Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bimini via Florida in a small boat?

Default Bimini via Florida in a small boat?

Any of y'all been to Bimini from Florida in a 25ft less boat? Wanting to try it before I die!
    Low country redneck who moved north

We are going in a 26 Grady next spring.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I've done it in a 53' Hatteras, trolling for wahoo at 13 knots, and catching them. I wouldn't try it in a boat under 32'. That's a lot of ocean between the islands and Palm Beach and I've seen it get very rough. We even had to lay up in the Bahamas for 3 extra days waiting for the ocean to lay down before we could get back home.
    At a bare minimum, your boat should have twin engines, offshore liferaft, type 1 PFD's and an EPIRB. Good luck and be safe!

Went over from Jupiter in a 25' a couple summers ago, the ride over was glass but coming back was brutal.

Linking up with another boat or two making the crossing can improve safety and is pretty common when crossing in smaller boats.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 04-13-2016 at 05:54 PM.

I know an old man from Fort Pierce that's done it countless times in a 17ft McKee craft
    West Palm to West End. Crazy old sucker.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

People do it every day on rafts. Pick your days, buddy boat, all necessary safety gear and have fun. I would be in for doing it next year if you would be interested in getting a group up. I have a single engine 24' pursuit.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Ol' Flip did it in a 16 HB skiff. At night.

Its a hoot and yes it can get rough as shit as in 20 ft rough.
    Genesis 9;2

Pick your days and not a problem
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

It is a great trip. Just make sure that you are flexible on both ends of the trip. It's right at 50 miles from WPB to clear at West End. You would be clearing customs on a Bimini trip quicker then you can be to 200' of water out of Chas.

Stay at Bimini Sands and dock the boat right in front of your condo.

Bucket list item for me.

Quote Originally Posted by caw caw View Post
    At a bare minimum, your boat should have twin engines, offshore liferaft, type 1 PFD's and an EPIRB. Good luck and be safe!
    This is good advice.

Yes

I went from a West Palm to Hopetown last summer. Awesome trip! Hope to do it again soon

Flip Pallot did it in a 16ft hells bay whipray tiller at night.
    Last edited by yellowrooster297; 04-13-2016 at 10:45 PM.

Many a trip from Bahamas to Charleston in a small sailboat. 60 hour trip. Some were smooth and some were terrible. A sailboat does travel at a good trolling speed.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by caw caw View Post
    I've done it in a 53' Hatteras, trolling for wahoo at 13 knots, and catching them. I wouldn't try it in a boat under 32'. That's a lot of ocean between the islands and Palm Beach and I've seen it get very rough. We even had to lay up in the Bahamas for 3 extra days waiting for the ocean to lay down before we could get back home.
    How do you think the wave runners get there?

It's no different than going offshore from SC, just be smart when judging the conditions/weather. The same rules apply to going to fish the stream as they do when heading to Bimini.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    How do you think the wave runners get there?

It's no different than going offshore from SC, just be smart when judging the conditions/weather. The same rules apply to going to fish the stream as they do when heading to Bimini.
    Eeyuup.

Nice thing about the crossing, is that worst case you are only 25 miles from land one way or the other. Hour and half to 2 hour trip depending on your cruise and where you leave from.

It doesn't matter if you are in 10 feet of water or 1000 feet of water. Anything over 6' and I'm going under.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies