Thread: Halon/React

Default Halon/React

Finally was able to go out today and try out the new halon. I've been more excited to try this bow for a wile, and there has been a big hype on this bow since it was presented to the market.

I have it set up with a 67lb draw, 28.5" draw length, with a considerably large peep for more range of view. Accessories include the B-Stinger 8" stabilizer, QAD HDX Mathews edition, and the React V5 sight.

Now to the bow, I will say, that I realize now why so much hype. Bow has a very smooth draw cycle with a nice solid wall. After further in depth shooting I will say I am very comfortable with the let off, and capable of holding a longer draw at a comfortable stance. After let off, I feel very little vibration, and its a whisper compared to all the bowtechs I've shot with a loud thud. Furthermore I will say it is fast, and down right accurate. Just from what I have shot today, overall I rate this bow very significantly.

React V5: Love this sight, that simple. I am a big fan of the original react sight trophy ridge came out with because of the bright ass pins, and I do mean like you feel a light is on during the middle of the day bright. It also is very convenient to sight in, and you only sight the 20-30 with the rest mathematically derived from the react technology.

What sets the v5 up is the vertical pin placement rather than the horizontal. This gives a full range of view, and no obstruction from the pin body it self. This gives a lot more advantage to range of view, and to fully make out the target. They had one similar several years back that you adjust each pin with a quick release system and loved it on my allegiance. Wondered when they would ever come back out with another. If you like the react, then I highly recommend trying this .

Last edited by dhall1693; 04-11-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I want first dibs when you sell it. I figure I can scrape up the money by next year. Your dimensions are perfect for me too.

That sight does indeed look nice.

What's the brace height?

6" its the halon 6
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Its a sweet bow for sure! I will probably end up with one before the year is out.

I have been shooting mine for two weeks now and I do not regret selling my Creed. Definitely fast!
    Only difference is I am shooting the horizontal pins.
    Last edited by BugBuster; 04-11-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

6" brace height doesn't sting your wrist when you shoot? That's really short. Anything close to 7" hits my wrist. None of mine have string stoppers and I shoot with a low wrist.

I've always thought that brace height was a trade off on the extra length of the power stroke (speed) and sensitivity to bow hand torque (accuracy). It sure doesn't seem to be affecting your accuracy.

The Halon is awesome. I tried it and the HTX. The HTX ultimately just fit me and felt better for me personally. I went with the IQ sight with no peep just bare string. Really opens up field of view. Both of these bows are incredibly quiet and I feel nothing when the shot goes off. I really like the flat grip also, sits the same in my hand every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    6" brace height doesn't sting your wrist when you shoot? That's really short. Anything close to 7" hits my wrist. None of mine have string stoppers and I shoot with a low wrist.

I've always thought that brace height was a trade off on the extra length of the power stroke (speed) and sensitivity to bow hand torque (accuracy). It sure doesn't seem to be affecting your accuracy.

If a 7" BH is hitting your wrist, then you have your draw length set too long. Shorten it up. You will stop hitting your wrist and I guarantee your accuracy will improve.

Regarding the Halon 6 - I shot it about two weeks ago and it's smooth and fast(er than other Mathews). I've shot a Bear Motive 6 for the past three years and it's a 350ibo bow. Love the speed. But it's 4.0lbs heavy and I was shopping for a lighter bow.

That is the biggest draw back to the Halon. At 4.55lbs bare, I t's like holding a cinder block. I ended up buying a used Heli-m on ArcheryTalk as it has all the specs I'm looking for except the speed, and I love it.

I liked the creed and NoCam, but both are below acceptable speeds for me. I wish they would revive the Heli-m with a 6" BH to get the speed up to 342ibo. That would be perfect!
    Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by hi_c View Post
    If a 7" BH is hitting your wrist, then you have your draw length set too long. Shorten it up. You will stop hitting your wrist and I guarantee your accuracy will improve.
    How does draw length affect the string hitting my wrist? I'm already shooting almost an inch shorter draw than what I have been measured.

I am pretty "double jointed" in my elbows and have to be careful not to hyper extend my arm or I'll get some serious string rash.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    How does draw length affect the string hitting my wrist? I'm already shooting almost an inch shorter draw than what I have been measured.

I am pretty "double jointed" in my elbows and have to be careful not to hyper extend my arm or I'll get some serious string rash.
    If draw length is too long, most people would have to over extend their arm which puts their arm closer to the string. Try and shoot with a slight bend in your elbow. If you're already doing that then the problem is most likely your grip. You are either torquing the bow or your grip puts your arm in the way of the string. Your nuckles should be coming off at a 45 degree angle like / if you are a right handed shooter. Fingers should be relaxed, not straight out and not gripping the bow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk