Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy

Just got home with the new boykin puppy and boy is he cute. I have one question...he seems to be sleeping alot and wondering if this is normal. Picked him up in Columbia and he slept all the way home.He is 7 weeks old and seems very healthy. Will try and post some pics we I learn how! He had his first set of shots and is due to receive his next set in the coming weeks. Just wish he was a little more playful! Any feedback is helpful........Thanks Chris

Very normal. Little ones wake up and are hard at playing for a couple of hours and then they just give out. As he gets older, he will be able to keep awake for longer periods between naps - he will still sleep/rest at least 75% of each day.

Congrats on the new addition.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Thanks alot for the reasurance. Went to the pet store today and purchased some expensive food called Nutro is this food really worth the price?

Enjoy the quiet time while you can. Once my Boykin was up and kicking he didn't take a nap outside of his kennel until he was 2 years old. The fun is just about to start.
    I will be picking up a Boykin pup in a couple of weeks myself and I am realy looking forward to it. Its been about 6 years since I had a puppy......just long enough to forget most of the bad things.....I must be crazy.
    Anyway good luck with your pup and get those picks in when you can.
    HRCH UH Buckeye's Kickin it Up a Notch (T-Boy)
    HR Bigez's Passin a Good Time (Boudreaux)

Not meaning to open a can of worms, but how did you settle on a Boykin vs. the other breeds out there?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

To answer the question about selection..This is my wifes first dog and she is not crazy about big dogs. Expecially ones with whip tales..lol So I did some research and chose a boykin pup. Well the quite time did not last long.He is barking and wimping as I type. How long sould this last?lol... Boy he barks loud for a small puppy!

Ok boykin owners I need some help. Puppy is almost 8 weeks old and all he has on his mind is chewing. Anything he can get his paws on toes,pants,shoes etc. I have purchased some
    dingo chews to help is this good or bad? Also is there anything I should be trying to teach at 8 weeks? Also how should I react to all this chewing is it normal or should I be correcting the dog? Any help is appreacated/sp. Thanks Chris

The dog is teething... it will chew anything until at least a year old. Do not try and teach it any thing except to come when called. If you want to throw a sock once or twice and have it chase it and return to you that is ok.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Set the dog up for success. Remove all items you don't want chewed. Don't let him chew on an old shoe, cause he won't know the difference twixt mama's new shoes and those ready for the trash.

They make a bitter apple spray for objects you don't want chewed that worked pretty good for my pup.

When pup chews on something you don't want him to take that item away and give it something such as a toy.

Light discipline, such as scolding, would be okay. Be very careful with any physical discipline. Have fun with pup! Enjoy the good and the not so good. Make the learning experiences FUN for both of you. Remember the pup is still that, just a pup.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

aahhh. reminds me of when i picked my boykin up at about the same age. have fun with him. play with him. let him know you are the boss but that you still like to play.

he will chew on stuff if you let him....mine liked old shoes and i was glad to let him have them.

my boykin is 11 years old now and can't hear, but i still remember the first few days of his life with me like it was yesterday.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

My parents just got a Boykin pup. I think he is 9 weeks old right now. He chews on everything! Last time I saw him all he does is walk around with his mouth open ready to chew on something. They are really pretty pups and I'm lookiing forward to hunting with him.

When is the appropriate time to introduce a pup to the leash? We've tried it and he can't stand the thing. He just rolls around and chews on it.

offhore clip a short light leash to his collar every so often and let him walk around with it. He will chew on it but after sometime will get used to it.

Summerduck. Not much in the way of training needs or should be done right now. Your pup is young just let him be a pup. You can throw "one or two" short retrieves in a hallway( A rolled up sock makes a good retrieving dummy for a pup). That way your pup has no way to get by you when he comes back. I would also allways keep your pup on a lead that way you can enforce the "here command" as well as throw "one or two" short retrieves in the yard and use the lead to get the pup to come on the here command. Remember keep the retrieves short and no more than a couple puppies get bored easily.
    The chewing can be aggravating. Give your pup a few dog toy's to chew on and make sure he knows he plays with these only. Never old shoes(they can't distinguish between old and new). Lab is also right about the bitter apple, spray it on what you don't wan't your pup to chew on. It does have to be repeated often though. Another tip that you might need is to take an old coke can fill it half way with rocks or marbles and shake it at him when he get's on furniture he's not wanted on he'll soon get the message there as well. Also a crate is the best device going to teach house training. I wouldn't suggest leaving the pup in it for more than 2 to 4 hours at the time though. When you take him from the crate go straight outside for him to relieve himself. Some people think the crate is cruel, but it really is a dogs best friend other than you that is.
    Pup's, especially boykins can be hard headed and some learn faster than others but once they get it they never forget.
    Jeff...
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

There are a few good retriever and "puppy" articles in the library section at this site. Their book "The 10-minute Retriever" is supposed to be very good as well.
    www.oakhillkennel.com
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

The retrieving in the hallway is the best... My labs had it down pat in no time...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Guys thanks for all the info..I love this forum! Thanks again Chris

Trying to upload some pics hope they turn out!

Hunley at 7 weeks old

One more for tonight.