Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the bow, not what?

Default Got the bow, not what?

Im wanting to get more involved in bow hunting. This past year made me want to get off the regular path at our club. We have a lot of acreage away from our food plots and feeders that we don't hunt.

We have some good deer that travel in-between these areas and I want to see more of it. Also I have an opportunity to go out of state this year and will take the bow with me.

End of last year I picked up a new bow. Im familiar with bows as I had one a couple years ago. An uncle passed one down to me and it had simple stuff on it. Picked up a wrist release from the local store and had the archery shop do an overhaul and began shooting.

But with this bow, I want it set up it right. I have done a lot of reading here and on archery talk and have it down to picking out a sight and release.

--Sight i "want" to be a 3 pin. I think for for beginning a 5 pin will be too crowded and i don't plan on shooting longer distances. Im not again a single though, would be willing to try it. Ive looked at the trophy ridge react and also the CBE line up in .19. I was narrowing it down the the CBE sniper, for not needing all the extra stuff the TEK-Hybrid had. But give me things I need to look for as a new bowhunter in a sight and also brands y'all use. Like i said, I won't be shooting 3d or long ranges. Just looking for a good sight to start with.

--Releases I'm looking at wanting to try a thumb. Most of what I've read, people seem to be more accurate when shooting a thumb. The downside was the transition from shooting a wrist release. I figure since I really don't have a habit, i should be able to transition very easily and learn the proper way. What are some good thumb releases to start to look at and some features of them that i want in one?

I will be going to the local archery shop and looking at different set-ups, but want to have some knowledge going in. Thanks for the help in advance fellas.

TJ

Go on archery talk.com...... Those guys are a wealth of knowledge and you can grab shit cheap in the classifieds section.

I went to a thumb release then back to a wrist as I was more accurate with wrist.

The guys on here will say: only shoot an elite / only shoot a slick trick / only shoot an hha single pin / and bow techs will blow up in your face.

The elite part is spot on

I'm going to suggest pods. They work wonders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A 3 pin is perfect for the whitetail woods. 30 seconds can make or break a season so I ain't got time for adjusting a single pin.

What kind of bow did you get?

All the fancy crap doesn't make a deer die differently. Passing a sharp broadhead through both lungs is the objective.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    A 3 pin is perfect for the whitetail woods. 30 seconds can make or break a season so I ain't got time for adjusting a single pin.

What kind of bow did you get?

All the fancy crap doesn't make a deer die differently. Passing a sharp broadhead through both lungs is the objective.

Picked up an Elite Energy 32 off of the trading post.

sight: I am a huge advocate of the single pin sights. Current bows are capable of shooting the single pin to the edge of where most guys bow hunt in the woods. HHA is good, and I recommend most guys start with that due to ease of use. Axcel accutouch is what is riding on my bow. I like the click feature it offers.

Release: stanslowski just X 4 finger. There isn't even a close second. And I have owned almost every thumb trigger made.

Rest: limb driver pro V. Eliminates vane clearance issues (limbs move before cables). Everyone can save the QAD praises. I have owned them and they are good, but not in the same class as the limb driven stuff (pro V, hamskea)

Arrows: black eagle rampage with the steel outsert. Be sure to use gorilla glue to insert. Victory RIP are also in the top of the heap.

Broadhead: ramcat. Exodus is a close 2nd

Bows: shoot em all and make a choice. I like a longer ATA bow (34-36") because of the string angle. After shooting all the 2016's I walked out with a PSE decree HD ti. Elite impulse 34, Hoyt defiant 34, and PSE decree HD were my top 3, if that matters.
    Last edited by wiz18; 03-08-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    Picked up an Elite Energy 32 off of the trading post.
    Solid. Rock on.

Imagine a buck walking through different shooting Windows that range from 15-40 yards, imagine working a grunt call while a buck is moving just out of range, imagine moving your safety harness as you turn to shoot one inside one of those windows....that 3 pin is nice in the deer woods.

I'm not trying to derail your thread but I have had several encounters with Pope and young class deer in the last 6-7 years and adding adjusting a sight to that equation isn't on my to do list.

Whatever you do just make sure you take high percentage shots. You will sleep better at night because of it.

I've been shooting a Hot Shot release for the last 5-6years and it has been perfect.

I'm a big fan of very thin multiple pins. I don't like having to guess elevation on the fly. Judging distance is enough of a challenge in uneven terrain.

Whatever you do shoot the heaviest arrow setup you can get away with. I've been shooting slick tricks and they have never let me down, just not a giant blood trail. Clean pass thrus on every animal I have shot with them. 1 B&C bear and 2 P&y whitetails plus 5-6 others

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    sight: I am a huge advocate of the single pin sights. Current bows are capable of shooting the single pin to the edge of where most guys bow hunt in the woods. HHA is good, and I recommend most guys start with that due to ease of use. Axcel accutouch is what is riding on my bow. I like the click feature it offers.

Release: stanslowski just X 4 finger. There isn't even a close second. And I have owned almost every thumb trigger made.

