Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody ever regret going to single pin?

I don't wanna hurt a rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

you won't hurt the rock when your shooting light fast arras, so no worries lol.
    Genesis 9;2

Alright picked up the new bow and have a hha optimizer coming too.

I know about using the slider to set distance when you have time on a calm animal....but in our area with a decently fast bow (elite e32 ~315fps)....can I set at 25 yards and let it roll on anything from 10-30????

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post

I know about using the slider to set distance when you have time on a calm animal....but in our area with a decently fast bow (elite e32 ~315fps)....can I set at 25 yards and let it roll on anything from 10-30????
    Pretty much. Aim a couple inches low at 15-20 yards and a couple inches high at 30. Just set it at 25 and practice all distances you are comfortable to shoot a deer and learn where you need to hold for those distances if you don't have time to adjust the pin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post

Depends on your set-up. If you're seeing real world (chronographed) speed of 315fps with a 28" draw you need to be shooting a heavier arrow. But yes, in theory you should set a distance (25y is fine) and practice that on paper to see where you hit at 15,20,30,35,40 to see how much elevation you lose. Then you can determine when you must make an adjustment.

I regretted it only because of my anal-ness in wanting to have my pin exactly where I want to hit when I loose the arrow. Instead on holding a bit high at a 27 yard shot at a good buck walking by, I fumbled and tried to get my pin on 27 and ended up missing my opportunity. If you can be comfy holding the pin high or low in certain situations where you don't have time to adjust, its no big deal. I ended up going with a Hoggfather with two green pins...top is .19 and bottom is .10 I set the top at 20 and bottom at 30 and made my tape for my 30 yard pin. So now, anything that is point blank to 32 yards requires no adjustment... I just shoot the gap at 25 yards. Anything beyond 33, and I should have time to adjust or I don't need to take the shot. Of course, I'm pretty sure that I shot my big OH buck low this year and lost him due to torrential downpour and low shot combo...because I'm about 90% sure that I used my 20 pin when he was at 29 yards. I watched the deer standing and looking at my decoy for a good three minutes and got a little pre-occupied with ranging the only two places I could sneak an arrow through IF he decided to go there...well, he did, and I was concentrating so hard on trying to hold in a tunnel/shooting lane while trying to pick the right time to release as he walked through it while sheets of rain were playing hell with my ability to see worth a flip...that I do not remember going through my conscious "bottom pin" thought process before shooting...and I hit him really low. Of course, that could happen with any pin set-up, so I still think the two pin floating pins set-up is optimal...just have to get my shit together in pressure situations. Actually, I regret ever going from a recurve to a compound 16 years ago...There are several good bucks that would likely be dead had I continued to hunt traditional that got away due to pin/equipment issues and only one that is dead because I was using a compound vs traditional where I would not have attempted a shot with a recurve.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

UPDATE

Been practicing 3-4 days a week......went though the set up process....have the hha set at 25 yrds.....at 20 yrds and under there literally is like a 2 inch max difference in impact point.....at 30 I am 3 inches low of aim (so aim 3 inches high)..... And I am dead on when dialed out to distance..hit a 41 yard bull this AM.

Like it so far

Be careful even thinking about the term "high" when shooting at a live whitetail. With the setup you've described, Id hold the pin on the armpit from 10-30 yards and never even think about aiming higher.
    \"Go to Know\"

True......

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    Be careful even thinking about the term "high" when shooting at a live whitetail. With the setup you've described, Id hold the pin on the armpit from 10-30 yards and never even think about aiming higher.
    Good advice here !!!! I shoot an HHA single pin. I leave mine on the 20 yard mark. I just hold dead on out to 30 yards. Even with today's fast bows, they can still duck an arrow.
    E T

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    Good advice here !!!! I shoot an HHA single pin. I leave mine on the 20 yard mark. I just hold dead on out to 30 yards. Even with today's fast bows, they can still duck an arrow.
    I do the same thing as Eddie but I keep mine set around 26 yards. I may be and inch or two high up close but I know I'm pretty much dead on to 30. I've never killed a whitetail outside of 30 yards.
    HRCH DL's Black Kentucky Shine SH "Colby"
    HR Devil's Dirty Little Secret "Tessa"

2015 1760dbst Havoc & 90 HP Yamaha 2 Stroke