "Professor's" duckology!

The airlines have lost (misplaced) my luggage too many times! I spent three days in Jamaica with a three piece WOOL suit (was wearing it when I left Columbia in January) and a whole week in Montana without a fly rod, waders, or wading boots.
    I'm NOT taking a chance on them loosing my dog! I bought some shorts and another rod, but how would I replace my dog for a week?!!
    I always drive to where I go, including North Dakota.
    JMO
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)