Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gator Problems

tradorion Coots

I grasp that concept very well- and love my dog as much as any man.... Given the situation of my dog's life vs. the gator- ole lizard is gonna die or at least go away very very unhappy and MINUS a meal... then after the fact i will have to see where my actions lead--- but you can bet i'd be askin for a jury trial should i end up in court. and i'd be willing to take the lumps for my actions if there were any to be taken.

you can only be so proactive based on biology, state and federal law... it took a long time to get gators off the endangered/threatened species list and then awhile longer to get a more liberalized permit system... it will take awhile longer to insitute any sort of open season (assuming that one will be created).

The biology of the issue would never allow for the removal of all gators that COULD be a threat to a dog and gators move around anyway so anytime in gator territory with proper temperatures a gator encounter is going to be possible... it is the handlers job to be alert at all times and show judgement on just when and where to cut a dog loose.

There would be a HUGE difference in my mind on how to pursue a case against two people each having killed an alligator in defense of their dog ONE of which was in a low-gator number/unlikely encounter area and THE OTHER who intentionally cut loose his beloved hunting companion in a high risk time/place.

i was fishing near the wateree dam and saw a dead 10 footer. now that is just too far inland for a gator.