Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flats Boats

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Turbo, you're from Blythewood, the hell do you know about flats boats? Gypsy....
    Actually, I'm from Lexington.

However, I spent my summers and every vacation I got from school at either Harkers Island or Lands End.

I've never owned a true flats boat. I've got a little skiff at Lands End that's as close to a flats boat as I've ever owned.

It's 14'6" bow to stern and has an early 90s 30hp Evinrude on the back of her. It doesn't run fast enough to get you wet most days, but it gets the job done down there.

At Harkers Island, we always ran a little island skiff with a tiller handle. With enough gas, I'd run that boat in 6" marshes and 6 miles off Cape Lookout and not bat an eye. She weren't a speed demon either, though.

I fished with Capt. Tom on that Action Craft he's got one time. Nice boat... for what she's intended.

My real point was that a flats boat is NOT a family boat. Nor has there ever been one built for "rough" water. Even the least technical of the flats style are pretty technical rides.

Also, you're from Johnston. How do you even know how to read?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Na i tried. Gave up and removed the platform

I don't blame you one bit.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by stephensj9 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. To each his own but damn.
    I have a boat for about every type of fishing you wanna do and u cant find a better shallow running boat for the keys than a panga. 26' with a 115 runs around 40 and cost less than 35k

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You can find the 16' version with a 90 in your price range. Still run mid to high 40s and take a decent chop. Would be my #1 recommendation
    Ok, thanks ill be keeping an eye out for one.

There's a lot of variation in what folks call flats boats. If you lived in Florida or Texas, you'd want one that runs in very shallow water. They only have a 1 or 2 foot tide difference there and square miles of shallow water flats. In the Lowcountry, we have a 6 foot tide swing and much smaller flats that are cut up with feeder creeks and troughs that don't require running on a plane across 6 inches of water. A bay boat hull is more practical here unless you are a real flats, sight fishing purist.

You can get the best clue of how shallow a boat will float and run by looking at the deadrise at the transom. A real shallow water boat will have very little angle and it will steer like a sheet of plywood and slide around turns. It will make you feel like a retard trying to put in on a trailer until you get some experience. It will also put your kidneys on the deck in any kind of chop. If you find one with more angle, it will ride better in chop but require more water to float. You'll also notice that the ones with more deadrise also seem to ride and sit more bow high. This will make it run through chop better but the high bow is a bitch to pole into a wind. Real skinny water poling skiffs sit fairly level.

If you plan to pole from a platform, beam width is important. You can put a platform on any boat but you'll need to skills of a tightrope walker to stay up there with a rookie fisherman in the front of the boat stepping abruptly fro side to side.

Most folks can't pole a boat. If you get one, you will find yourself poling your friends around.

A flats boat doesn't make a great family boat. Kids and pets are going to fall out occasionally. They don't usually have very comfortable seats and even with all the deck hatches, there's not a lot of storage space. Or, at least in my case, there's not a lot of storage space that's doesn't stay fully utilized.

Flats boats are special purpose boats. If you aren't going to use it mostly for sight fishing and poling around shallow water, there are better choices. Having said that, I have a 16' Backcountry that is nearly perfect for the kind of fishing I do. I mostly fish solo or occasionally with one human partner. My three dogs go every time the boat hits the water. They are quite experienced in the boat yet still find a way to fall out occasionally. I mostly fish the creeks, sounds and Charleston Jetties with it with occasional trips to the lakes or upper Cooper River. I like it because it is basic and spartan with few extra frills or gizmos to break or require maintenance. It's a great one man boat that can accommodate two fishermen if necessary. Three is crowded. If I want to take the wife out, we take the 17' CC.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Actually, I'm from Lexington.

However, I spent my summers and every vacation I got from school at either Harkers Island or Lands End.

I've never owned a true flats boat. I've got a little skiff at Lands End that's as close to a flats boat as I've ever owned.

It's 14'6" bow to stern and has an early 90s 30hp Evinrude on the back of her. It doesn't run fast enough to get you wet most days, but it gets the job done down there.

At Harkers Island, we always ran a little island skiff with a tiller handle. With enough gas, I'd run that boat in 6" marshes and 6 miles off Cape Lookout and not bat an eye. She weren't a speed demon either, though.

I fished with Capt. Tom on that Action Craft he's got one time. Nice boat... for what she's intended.

My real point was that a flats boat is NOT a family boat. Nor has there ever been one built for "rough" water. Even the least technical of the flats style are pretty technical rides.

Also, you're from Johnston. How do you even know how to read?

Calm down little fella. I was just yankin yer chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Calm down little fella. I was just yankin yer chain
    I know you were.

Gypsy.

Seriously, though. Where did you learn to read?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

1820 Action Craft with a 135 Opti. Most likely soon to upgraded to a FV200 SHO.

You can find the older ones, pre Qui-Dry hulls, in the range you are looking.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I know you were.

Gypsy.

Seriously, though. Where did you learn to read?

Saluda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

High Tide 16' Flats
    Pro's:
    It's comparatively cheap

Con's:
    Fit and finish is not as nice as the higher end boats.

Must have tabs with an F90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, I know you saltlife geeks want white in the interior, but for that kind of money they should at least put some glitter on the sides.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Dang, I know you saltlife geeks want white in the interior, but for that kind of money they should at least put some glitter on the sides.

My boss' Sportsman 214 Tournament demo is for sale at Hanckel. And yes, it has glitter in the hull. Black with silver and blue flake. Only one you will ever see
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Griffins boat rides awesome id say its one of the most versatile boats i could think of for inshore/freshwater fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

Fear not. Mine will be gone soon and replaced with plenty of glitter
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

What you waiting on?

To find out if I'm moving to Albany GA
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

And to find a bullet with a SHO or one I can repower with a 200 sho

I know where a 20 skeeter with a sho is for a good price dual console tho

You didn't want the deal of a lifetime on the bullet and sho once before.

And as far as this thread goes. Are you looking to pole the boat or you just want the casting platform up front? If you're not on the platform a lot don't get a technical skiff, it will limit you greatly in fishability.

What's the deal with the Epic brand boats? Any experience or input on them- starting to see them more regularly

“The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”