Thread: Air Compressor

Default Air Compressor

My compressor shit the bed last weekend (Craftsman) and I need a new one.

I am looking for something a little larger than what I had, but not stupid large.

60 Gallon
    = or > 10 CFM @ 90PSI
    Vertical

Probably be in the 5HP range maybe 3hp if it can meet the CFM requirements. I do not want one of those loud ass oil less units.

I use it for my Plasma Cutter, HVLP Gun and some air tools.

I am considering a SpeedAire manufactured by Grainger as they get really, really good reviews or a comparable IR model.

Here are the ones I am looking as specifically. If anyone has a suggestion on do's/don'ts, branding, options, etc.... I am all ears. I would love to stay <$1000, but I am likely teetering closer to $1200ish based on my research.

I think the IR model linked below seems to be the best value as it offers the larger motor, tons of CFM and 60 gallon capacity at under $1K.

60 Gallon/5HP/14.2CFM/$1294
    https://www.grainger.com/product/4ME98?cm_re=AZIDPRR2

60 Gallon/5HP/18.1CFM/$979
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...JYMaAhKD8P8HAQ

60 Gallon/3HP/10.2CFM/$819.50
    https://www.grainger.com/product/4ME96?cm_re=AZIDPRR2

What do you all have?

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I bought this one awhile back. Not the tank size your are look for but its a hoss. 6.5 cfm, runs my plasma cutter fine and everything else.
    As long as your old tank is good, you could pumb it inline.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001Q2VPU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o07_s00[/ame]

Look at a Rolair.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Look at a Rolair.
    This. Best brand on the market
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Look at a Rolair.

Interesting

This one is pretty much what I am looking for………….I have never heard of them though……that really does not mean jack shit.

Do you or Visor guy have one?

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p9125.html
    Last edited by Chessbay; 02-19-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Interesting

This one is pretty much what I am looking for………….I have never heard of them though……that really does not mean jack shit.

Do you or Visor guy have one?

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p9125.html

Chess I have probly 6 or 7 of the 6.5 hp wheeled gas compressors that my roofers use and as long as you half ass maintain them they are bulletproof. I cant speak for that particular model that is in your link but I do have a friend that has a small body shop and he has one of the V7538 7.5 hp model and he has been pleased. I was more or less speaking on the brand in general because after going through 3 or 4 cheaper compressors a year and finally buying rolairs that run for 6-10 hours a day 6 days a week and last multiple years I am convinced that they make an all around good product

Chess, I will add this. I saw that you linked an IR in your original post from Northern tool. Ive heard decent stuff about those as well but Ive never owned one, however I have had a handful of the North Star brand compressors from Northern tool and they have been pretty decent as well, especially for the price. Hope I was able to help, and Im sure Charliehorse can expand as well. Good luck

Thanks, I did not mean that particular model…….more interested in experience with the brand in general.

Sounds pretty promising though.

I have an electric twin tank portable Rolair...it will not die. I do zero maintence to it, put oil it in the day I bought it and haven't had to add any since. That was 5 years ago..damn thing was in the back of my trailer when I got rear ended a couple years ago, broke all the gauges and cracked the motor cover..but she still runs. Old dude I used to work with had one that was 20 years old, he turned me on to them. The local dealer here is southern fasteners (haltiwangers) on broad river rd..and I think I saw Mann tool starting to carry them too.

I got a gas one one that my big crew has been using 6 days a week all day long for almost 3 years now and it is just as smooth and quiet as the day I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I got a gas one one that my big crew has been using 6 days a week all day long for almost 3 years now and it is just as smooth and quiet as the day I bought it.
    Ole VG has done work for me and done in a quick , reasonable fashion, if I was in the market, I would value his opinion.
    Take away 2 maybe 7 points for that USC visor, but he rules in his profession.

Thank you Claude.

I picked up a small 2.5 gal., 1 hp Rolair, http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...mpressors.html last year to use in the basement where I want things to run fairly quietly and this small compressor is the cat's ass when it has enough air to do what you want.

This is obviously way too small for heavier use, but the Rolair product line impressed me.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Check out the Atlas two-stage compressor for the same money on air compressors direct. More air volume for the same money.

I just ordered a Rolair 60 Gallon, 5HP with 16 delivered CFM @ 100PSI from Mann Tool.

I think it will be perfect for what I will use it for. I considered going to the same thing with a 2 stage compressor, but the jump in price was just not worth it to me for my application.

For what it's worth, the folks at Rolair were very nice on the phone. I ended up calling them direct and had them help me pick out the best unit for me.

They are made to order, so I won't get it for another couple of weeks.

http://www.rolair.net/air-compressor...3XB.html#specs

Thanks for the suggestion.

That's one heckuva nice air compressor, Chessbay. I'd say 'I'm jealous', but it wouldn't help any.

Good decision.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-10-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Good stuff. You'll enjoy it

TTT.

Chess, how you like that compressor??

My 30gal upright Craftsman finally locked up after 24 years of loyal service. It saw very steady use for not having to work for a professional and I have no complaints. Ol girl was just worn out.

I want a 60gal for all the reasons Chess mentioned in the original post and my shop is already plumbed for the hookup. Will likely just need to run the dedicated circuit to it for the 220.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    TTT.

Chess, how you like that compressor??

My 30gal upright Craftsman finally locked up after 24 years of loyal service. It saw very steady use for not having to work for a professional and I have no complaints. Ol girl was just worn out.

I want a 60gal for all the reasons Chess mentioned in the original post and my shop is already plumbed for the hookup. Will likely just need to run the dedicated circuit to it for the 220.
    Pretty sure you know someone that gets a discount.