Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Unintended consequences

My spot in Greenwood is eat up the dang things. You can take a hat and a push button call and limit out in a week lol.

Hot damn, when we going??
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Default Unintended consequences

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Cool by me, if you want to waste your time. Remember it's only two hundred acres or so. I reluctantly killed two here last year. Now I'm thinking that may not have been too smart. I know the last day there were four still alive and gobbling. Where those fuckers are now is anyone's guess. No habitat changes, no feeders, fuck if I know.

So let me get this straight, you have 200 acres you believe should sustain enough for you to hunt and since it is void of turkeys all of the upstate pop is null and void.

Love your logic
    Last edited by ccleroy; 03-28-2016 at 06:42 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Is that really the implication of what I said? Good Lord son, your reading comprehension done went to hell and back. I don't just hunt those two hundred acres, I hunt an ass of WMA land. And....I never said null and void, I said reduced population, huge difference there buckwheat.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 03-28-2016 at 06:51 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Is that really the implication of what I said? Good Lord son, your reading comprehension done went to hell and back. I don't just hunt those two hundred acres, I hunt an ass of WMA land. And....I never said null and void, I said reduced population, huge difference there buckwheat.
    Did you kill any last year lab?

Yep, one was a double beard.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Awesome. I just don't remember seeing any glamour shots but that might be because I'm not in TFC

I don't have a huge ego I see no need to post every bird. I'll send you some autographed pics though if you like. Or you can get some from KRt he seems to like them
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 03-28-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by uscnoklahoma View Post
    My spot in Greenwood is eat up the dang things. You can take a hat and a push button call and limit out in a week lol.
    PM me said location so that I can verify these findings....
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Even those little changes could make a difference. The pines next door, now that they are a little larger, what has happened to the understory? Is it beginning to be shaded out therefore doing away with much needed food and nesting habitat? Maybe the pines have grown enough to shade out half of what used to be there 3 years ago. This could cause the carrying capacity of your property to decline.

The wooded areas that are now overgrown, this could provide some good nesting, but how did the turkeys use this area the previous years? Was it a favorite strutting area that has now turned into a hiding place for predators?

The fields that had cows, maybe from a distance it doesn't look much different, but is that field now a thick layer of fescue that is difficult for poults to walk through?

I could be way off on what has caused your property to change, but when you take a step back and view what has changed on your property, as well as your neighbors, it can be easy to see why turkeys are no longer regularly using your property, or not using it as much as previous years.
    I think you've pretty much nailed it. I was thinking the pines had grown too thick up top for the birds to fly through them, and that may be an issue, but, yes, the understory in there is really just pine needles. In the adjacent woods, it's not that it's gotten that much thicker, and there really aren't as many predators ('yotes) as there used to be, but I'd say there is less food and nesting habitat in those sections.

As for the field(s)... now that we don't have cows every year, yes, it is much harder to walk through the fields even if they're bush hogged once or twice a year. Supposedly the cattle are returning, but I haven't seen them yet so who knows what's going to happen. I hope they do come back, even if I have to be more careful where I walk.

My property, for the most part, isn't any thicker on the ground (except where I haven't had time to bush hog in the back), but the tree tops have grown out and I'm sure the food sources have changed. Some up-coming thinning might help, but not unless I can get the neighbor(s) to consider it also.

The one field that I know has been holding some birds, which I have no access to due to the number of family members hunting it, was planted in soy beans last year, and I think the year before also. So, yes, that grass is relatively light cover compared to the sections closer to me.

Good analysis. I hadn't really thought about the details of the slow changes since I don't really get to hunt turkeys that often, even though they used to be right next door.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Quite possible G. TFC killed them all last year. We should just close the season, or at least lower the limit to 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Awesome. I just don't remember seeing any glamour shots but that might be because I'm not in TFC
    Is your pp get stiff every time you type TFC?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Apparently yours does.

Somehow opening the season 5 days later than the historical opening in 13 or so counties is causing "unintended consequences" of people hunting birds that are grouped together causing doubles.....is that the gist of this rant?

Holy hell, you ignorant fucks are full of yourselves. How about this, fuck off. You fools are what's wrong with turkey hunting. Hell, all hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lulz...

Might need to raise that drinking age...... Want another shot at that post?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Angler View Post
    Apparently yours does.

Somehow opening the season 5 days later than the historical opening in 13 or so counties is causing "unintended consequences" of people hunting birds that are grouped together causing doubles.....is that the gist of this rant?

Holy hell, you ignorant fucks are full of yourselves. How about this, fuck off. You fools are what's wrong with turkey hunting. Hell, all hunting.

We got us a NC road hunter. time to ban him.
    Last edited by BRR; 03-29-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Typo

Carolina angler made me laugh.

So did Boozers post, I hope he's not using meth.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Carolina angler made me laugh.
    He's got to be an alias though.

He has Brittanys and is from Charlotte, no one could be that gay..
    Last edited by PBiz; 03-29-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Angler View Post
    Apparently yours does.

And the gist of the rant are those properties opening 10 days early..

yeah and the killing of gobblers before they can breed.

does anyone have the DNR article showing the SC breeding dates? maybe there isn't one, and I saw it for another state.