Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakaway and Jack Plate

Default Breakaway and Jack Plate

Does anyone on here make these or know where I could get them? Not looking for the CMC brand. I see some boats on here with these homemade ones it looks like just don't know who fabricates them. Any help would be appreciated.

Look at Vance Jack plates

Yea I looked at them too. I just didnt know if 9" of set back would be to far back.

JPL4300 from www.vancemfg.com is what you need. Bolt that to the boat first, next put the CMC break away, then the motor. Make sure you use good bolts to put it all together. I used 1/2 inch stainless.
    Last edited by E. Taylor; 03-18-2016 at 04:52 PM.
    E T

I had a.cmc break away and a 3inch Vance Jack plate on mine. It depends on your set up.

What size motor you running. I made some with 2by2 alum angle and they adjust in 1in increments to get height and ride..

Quote Originally Posted by QuackAddict2013 View Post
    Yea I looked at them too. I just didnt know if 9" of set back would be to far back.
    Like TimSmith said, what motor you running and on what hull?

Me and ETaylor had the Vance+CMC on 1651 Xpress hulls. I have a Yamaha, he ran a Tohatsu. Just depends on your setup.

I can't remember who, but I think I recall seeing a manual jack plate that has a break away mechanism built in. Bob's Machine Shop maybe...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    JPL4300 from www.vancemfg.com is what you need. Bolt that to the boat first, next put the CMC break away, then the motor. Make sure you use good bolts to put it all together. I used 1/2 inch stainless.
    Did you ever run the boat just bolted to the transom? Just curious as to how it helped.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Did you ever run the boat just bolted to the transom? Just curious as to how it helped.
    Yes, that is how I bought it. The xpress has such a steep transom angle, it caused the cav plate to set way below the bottom edge of the boat. It ran, but not good. The foot almost seemed tucked under the boat. Constantly fighting the trim to get it right.

Willy was the first one to come up with the setup we are using. After a number of conversations, I put the cmc and jackplate on my xpress. My cav plate is now about 2 inches higher than the bottom of the boat. Runs great. Plus it's easy to get around in shallow water. We put the same setup on my son's Havoc and 50 Tohatsu along with a 4 blade cleaver prop, and that boat flies now.

It's not necessary on every boat. It sure helped with boat speed and ride, shallow water drive, and it gets the foot higher up so there is less chance of hitting stumps and.logs. I would put it on any jon boat that I planned to run rivers, Santee swamp, or you looking for better performance.

I am sure Willy can add some more info as to how his boat ran, the problems he encountered, and why he went with this setup.
    Last edited by E. Taylor; 03-19-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    E T

I got the idea from B.Miller who saw it on a boat forum with a buncha Arkansas boys, I think.

My problem was when I bought this Xpress a few years ago I wanted to raise the motor on the transom. It came with the kick up plate on it, but the motor was high as it could go. I guessed I needed it about 2" higher to get the desired result. There was no way to do that without getting pretty creative with a few modifications. The easiest solution was to stack the manual jack plate with the cmc. The setback didn't cause any problems. Where I sit on the rear pod I can reach the tiller handle with no problem, and I'm 5'7".
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-19-2016 at 11:32 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Boat will be a 2016 Xpress HD16DBX with a 2014 50hp Tohatsu. More than likely I will set it up like E. Taylor has his boat set up. I feel like I will get the best performance that way.

You'll have issues with the transom and the trim. I had wedges welded in my kick up plate to put the motor at a more vertical mounting angle. Looks like this.

Last edited by willyworm; 03-21-2016 at 08:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What if you were to move the trim pin lock up some? Who did you have weld those on? Did they do it with the motor on there? Also how high is your cave plate in reference to the bottom of your boat

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Position of the trim pin didn't matter. With the motor trimmed up to where it was about the right level for on plane running, it was barely touching the pistons on the trim unit. The only solution was to change the angle the motor was mounted to.

The previous owner changed the angle by using some cut 2x4's on the kick up plate. Decided I'd go with something a little more permanent. I measured the angles, cut the wedges and had a friend at my old job weld them in since I didn't know how to weld aluminum. As you can see my measurements were a little off as the two surfaces didn't mate together perfectly.

Whether the motor was on when the welding took place was irrelevant. The angles are the same with or without the motor.

Currently I think my cav plate is not quite 2" above the transom. But that'll change when I replace the Vance manual plate with a Atlas Micro Jacker. Then it'll be wherever I want it to be that day.
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-21-2016 at 11:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok that's what I was thinking. Maybe when I get the boat and get everything set up on it I could bring it by and we could possibly play with the different angles if you didn't mind

I don't mind at all. Heck you can take measurements on the wedges and go from there if you'd like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yea that would be true too! You think they would be the same? I think if it's the same setup it should

I don't think cmc changed their design so the dimensions should be the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok yea that's what I was thinking. You got that set up on a xpress?

Yup, 1651 just like yours, just different interior layout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]