Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dove Season

Bring your duck dogs to our club trial/training day this weekend and lets see what they can do. Its an opportunity to check out that super dog on some real ducks. It will be a great time and maybe you can see something that you would like to teach your dog instead of arguing about it here. Bob
    An average hunt becomes great with a good dog

Damn a retriever that can retrieve at 5 months! I get more out of the shocking the shit out of my shitester than killin duck most days. Man thats fun!

My thoughts are to let the dog keep doing what ever hse wants and keep throwing decoys. She'll come around.
    80-20 Genaration

Why would one ff a dog, or e-collar one ,before you know if it is needed?????? Let the dog prove itself one way or the other first.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Because it's fun. I love to watch those cute little eyes POP out her head when i light her ass up!

Tell you boys what, Let's get together and have a little dog test. One bird planted at 150 yards and let's see who's dog get's it in the least amount of time as to not fuck up the rest of the hunt while an untrained shiteater runs around the decoys picking them up.And if you have to walk your dog to the area of the fall then your dog has you trained.
    80-20 Genaration

Why would one ff a dog, or e-collar one ,before you know if it is needed?????? Let the dog prove itself one way or the other first.
    Guess it depends on what kind of dog you want. One that will pick up most your ducks,or one that will do what you want when you want and pick up all your birds no matter how far they fall and wheather or not the dog saw it fall.
    80-20 Genaration

lab- they are training tools. ways of making your dog a better hunting companion and retriever. people dont do it on a basis whether or not they think there dog needs it, they do it so they have a foundation while training there dog.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Them e-collars work good. Nutz was trained with one! I seen it in action! That boy stood flatfooted and jumped higher'n my head and I'm over 6'! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Heck, I got one for SALE. Gettin to old for 2nd level. Use to like it but not anymore. I have got a new Tritronics any body interested!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Oh please DM#1! Just because your dog could swim just out the box you think your the cat's ass. LOL! In case anyones wondering that is an inside joke. My chessie had a problem with that the first year. Oh, and his first hunt he liked to fetch the shells being ejected out of Dm's 870. We worked everything out later and I really miss being able to hunt him now though so I can look back and and smile on good times with my dog and hunting friends.
    Breaking clays<br />makes my day,<br />but eating skeet<br />ain\'t no treat.

Originally posted by JABIII:
    [b] "
    Teach your dog to do what you tell it to do, don't make a robot out of it, and you will have a good duck dog.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

I had to agree with Johnny to train them to do what they are told, though we disagree on training methods.

A recent article in NC Wildlife mag by a guy that turned a resued dog from the pound into his fine hunting dog over a 3 yr period by training more as he learned more along and along. But the key point to me was how he was so pleases with a dog that merely picked up 100% of the birds he shot last year, and was able to do a 40 yd blind....

As long as you are happy with your dog then you have accomplished something. Some of us want a lot more......

Collars dont ruin dogs, trainers do.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

I have not force fetched my dog nor put an e collar on him, and yet he does what I tell him to do. And anyone that enjoys shocking their dog is a phucked up individual whether a duck hunter or not.

If the dog listens, fetches, holds, and retrieves to hand whether on blind marks or not, why would you force fetch him? Why would you put a collar on him??

i may be a tool, but you sir are the dumbass.
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

Costa,

I don't give a damn about what you "think" you know. Why not read Richard Wolters or Jim Lamb Free's books. Wolters is probably one of the best retriever trainers this world has seen. And, not once, can I find where he has ever thought that FF was necessary! If you read his book and train by his methods, you WILL have a dog that handles very well without FF. FF was developed more for pointers,setters etc. I'm not saying there have not been some training improvements since Wolters or Free's books have been out, however, the foundation of their works is still among the best out there and widely used today in some fashion.

And Duckman to you I will say that I have seen a plenty of retrievers that could match a FF dog any day in the field. Those dogs were intelligent, well trained, but they also had other requirements as well. And that is a heart and love for what they did, as well as great genetics!

Costa before you run your mouth so much I would suggest you read everything you can get your hands on. When I first got my pup I was literally obsessed with learning everything I could about labs and their training. I had my dog almost to the point I wanted her which was like the dogs in Wolters books. Problem was, I ran into some serious time constraints in training. Still pisses me off to this day what I lost by not continuing on.

Keep an open mind, sure FF may be needed on occasion, but it is no more a requirement for a great field dog, than an e-collar. Some dogs need the stuff, some don't. Those are NOT blanket issues!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Remember, a dog is only as good as the trainer!
    Originally posted by scfisherman143: "we mostly have woodies and teal but today we had workable big ducks allot of them ringnecks buffleheads redheads teal woodies it was amazing\"<br /><br />Another brilliant future duck hunter in the making

lab im not telling you to ff your dog, i have never once on this forum told anyone that it is necessary to ff their dog or use an ecollar. im telling you that it is a good tool for training your dog. it helped me in training my dog. i didnt even know what ff was until my dog was a year old. but when i learned i was able to take that tool and make my dog a better retriever using it. im glad you and many other trainers dont have to use ff or use a collar, but for me it worked. and if anyone needs advice i tell them what has worked for me.
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

Originally posted by HuntinCosta:
    tool
    Tool. Coincidence, I think not. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

i have never once on this forum told anyone that it is necessary to ff their dog or use an ecollar. im telling you that it is a good tool for training your dog
    Alrighty, since you wrote that clarification, I will accept it with one minor change. That it "MAY" be a good tool for training your dog.

How's that???
    12-26-98 12-1-13

"That it "MAY" be a good tool for training your dog."

Especially if you have one of these...

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.