Rest: limb driver pro V. Eliminates vane clearance issues (limbs move before cables). Everyone can save the QAD praises. I have owned them and they are good, but not in the same class as the limb driven stuff (pro V, hamskea)

Arrows: black eagle rampage with the steel outsert. Be sure to use gorilla glue to insert. Victory RIP are also in the top of the heap.

Broadhead: ramcat. Exodus is a close 2nd

Bows: shoot em all and make a choice. I like a longer ATA bow (34-36") because of the string angle. After shooting all the 2016's I walked out with a PSE decree HD ti. Elite impulse 34, Hoyt defiant 34, and PSE decree HD were my top 3, if that matters.
    Ill take a look at the Stanslowski. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Solid. Rock on.

Imagine a buck walking through different shooting Windows that range from 15-40 yards, imagine working a grunt call while a buck is moving just out of range, imagine moving your safety harness as you turn to shoot one inside one of those windows....that 3 pin is nice in the deer woods.

I'm not trying to derail your thread but I have had several encounters with Pope and young class deer in the last 6-7 years and adding adjusting a sight to that equation isn't on my to do list.

Whatever you do just make sure you take high percentage shots. You will sleep better at night because of it.

Exactly why i was leaning towards a 3 pin. No-derailing, try to learn from those that have done it. Thanks for the advice.

I second small 3 pin sight.

I like a the Scott mongoose for hunting releases.

Once you get your bow ready, you'll need to get a flambeau treecoy and the grunt tube where you spool out a tube from your mouth to the ground.

The treecoy is a tree decoy, so the deer will think it's a real tree. Think about how badass that is.

We used to try and catch Wild Turkey's with our BARE hands back along time ago. Put leaves over the top of us and wait till they walked over. True Story. Had one by the leg and that was not a good idea as the fuker cut the shit out of my arm. I got the scare
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    I'm going to suggest pods. They work wonders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    X2
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Just as with all other hunting equipment, most of this stuff is going to be personal preference. With that said, here are my choices...

Arrows - I've shot a lot of different brands and IMO it's hard to beat the Beman ICS Hunters for accuracy and durability vs price. I just keep going back to them. BlackEagle also makes good arrows for the money. I like their Carnivore line. For hogs, I just go to Wal-Mart at the end of the year and buy a bunch of those CarbonExpress Terminator arrows when they are $2.00 or less a piece. I can't see using expensive arrows for hogs when over 50% of the time the hog is going to break the arrow.

Broadheads - SlickTrick for deer. RazorTrick for hogs, but I'm going to have to try something else now.

Sights - I like a single pin. As mentioned above, today's bows are so flat shooting that I just don't see a need for multiple pins where I hunt. The HHA Optimizer is awesome if you want to spend that kinda money.

Release - I'm kinda behind the times on these b/c I've been using my Carter Quickie for years.

Quiver - Personally, I just can't bring myself to pay $150 for a quiver like some of these guys are doing, so IMO any quality quiver will work. I take mine off once I get into the tree anyway.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 03-09-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Sights - if you have good eyes, get one with .019 top pin and .010 for #2 and #3. A .019 at 30 or 40 yards will cover the deer's whole shoulder and you want to pick out a hair to shoot

Release - if you're still experimenting, Tru-Fire Four-finger Edge is a good entry level thumb release. Nothing wrong with wrist/trigger releases, but adjust it to where the trigger is in or behind the crease in your first knuckle. Finger tip shot leads to inaccuracies.

Arrows - after shooting gold tip hunters forever, switched to Easton Axis micro-diameter. They are heavier for increase KE, thinner for increased penetration and decreased wind resistance. Heavier arrow = quieter bow.

Broadhead - anything. Indians used stones. If you have a good chance of hogs, go with a fixed blade (SlickTricks or Montec CS)

Practice, practice, practice. I rarely pick up the rifle since bow hunting. Hoping to get my first turkey with the bow this spring.
    Genesis 27:3

Appreciate the help guys. I found some time tomorrow to head to the shop and see what I can accomplish. Couple of the things y'all suggest are the same things I've read over on AT.

Thanks

Imagine being on the powerline or the 5yr road and here comes mr.150" and he's at 65yds. He stops underneath your feeder, knocks the protein head off it for a quick nibble, and hops back on the trail of the group of does you've watched him chase all morning at 125yds grunting and slobbering all over himself. You watch him sail out of sight towards pops and within seconds you hear "craaaaaack.......BOOOOOOOM". Pops will love that you got a new little robin hood toy and we will celebrate at the shed

In all seriousness, I'm excited for ya! Getting off the beaten path at the plantation is downright scary. I've watched palmettobug schwack a many the last decade and he giggles like a little kid each time. The urge just hasn't hit me yet. I'll hangout in my old box!

My advice is tuck your weiner between your legs and dance in front of the mirror...

Real disappointed with you..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    My advice is tuck your weiner between your legs and dance in front of the mirror...

Real disappointed with you..
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Now what......

Well most folks start shooting and practice practice practice

I'd start there