Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Pirogue ordering....

Got a case of get them get the fuckin boats out of my shed so I can make room for some round bails!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Well how does everybody like them? Pictures or some opinions would be appreciated.

My little girl loves daddy's boats

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

That's an awesome picture Thomas.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Here's a picture of my mudbug as soon as I unloaded it. The twins fell in love with it.

I'll admit that I had no idea of what a pirogue was prior to this post and order. I'll even admit I didn't really think I needed one but simply bought one because Scott was offering up the trip to pick it up. I decided on the Mudbug because I wanted the ability to add a trolling motor for fishing if I never found a use for it duck hunting. The only time I've had it in the water was in the pool for a test. Here are my thoughts on it:

Pros: I was able to get me, my 3 legged pup and 6 year old son in and out and paddle around without flipping several times. I even let the dog retrieve some bumpers in the pool and could load her without flipping. I could also paddle standing up which was nice.

Cons: The bummer was the trolling motor. With just a 30 lb thrust motor, small cranking battery, and my fat ass, the boat rides so low in the back there's no way I'd attempt it. If you could redistribute the weight maybe, but even then with the slightest over correction my ass is going in with my sense of balance. The other bummer is I'm going to have to be delicate with it. I'm used to banging around plastic kayaks and that's definitely not the case with these.

Between ordering the pirogue and actually getting it I acquired some land where I can actually use it for what it's designed for and I'm excited about that. I'm looking forward to pictures of SCDucker's hunt pictures and how they brushed them in when hunting from them. Thanks again Scott for going to get them!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scoutlover; 10-25-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    Here's a picture of my mudbug as soon as I unloaded it. The twins fell in love with it.

I'll admit that I had no idea of what a pirogue was prior to this post and order. I'll even admit I didn't really think I needed one but simply bought one because Scott was offering up the trip to pick it up. I decided on the Mudbug because I wanted the ability to add a trolling motor for fishing if I never found a use for it duck hunting. The only time I've had it in the water was in the pool for a test. Here are my thoughts on it:

Pros: I was able to get me, my 3 legged pup and 6 year old son in and out and paddle around without flipping several times. I even let the dog retrieve some bumpers in the pool and could load her without flipping. I could also paddle standing up which was nice.

Cons: The bummer was the trolling motor. With just a 30 lb thrust motor, small cranking battery, and my fat ass, the boat rides so low in the back there's no way I'd attempt it. If you could redistribute the wait maybe, but even then with the slightest over correction my ass is going in with my sense of balance. The other bummer is I'm going to have to be delicate with it. I'm used to banging around plastic kayaks and that's definitely not the case with these.

Between ordering the pirogue and actually getting it I acquired some land where I can actually use it for what it's designed for and I'm excited about that. I'm looking forward to pictures of SCDucker's hunt pictures and how they brushed them in when hunting from them. Thanks again Scott for going to get them!

I'm glad you posted this. I've been looking at the mudbug for the same purpose of putting a trolling motor on it. Guess that may not be the best path to take. However, I've looked at the conversion kits for making a small weed-whacker long tail motor that would probably be a better fit. Just louder.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    I'm glad you posted this. I've been looking at the mudbug for the same purpose of putting a trolling motor on it. Guess that may not be the best path to take. However, I've looked at the conversion kits for making a small weed-whacker long tail motor that would probably be a better fit. Just louder.
    I'm glad I could help. I will say though that I weigh about 250 pounds, the battery weighs around 60 pounds I'm guessing, and the trolling motor another 20 pounds or so. The Mudbug is rated for 400 pounds so that puts 85% of the weight in the back three or four feet of a 13 foot boat and it's not wider like a jon boat to support the extra weight. It's also rated for a 2 horsepower outboard so I need to look at the weight of one of those. In the mean time I'm thinking about using longer battery cables and moving the battery to the front and trying again.

Those kids don't know how lucky they are with Daddies like you. Good on y'all for letting them be around the outdoors and the things we use to accomplish our tasks. A few killers in these pictures for sure.

Anytime you load such a small craft, weight distribution is always important!
    FYI, they're a whole lot tougher than you are giving credit....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE