Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flats Boats

Ranger makes a good flats boat. I've enjoyed mine the time I've had it. Same hull as the old back country I believe.

I'm a fan of buying what you want but are you sure a flats boat fits your needs the best?
    A true flats boat is a fairly specific tool.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I'm a fan of buying what you want but are you sure a flats boat fits your needs the best?
    A true flats boat is a fairly specific tool.
    I agree it is fairly specific and I'm not dead set on having to have one. We fish St Joe Bay and Apalachicola once or twice a year, my dad who just passed lived in st joe so im not sure how much more ill be going down there, and my in laws live in Mobile so it would be nice to have in those cases but is it practical here (Aiken) for me? I don't know? The bay boats i've fished in here seem too big for messing around in the river and shallow waters at the lake and are a pain in the ass to catch live bait out of. I don't really want another aluminum boat so I was just thinking a flats boat may fit the bill. Like I said in the original post I have zero experience in one so im open

Woodrow, there are a few Rangers on CL now that I would love to have, that being said I really don't want to spend over 15 on something and they are all in the mid 20's. Beautiful boat by the way.

Buy a 17-18 ft carolina skiff and put a poling platform on it. If your looking for a flats boat to possibly fit 4 people and keep it under 10k, your limiting your self to some old hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I'll bet it's a smooth ride in that 2' chop too, ain't it...
    Smooth is relative but a 20' backcountry pro guide with a 250 isn't a stereotypical flats
    Quote Originally Posted by stephensj9 View Post
    Lets hear it griffin.
    You drive a mitzi across the harbor and I'll swim. When we get to the other side I'll be drier.
    In all honesty my gator trax rides better.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Of course a Mitzi rides like shit, the hull weighs under 600 lbs. I however disagree about the wetness of the ride, especially relative to other flats boats... But to each his own opinion.

I feel like judging a flats boat on its ride across the harbor is like measuring up half ton pickups based on their quarter mile time.... It isn't what they were designed to do.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 02-15-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Smooth is relative but a 20' backcountry pro guide with a 250 isn't a stereotypical flats
    I knew what you were gonna say.

That 20' boat isn't what most folks think of as a flats boat.

I reckon it really is a flats boat, but it's a damn'd big one...

I've seen pictures of your ride on here, I think. It's a helluva nice ride...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

@Griff - Haha damn that's wet

I knew what you were gonna say.

That 20' boat isn't what most folks think of as a flats boat.

I reckon it really is a flats boat, but it's a damn'd big one...

I've seen pictures of your ride on here, I think. It's a helluva nice ride...
    I refuse to pole it for anyone
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I refuse to pole it for anyone
    And, I don't blame you one damn bit.

Screw. That.

Capt. Tom will pole it for ye...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Find u an old panga hull. Mine is 26' and floats in under 6" of water. Holds 6 people just fine. Rough water isnt an issue and is extremely fuel efficient

And, I don't blame you one damn bit.

Screw. That.

Capt. Tom will pole it for ye...
    Na i tried. Gave up and removed the platform

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTrooper View Post
    Find u an old panga hull. Mine is 26' and floats in under 6" of water. Holds 6 people just fine. Rough water isnt an issue and is extremely fuel efficient
    Yeah, but then he'd have a Panga hull.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Turbo, you're from Blythewood, the hell do you know about flats boats? Gypsy....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Yeah, but then he'd have a Panga hull.
    My thoughts exactly. To each his own but damn.

That's a hell of a nice boat griffin. Right now I'm just not in the market for one in that price range...maybe when I get the wife back to work after being home with the baby for 6 months and can build the savings account back up some!

You can find the 16' version with a 90 in your price range. Still run mid to high 40s and take a decent chop. Would be my #1 recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTrooper View Post
    Buy a 17-18 ft carolina skiff and put a poling platform on it. If your looking for a flats boat to possibly fit 4 people and keep it under 10k, your limiting your self to some old hulls.

This right here is the best advice so far for what it sounds like you want out of a boat.

Find a DLV hull. 178 or 198. I've got a 218, it'll float in 10" of water. No, it doesn't ride like a Sea Pro, but there ain't another 21' boat made that has the room it does, or that fishes better for what I do. Plenty of room for my two rug rats and the wife to go joy riding when we aren't fishing too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.