Thread: Advice on pup

HELP! I need some advice on the purchase of a new pup. I have a hunting buddy whose brother trains labs. I asked him last week to find me a choc male pup. He called me today and has located a 6 month old that has some basic training and is already working on land and in the water. The owner is asking $750. That's kool, money is not my concern. I was a little shocked that he approached me with a 6 month old. I thought I needed those early 8 weeks forward to bond with the pup. My intention with the new puppy is to carry it with me during the day so we really create a bond. Aren't there some issues with a pup that's already 6 months old? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Should be no issues at all. If the dog is retrieving from land and water with enthusiasm and is not gunshy, hop on it.
    Marc

The pups personality is developed in the first 7-12 weeks of his existance. You need to look at the pup when it comes to you. Does he like to make eye contact? Does he like to hang out with you when you are around him? If he picks up dummies or birds and runs off with them and could care less if you are there is not what you are looking for. Attitude is what you can work with. The pup is priced cheap so give him a good look.

Why in the world would anyone want a dumbass chocolate lab? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Let me digress here for a moment. Anytime I hear words like "I have a hunting buddy whose brother trains labs" my mind conjurs images of a dirt backyard full of neglected dogs on chains...or worse.

Unless you have spent lots of time messin with dogs, talking and training with good dog trainers and reading good training books from good dog trainers you might be better served to forget everything you have been told about dogs and dog training.

There are good trainers and bad trainers out there and the way you differentiate between the two is to look them up on the net and look at how many dogs pass for them under their respective organization like AKC, UKC, etc, etc, whatever. If they're not producing winners then they're probably just beating dumb dogs.

You hear this shit like "Yeah, some folks flew in from Michigan last week to get a dog from this or that trainer." So what? What does that mean? Maybe it means he produces...maybe. Maybe it means that the people from Michigan are idiots. If the guy does not produce winners or specializes in breeding hunting or trial/test labradors with good hips and eyes then you don't want anything to do with him.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, and at times, on here. You can literally fill the New York City Public Library with the dumb shit I've heard over the years.

Sorry about the rant. Anyway, to answer your question, if this pup has been properly socialized and "started" by a good trainer that either produces winners, or a good amateur trainer that has paid his dues at the training alter then jump on him. Taking into consideration that this dog was raised by another, if you provide for him, continue his training and establish yourself as the alpha, there will be no bonding issues. Give it about a month and he will bond to you...or at least follow you to the truck. Sometimes thats half the battle.

Otherwise, change the question to something like "Where can I go and get a good yellow lab pup?" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I picked up a 8 month old black bitch today. She has been started on land and water and to holds her own well.

She already seems to understand her role around here and has stayed out of the way of my 10 year old black bitch.

Good lines, plenty of drive, listens well, and already is attached to the family, especially my 2 year old. He needed a puppy with pep around here.

I hope it works out. My old dog had been retired for several years. It has been tough hunting for 3 or so years without her.

I like the idea of the older puppy. I really couldnt see raising an 8 week old puppy and an 8 week old new baby boy...and a 2 year old. Thats alot of bidness to be taking care of.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I will be working this one on my own like I have done in the past.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Great news Cutone!!! Get the foundation set with good discipline first. And, make all training fun for you and your pup!! That beez all I have for now!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Originally posted by Cut Em All:

She already seems to understand her role around here and has stayed out of the way of my 10 year old black bitch.

I hope it works out.
    in the three total hours she has been at your house? she has it figured out already?

i hope it works out, too...but if your dogs bark or get loose like Jimmys, they will be shot (at). but its OK, i will miss.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

i HEAR YA CUT-EM! YOU NEED SOMETHING TO TAKE UP ALL THAT FREE TIME.....HEHEHEHE

you shoot at my dogs, I will shoot you. you know I wont miss.

thanks for the fair warning, boss man.

you prolly wouldnt miss, they would just run 40-50 yards like everything else you shoot.

A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

I would not worry about the “bonding” thing. Once you start hunting, training, and living with the pup you will develop a relationship just fine.

I would evaluate how well trained he is at 6 months, how is attitude is, and what his character is. Is he a happy dog or spiritless? While you can improve on a down dog it is simply not baggage I want to have to address. If he will go out 60-70 yards, put on a reasonable “hunt” for a bumper/bird, and retrieve close to at hand I would consider him. Is he house broken?

One thing I have learned is there are very few “bargains” in the dog world. Every once in a while you come across one but it is not the norm. If someone is a decent trainer or repeatedly produces good dogs then they don’t struggle selling a pup…so if you are getting a bargain, at least question “why?”.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

i don't think 6 or 8 months is too old. it just depends on what you want. somthing i have learned working with my dogs is that you shouldn't use 2 words, always or never. i agree with what has been previously mentioned about general progression with retrieving. candor has a good point, is the dog house broken? if it's going to be an inside dog, you'll play hell house breaking an older pup (6 or 8 monts or < ). that would probably be my biggest concern. a retriever has a natural desire to hunt, you want that. he also has a natural desire to use the bathroom, if he doesn't know he can't go when and where he wants by now you may have some problems.