Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rise and Fall of SC's inland gadwalls

Default The Rise and Fall of SC's inland gadwalls

To those of you paying attention over the last 5 years, you may have noticed that our inland gadwalls are declining.
    I started noticing a substantial increase in birds in the winter of 2009.

In the lean years (2002-2009) gadwalls weren't uncommon, but certainly weren't numerous along inland waterways.
    After the drought I was seeing bigger, and more flocks on public water, and from 2009-2014-15 season they were the number one duck in my boat.
    Granted I persued them more so than other ducks, but the increase in gadwalls wintering along the Santee Cooper watershed was definite.
    We were seeing them everywhere and hunters were killing decent numbers both publicly and privately.
    Both the Bluff and Cuddo units of the refuge were swarmed with them. On numerous accounts over several seasons, we have seen them stretch clear across Cantey Bay as well as Black Bottom. Several thousand.
    But last season, they weren't as numerous as the season before, and this season they are even more scarce. Some private places around here are still holding a decent amount of birds, but they are just remnants of leftover imprinting.
    My theory - vallisneria and southern naiad.

Up to 70% of gadwall's diet globally consists of aquatic vegetation.
    While gadwalls numbers have been climbing over the last decade, our increase in wintering birds on the Santee Cooper lakes, has to be directly related to the increase of SAVs in that 09-14 time period.
    Due to hard-nosed policies on Crested Floating Heart and Hydrilla, our once 18k acres of native vallisneria and southern naiad was wiped out, and I know that is why our gadwalls are finding somewhere else to winter.
    We have got to make it priority and take a stance to demand that native SAVs be brought back to the Santee Cooper lakes.
    The entire state will reap the benefits of thousands of acres of habitat centrally located.

Maybe it's a good idea to write a letter to your state reps asking them to support a proviso demanding this habitat be restored.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I noticed the same thing on the coast in a dramatic way. Nfws is not doing their jobs either. They hardly burn anymore, and when they do it's after January. There's so much that could change with little effort. It's like they just don't care!
    867-5309

I'd say 2012 was the last "good year" for the eel grass and hence the Gadwall as well as concentrations of Cans and Redheads I came to know and love.
    Declined a lot in 2103 and became non-existent in '14, along with a vast majority of the waterfowl certain areas held for several years in great numbers.
    That stint of food and hence great hunting was like a brief look back in time for me.

You know all this well Bog, but just to add some support and help explain to others we've got to fight for aquatic vegetation. It's not a dead horse or worthless cause. Guys, it didn't take long to see some tremendous results in waterfowl numbers.

I think that's what most folks don't grasp.
    Our habitat affects the ACE basin, Cooper, and Santee Delta, and vice versa.
    It's nothing for birds to fly to and from the coastal impoundments to Santee.
    Maybe 40 minute flights.

And it has become clear to me that several of the state owned and federal refuge impoundments are in dire straits.

We've got to step our game up.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Duck tape?
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Great hunt Griffin.

I know exactly where you killed those, but just because they were in there doesn't negate the fact that we are seeing a decline and something needs to be done.

As much as you like to hunt ducks, I figured you'd be all for habitat enhancement. I would expect you to be on the front line....maybe I'm wrong?

Griffin I don't know how long you've been doing that or in SC but that was the norm for even the weekend warrior for a while. The flights back and forth from the lakes is real and very much lacking in recent years. We need to work together to concentrate on SAVs. There are still birds but the lakes play such a big role it's critical.

I got to watch starting in the late 1980's as gadwall filled the void left by mallards. Then as gadwall soon outnumbered wigeon. In the later years, when the limit was still 3, we'd pass on wigeon to shoot gadwall. Now, it's the other way around.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Bog, I don't know what us residents need to do or how to fix it myself but I agree our lakes have too many grass carp and are lacking the vegetation and I would like for that to change. I sent and email last year from your thread but willing to lend a hand or be another voice again.

