Thread: Training over Breeding

Good training matters more than breeding

By John Ross
    FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, October 3, 2004

Dear Dog Talk: I live in Chicago and recently came across your "Dog Talk" column (www.the-real-dog-talk.com) while browsing the web. I have been reading some of your columns, and I find your knowledge of dogs very helpful. I am curious to know your opinion about the Chesapeake Bay retriever.
    I am married with three dog-crazy daughters. We recently acquired a Chessie for a family pet. A friend told me about this breed a few years ago, and I read up on them. I was attracted to the breed because of their activity level (we are an active family, and we want an active dog), their intelligence and their reputation for being loyal.

I have read where Chessies have been labeled as stubborn by some trainers and that they require special training because of their intelligence. I have also heard that Chessies want to do things "their way." It is as if Chessies have a "way" different from other sporting dogs or working dogs. However, I do not buy into this mentality. I figured that with my experience, patience and willingness to study dog training, I could handle training our new Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Chester is 5 months old. Tonight we finish our puppy class. He is taking his training very well and making progress. We are already registered for a basic obedience class that starts next month. Chester is, in my opinion, the best of the 15 dogs in our puppy class. When the class was still new (second session), the trainer told me, "Chessies can be difficult." She sounded out some of the reading I had done.

However, Chester is anything but difficult. I know that a lot has to do with the individual puppy and that maybe we got lucky with our pick from the litter. But Chester is really laid back, and everyone that meets him says, "He is really laid back for such a young puppy." Have you found Chessies to be difficult? Will Chester become more of a challenge for us as he grows older?

We have dealt with routine puppy behavior, the mounting of my youngest daughter (he even mounted my leg), growling over food or a favorite toy. We were quick to correct him. He doesn't chew the baseboards or the gate that he used to chew. He really does not pose any problems at this time.

Did my family get lucky? Or are our training challenges (problems) looming on the horizon?

Dear Just Curious in Chicago: Let me preface by saying that I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with Chesapeake Bay retrievers. They are not as popular and common a breed as the Golden and Labrador retrievers. Over the years I've had only about 15 Chessies come through my group and private training classes. I handled a few during my four years working in a veterinary hospital. I also knew a few Chessies that were owned by an acquaintance when I lived out on Nantucket Island.

Based on my experience, I would describe the breed as very intelligent and both physically and mentally tough. Typically, they are far less gregarious than the Labrador and Golden retrievers. They strike me as being very loyal to their owners, with a pretty strong protective instinct. Some of the adult Chessies that I've met could be described as aloof.

It does not surprise me that your Chester is laid back. Chessies are typically calmer dogs than the other retriever breeds. However, they have far more stamina and endurance. I can easily picture a Chesapeake Bay retriever sitting content in a duck blind with a hunter and then being unfazed by icy cold water as he fetched waterfowl throughout the day.

If the typical family came to me and asked which retriever breed I recommended as a family pet, the Chesapeake Bay retriever would be last. That being said, I never underestimate the ability of individuals to successfully accomplish anything. It sounds like you have a well-bred puppy and that you are doing all the right things to turn him into a great dog.

Will Chester become more of a challenge as he grows older? All puppies do. Training a dog is a two-year process. Chester will be an adult when he is 2 years old. It takes about 800 consistent repetitions before a behavior becomes a solid habit. Continue the obedience training until Chester is an adult and you will, in all likelihood, not have any serious behavioral problems. Continue to learn more about Chessies so that you can anticipate any breed idiosyncrasies.

Although I do believe that some breeds of dogs are easier to train and live with than others, I also believe that what matters most is good handling and training. The old saying is true, "Every handler ends up with the dog that they deserve." Work hard.

John Ross writes the Dog Talk column for the Tribune-Review. He has been training dogs professionally for 30 years, and his newest book, "Adoptable Dog," is in bookstores now. He is the author of "Puppy Preschool" and "Dog Talk," both published by St. Martin's Press. For more information about Ross and his books, visit his Web site, www.the-real-dog-talk.com. Mail questions to John Ross at P.O. Box 1133, Palm City, FL 34990, or e-mail him at dogtalk1@bellsouth.net.

It all depends on what your inteded finished product is. If you are looking for a plain, deliver to your feet type of retriever, just about any breeding will do given good training.

If your end result hopes are for a Field Champion, breeding is probably the most important thing.

I can be coached to play football in high school, but only superior genetics can play pro football.

It all depends on the level of the finished product.

His description of the CBR is exactly right.

dogs are just like people, they can overcome bad breeding OR bad training but NOT BOTH...

Well stated CBD and Moats.

Stereo types exist for a reason...and it takes years and years to change one.

Kind of like "chocolate labs". Sure there are lots and lots of good chocolates but there is a great reason they have their reputatation as underperforming blacks and yellows.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I can train a dog, but I haven't seen one yet that I thought was pretty enough or sexy enough to breed!

Now LabLuvr on the other hand has probably bred a many a dog.

He's also probably bred his other hand! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."