Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unintended consequences

Default Unintended consequences

Changing the turkey season, from my limited view, has led to more people hunting grouped up birds, and more multiple kills.

Just yesterday, I know of 4 doubles that occurred. I have heard of way more doubles/triples this week than I can ever remember.

I wonder if the proponents of this law thought about that.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

triples are illegal two birds per day

They have taken a whooping this year, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    triples are illegal two birds per day

More than one hunter
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

I agree

I brought this up in one of the meetings. They acted like they didn't care and wouldn't budge.

dont trust anything anyone from the SCDNR says. Bunch a damn liars.
    Windows Down!

Either they were wrong about the "hatch" or all of these jakes were born through live birth. I'm covered in em

With as many jakes as I've seen there is the potential to kill quadruples next year!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

we are overrun with jakes, I think the DNR really doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. 2yr old birds are more than plentiful as well. the last one I killed, there were 7 longbeards running together, if I'd had another tag or a partner, it would have been a massacre for sure. at least 2 more would have died
    rip Dakota

Just don't ask Labhunoer he'd tell a different story

Yep, was a shitty call... There are a pile of gobblers and jakes.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

It was a political move pushed by the NWTF. They are doing the same thing in Alabama right now.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    With as many jakes as I've seen there is the potential to kill quadruples next year!
    This is the truth

I hadn't talked to many in the upstate yet, but there has been some doubles this past week in the low country. My son killed 2 this morning and if I would have had a gun, I would of killed the other one.

lots of doubles being killed up here
    rip Dakota

It would only be different in the update the season would have been the same in the lower part of the state so those have to be taken out. I see your point but the limit is lower as well.

Yep "should've killed" two this morning. They are 2 of 4 who lost their other two buddy's on youth day to one shot, when they all 4 came in. Yote ruined it for me, but I see them having the potential to die together this week for sure and would honestly agree with your synopsis. Although if it's just me I only intend on shoting the bigger fella.
    On another property I've watched two birds hanging together the past two weeks that I know will come in together when hunted anytime soon.

I've always had land to hunt starting March 15th. I consider that being very fortunate and never abused the privilege. With that being said, on most years I never shoot a bird until late March or early April. No one pressed me to do so but rather I just hated to kill a gobbler that had 20 hens with him. On most years, including this year, the groups of hens were bred between the 10th and 25th. I have lots of hens nesting now and the big bunches two weeks ago are down to just a few hens. Now I'll pick and choose 3 long beards to die while the hens are nesting. That's just my personal observation. Not trying to upset anyone who has different opinions.
    U serious Clark?

We have had a lot of jakes too.
    Several good hunts. Most of the mature birds have been singles.
    Last edited by DJP; 03-26-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    I brought this up in one of the meetings. They acted like they didn't care and wouldn't budge.

dont trust anything anyone from the SCDNR says. Bunch a damn liars.
    I'm not saying you didn't bring it up, or that they didn't listen, but I am saying that SCDNR is slam damn full of honest men. Maybe a few rotten apples like any other agency but they do a hell of a job for the most part.

Lets not forget that a bunch of legislators helped make this happen. You could always talk to one of them. Heck, I bet you could voice your opinion to a legislator at the family dinner table. Just a bet...
    Last edited by TheTater; 03-26-2016 at 05:02 PM.