Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santee Cooper Lakes Habitat Enhancement

Default Santee Cooper Lakes Habitat Enhancement

Over the last several months we have been working with Santee Cooper, SCDNR, The Santee National Wildlfe Refuge, and local, lake-surrounding town leaders, discussing improvements for our lakes and the economies that border them.

There are many of us that care about the future of our area, and we are taking pro-active steps to return the Santee Cooper Lakes to a wildlife haven, a tourist destination, the home of freshwater fishing and duck hunting in South Carolina.

Here is where we need your help.

We have been given permission to install SAV enclosures in portions of Marion and Moultrie, including the SNWR.
    Our plan is to build a dozen enclosures in the Bluff Unit, a dozen in the Pine Island Unit, and a dozen in the Cuddo Unit.
    As well as a half dozen at the area known as the Blowout, a half dozen in the area known as Crappie Neck, and on the Lower Lake - the area known as Coon Hill island, The Hatchery WMA, and West Dike.

Our plan is to construct these enclosures out of metal fence post, plastic mesh, and treated 2x4 wood.

We will be setting up a way to donate money towards this project shortly.

Those of you interested in helping monetarily or with labor, please respond to this thread.
    Now is your chance. We all wax poetic about what we can do to help public waterfowl hunting in SC, well here is a viable project.

We will be responsible for constructing all enclosures under Santee Cooper and SCDNR's supervision.
    Pleas respond to this thread if you are willing to help.

More details to come.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I'll support
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I'm in just let me know when
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

This is it boys. All it takes it money.

There are several thousand active members of this forum.

If we all put in just 10$ we can really accomplish something.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I'm in... For labor and $
    Last edited by winyah_82; 05-19-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Keep me posted Bog. I'll have my 24' Seaark on standby for moving materials and doing installs.

What is the time frame?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

In addition to the enclosures, we will be working to spray giant cutgrass (commonly known as sawgrass) within the Hickory Top WMA and the area known as Suber Flats.

Giant Cutgrass is a problematic species on the lakes, especially upper Marion.

Due to constant water fluctuations, shallow flats type areas are susceptible to cutgrass expansion. Given the hardiness of this plant, it has begun to close off large areas of shallow waterfowl habitat in the upper reaches of Marion.
    By spraying these areas, we are opening several hundred acres, and allowing beneficial aquatic plants to grow, if only for a while.

Over the next 3 years we hope to open nearly 600 acres of shallow water, flats habitat within the Hickory Top WMA.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Keep me posted Bog. I'll have my 24' Seaark on standby for moving materials and doing installs.

What is the time frame?
    Personally I would like to start installations around mid-late June.

I will have to coordinate with Santee Cooper and SCDNR on transplanting dates and likely those involved in the actual tranplanting process, will have to undergo a plant ID course - so no non-desirable plants are moved in the process.
    That group will likely be small.

Where we will really need the help is money to build them, and labor to install them.

I'm in. If I can't work I'll donate.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Is this what you were talking about when you said you needed some sago pond weed??

I have a 25' pontoon boat with all the seats pulled out. I can help get stuff to crappieneck from our lake house.

im in
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

I'll help with labor and money as long as I can get my wife back to good health by the time we start.
    867-5309

I may be able to get a company to donate some chemicals for that sawgrass
    Last edited by coot nasty; 05-19-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Count me in
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

I will be set up a site to donate $ to.

These enclosures will essentially be nurseries for vallisneria as well as test sites for val in areas where it has not grown before.
    It really is a great project and a great step forward for habitat enhancement in SC.

I'm excited to see new areas tested.

I'm in! Just say when!

N
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I'm in