What can be done? I remember the last time I went to the weed meeting with y'all they could care less what the duck hunters had to say. Seems like all they cared about was making the home owners happy. What can we do to help make a difference?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Nobody in Columbia cares about heritage. What is an attention getter is $ and economic impact. We can position all day long about outdoorsman concerns but until we can squeeze money into the conversation it's going to be a difficult battle. Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    What can be done? I remember the last time I went to the weed meeting with y'all they could care less what the duck hunters had to say. Seems like all they cared about was making the home owners happy. What can we do to help make a difference?
    Making our state representatives aware of how much neglect is taking place is a start.
    18k acres of native habitat was destroyed by excessive grass carp stockings and herbicidal treatment.

Think about what would happen if the Forestry Service destroyed 18k acres of timber in the Congaree National Park....

It would make the front page of the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Great hunt Griffin.

I know exactly where you killed those, but just because they were in there doesn't negate the fact that we are seeing a decline and something needs to be done.

As much as you like to hunt ducks, I figured you'd be all for habitat enhancement. I would expect you to be on the front line....maybe I'm wrong?
    yea you think you know where I killed them.

And I am 100% for anything that improves habitat but I don't think our gadwall have declined. Widgeon and mallards hell yes but gadwall no. Moved around maybe. Also a caveat, I really don't think you can base anything off this season. We were slapping mosquitos in January and Squatty was wearing a T shirt hunting in MA in December. You said yourself in your duck poet post that this wasn't a normal year.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Think about what would happen if the Forestry Service destroyed 18k acres of timber in the Congaree National Park....

It would make the front page of the papers.
    I would want in on the salvage sale.

seriously, I applaud your efforts, clarkie. keep up the good fight
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    Griffin I don't know how long you've been doing that or in SC but that was the norm for even the weekend warrior for a while. The flights back and forth from the lakes is real and very much lacking in recent years. We need to work together to concentrate on SAVs. There are still birds but the lakes play such a big role it's critical.
    I grew up here so yea I know that wasn't the norm. The norm was a hell of a lot more mallards and widgeon
    I'm not down playing the decline of our ducks. Gadwall is not the species I would pick to point that out.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I can agree. I hunt a plantation with friends that has a field called the Widgeon field from back in the day when they were so plentiful. Overall, regardless of the species the habitat of the lakes plays such a big role in duck numbers it's got to be a critical focal point. Along with management of refuges and coastal regions. I do think Gadwall are the next species on the decline in our region though even if they are shifting. It's difficult though because this year was such an exception vs. rule...

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    yea you think you know where I killed them.

And I am 100% for anything that improves habitat but I don't think our gadwall have declined. Widgeon and mallards hell yes but gadwall no. Moved around maybe. Also a caveat, I really don't think you can base anything off this season. We were slapping mosquitos in January and Squatty was wearing a T shirt hunting in MA in December. You said yourself in your duck poet post that this wasn't a normal year.
    I do know. That place was a little gem but for the past 2 years folks have been going in there every week. This year it was hammered harder than the past 5.
    Don't think I'm trying to argue with you because that's really not my intention, but I know our gadwall have declined. Just because somebody sees a few hundred in the delta, ace, or wherever doesn't mean that we aren't losing ducks.
    I can think of a place right now that is swarming with Cans.....doesn't mean we have a lot of them.
    I assumed with you being such an avid hunter, you would want to help.
    We all want more and better habitat. It doesn't take long to write an email to your rep.

And I am basing this off of the last few seasons.

We killed a good many gadwalls last season, but we weren't seeing the numbers we have in the years before.
    My thought is do something now before it's really too late.

Bog when is the meeting again isn't it coming up? Or wasn't it this time of year before?
    Last edited by coot nasty; 02-02-2016 at 09:50 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I do know. That place was a little gem but for the past 2 years folks have been going in there every week. This year it was hammered harder than the past 5.
    Don't think I'm trying to argue with you because that's really not my intention, but I know our gadwall have declined. Just because somebody sees a few hundred in the delta, ace, or wherever doesn't mean that we aren't losing ducks.
    I can think of a place right now that is swarming with Cans.....doesn't mean we have a lot of them.
    I assumed with you being such an avid hunter, you would want to help.
    We all want more and better habitat. It doesn't take long to write an email to your rep.
    Obviously I have said I am all for helping in any fashion I can.