Thread: Silver and Gray Labs???

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Anybody seen these? Looks like these folks are breeding recessive genes, that may not be good.

http://www.silvervalleykennels.com/

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Looks like a weinerrammer got in with the bitch. I can't believe the AKC would even consider registering these dogs especially as a chocolate. This place is obviously just a puppy mill. I didn't see any accomplishments of any of the parents or any hip or eye info. All it said it does is hangs out with his wife. SHIT EATERS do that.

Mutt or not, that silver one is a purdy sonofabitch.
    \"I\'d rather go to hell than Clemson\".<br /><br />QDM= Quantity of Deer Murdered

Yeah I agree that they're probably just biscuit eaters, but damn if that silver ain't a pretty little booger!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I had never heard of them either, but it seems that they do exist.(other than this post) Its probably just some kind of gene screw up. The pictures I saw of the gray and silver dogs seemed like there legs wernt as long either. I guess its kind of like a white lab?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

lab genetics for the layman

The Truth Behind "Silver" Labradors
    People that breed silver labs register them as chocolate. A dog's genetic makeup is very complex (like us) and many genes are involved in coat color. The genes are all present in every dog however only certain ones get "turned on" like a switch and all others are off depending on what breed or what goes into a puppy in the case of a mixed breed. A labrador's coat color is dependent on many genes being turned on and off - the ones we commonly think of that dictate color in our breed are the B and E genes of coat color being "turned on" - other genes like T for ticking is always turned off and still other genes like the A gene causes a dog's coat to be all one color. We know that If a lab has BB or Bb then black is dominant, if it has bb then the dog is chocolate. However the E gene acts as a epistatic gene or "masking" gene; in other words if the dog has Ee or EE then the color is soley dependent on what is present at the B gene (BB, Bb, or bb) but if the dog has ee then it will ALWAYS be yellow no matter what is present at the B gene.

The silver coloration comes into play when the D gene is turned on - which does not happen in labradors. If the D gene is dd then it will "dilute" the coloration if the B gene is bb in labradors. In other breeds the dilute combo (dd) can make a Bb or BB dog gray or "blue". A dog like the doberman has this dilute gene pattern and therefore "blue" dobies can arise from a black doberman that has this dilute combination. Other breeds like Great Danes, Chow Chows, and German Shepherds can be diluted. Some breeds accept the color and others do not.

The breeders of silver labs say that it is not the work of the D gene but of the B gene working in conjunction with the C gene which I don't think is true in Labradors - (C for "concentration" can cause fox reds in our breed when combined with ee and it can influence the concentration of black or chocolate expression as well - goes into why some chocolates are darker than others).

I would suspect that silver labs were a combination of a Labrador and a Weimaraner - they ALWAYS have the diluted D gene turned on (dd). This combo would produce a dog that would essentially look like a lab and if bred to a chocolate lab then the results would look and most likely act like labs (due to the Weim also being a gun dog and having a vaguely similar build and temperment when compared to many other breeds) - and the dilute gene could be "turned on" because of an introduction of this dilute combination. The resulting offspring could carry this - silver breeders comment that all silver puppies come from a silver x silver cross, and silver x chocolate give either silver puppies or chocolate puppies that carry silver. This would agree with the D gene hypothesis - two parents with dd would only give a d gene and the puppies would all have dd and would therefore be silver.

In any case - they are not Labradors and breeders of them (in my opinion) are corrupting a breed that is in trouble due to it's popularity anyway. We don't need any more problems and we certainly already have our hands full with the three colors already being expressed!!!

That's Right!!!!!!! If people were more worried about what they could do instead of what they looked like then the breed would be perpetuated in a much better way. After all We're hunting with them not sleeping with them!!!!

Good read! Thanks!!

They are not a Labrador Retriever in my book. They are not recognized by the AKC, and that is that. Cute lil booger though!
    At least I'm housebroken.

It doesnt matter if they are considerd a lab or not,the whole purpose of the akc,ckc,or the ukc is to get more money. The only thing that should matter is the dogs ability to hunt and if you are satisfied with them,but thats only my opinion.

I agree wit scdc. The dumbest s#$% eatin dog I ever owned had a string of papers long as a toilet roll. The best hunting dogs I ever owned were not documented. I have seen some fine hunting papered dogs but it doesn't really matter to me. Ifin a kurr will fetch a burd then thats what I'm ahuntin' wit.
    easy livin'

www.silverlabs.com
    The site above has some info on the breedings and the AKC stance.
    Nitz, Im not sure where they get the silver look from or even if what their doing is right or if it is hurting the breed but the AKC does recognize them. Granted as a chocolate variation and not silver but they are recognized.
    At least y'all aint got some nut out there breeding them with a deutsche wachtlehund(sp?)
    That's a problem the boykin is facing right now.
    Guess some people can't leave well enough alone.
    The silver is a good looking dog though it would be nice to see what one could do in the field or blind.
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

I saw one of those douce waterhounds last weekend at a trial. What a piece of shit. The owner wasn't much smarter either. The problem with those people is they are trying to prove a point and don't know how to do it. They only want to make themselves feel more important than they really are.

That's what I meant. They are not registered as a "Silver", therefore the whole process of billing them as such just calls the Labrador breed's status into question. I feel like these "Silver Labs" should be unrecognized as a Labrador, but what the heck.
    At least I'm housebroken.

It does seem funny that all the years of lab breeding that these "grey labs " pop up now.

Registration is for insuring you are knowing what you are getting. If your dumb dog had a string of papers a mile long, then it should have been a mile of dumb ass dogs. Genetics is gentics, in color, in intelligence, in drive. Breed registration is about repeatability.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

What you have here is a gimic so someone can appeal to the person who has the mentality of the "I got something you ain't got" .They just do this to make themselves feel more important.