Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guitar players

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    She and I share several things, then...
    well played!

No love for a strat on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I affectionately refer to this rig as "The Neighbor-Hater."

I am practically back to being a teenager again having to wait until my wife is out of the house to get loud. I am more of the 50-watt tube combo variety, but enough to earn my tinnitus. MG
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 10-16-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

I had a fender telecaster 70’s deluxe in sun burst that I sold. Number 1 regret to this day that I sold that. Had it paired with a fender tube amp and that thing sounded so sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I affectionately refer to this rig as "The Neighbor-Hater."

I am practically back to being a teenager again having to wait until my wife is out of the house to get loud. I am more of the 50-watt tube combo variety, but enough to earn my tinnitus. MG
    That PLexi looking amp, has KT88's in. You talk about a loud MFer'

It is sitting on that half stack but I usually run it on the other full stack. I'm scared the speakers will not take the extra load. All of those cabs in those pics have G1230W Greenbacks with pulsonic cones. Some may be Rola some Pre but all pulsonic cones. I chased tone and chased it. The first set of those I got and plugged into was like heaven. Those are the sound of 70's rock. Then I started buying them. Most come from over seas. There was a half stack in Aynor the other day for sale, guy was super snooty I offered a fair value in cash and he turned me down. I literally have cabs running out of my ears now. They are big and bulky. If I needed them I would have gotten them, 15 cabs later I don't NEED anymore.

They are both Jimmy Page cloned amps. I have a second Plexiglas style at the lake house

The HiWatt clone is nothing like a HiWatt. Interesting story.

Page had 2 50w and 2 100 watt built by Hiwatt but to his specs.

The obliged. Someone stole one of the 100W heads and Page parked them went with Marshal and had the Lead essentially turned into a Major. There is far more to it but that is simplified.
    He used the Marshal until the end of Zep.

Fastfoward to 2007 A kid walks into a repair shop with a 100w Hiwatt, but the tech realizes this is no ordinary Hiwatt. Tech calls his buddy who is a gear geek and tech who had seen the other 100w head to put new tubes in it. Sure enough this is the stolen amp. Tech takes pics and diagrams the amp out sends it to my buddy who now makes them.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    No love for a strat on here?
    I have 1 at the lake but I rarely if ever play it, my daughter likes to pick at it. They just don't have the sound I want nor do they feel right in my hands.

I have another Les Paul down there I play....well try to play. Both the LP's have NOS PAF's ever part in them is NOS but were not put together until 2018, on the old machines Gibson used back in the burst era.

Interesting fun fact about the Hiwatt clone I have, the last sounds recorded before ditching the Hiwatts was Rock n Roll. While Page was famous for recording with small amps he couldn't get the tone he needed so they set up the live rig and recorded it. You can really hear it when you play it. That amp has more of a growl with rough edges than the Plexi does Think Royal Albert Hall tone. But the Plexi with that tape delay will give you Over The Hills & Far Away Earls court tone.

And a strat never looked this cool:

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Fender custom shop tele - Jim Root
    Gibson J45
    80's Alvarez
    Bonomassa spec'd gold top LP

Marshall DSL40
    Roland JC
    Double Secret Probation Officer

89 Eric Clapton Signature Strat (first year and first ever signature series from Fender)
    87 Kramer Beretta (original owner)
    John 5 Tele
    a few acoustics, including a new acquisition of 1965 Gibson B-25

I have another American Kramer from 87 for sale on Reverb for the past four months and cannot get any offers. I really would have thought with the passing of EVH somebody would have jumped on it. If anyone is interested https://reverb.com/item/34657957-kra...a-serial-plate

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 1.43.54 PM.png
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Yup!

You can see them in many of Page's photos. His book with all he is gear is coming out soon, and I'm sure these will be highly desirable, so I bought 2 of them before the price goes up.

For my puny playing skills the snark is just fine.

They do achieve a higher level of "in tune" if I was setting guitars up all day or played professionally it would make sense to use them, but you do have to set it up every time they are turned on.

So for me a simple snark works fine.

I compared them using a tone generator and the Strobo would get it every time, the Snark would be slightly off depending on which note.
    Those are tube units aren't they? I seem to remember him having a solid state unit. I had a friend who had one, they could be finicky. So you bought a Fulltone SS, why didn't you find an EP-3?
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

They are tubes and Pages was tube. You can see his in the new anthology book coming out in 2 days, but it has been released already. You can see the tube in the back, just like the ones I bought.

I got the Fulltone, when the whole hoopla happened about Jim said the truth and the industry went after him. I wanted to send him some love. Plus you can get new tapes once you have a Fulltone unit, which work on the EP. It also helped that those are 1500$ units and the idiot who I bout it from didn't want to own any more Fulltone gear, but he didn't want to give it away so I gave him 900$ for a brand new never used unit!

I went with the solid state, and plan to buy a EP tube, and buy new tapes for it via Jim.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 10-18-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I picked up a new little Marshall Combo amp this weekend. It is the Origin 20c. It is all tube with five tubes total and the best part it has a switch to use .5, 3, or 20 watts. So it is like a little power soak. Play awhile last night, I think it will be fun. MG

jbzehoy6nutxxnx0liwu.jpg
    Dum Spiro Spero

Sweet!

I have a DSL 40, we stripped most of the board stuff out and put more PLexi like controls in it. Swapped the tubes and transformer around. I thought it was gonna be awesome.

Well, its not. Its my least favorite amp now. Essentially I was trying to go for a Origin before there was s such a creature.

I like my little orange micro terror better.

I've contemplated the origin's to replace the DSL.

Keep us posted how you like it.

Do you know which speaker came in it?
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 10-22-2020 at 04:50 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot