Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapping Yotes

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Default Trapping Yotes

OK, my good friend and I are just starting out. Caught a couple so far. We are trying to do our part. If more folks would do it, we would all probably be better off. This may be a part of deer management for all of us to learn to do in the future. Compared to 20 years ago, predator management is now an integral part of deer management.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 12-16-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

What are you using?

I shot 2 does the other night. Couldnt recover one right away and was in a bit of a hurry. It was plenty cold so I let her sit. Came back the next morning and put the dog on it. Nothing but the head and feet were remaining...I hate yotes!

I want to try it this winter after the season is over with dirt hole sets and #2 leg hold traps. I have been doing a little research as to proper methods and what works the best. Excited to try it.

I'm about to start learning from some guys in the next few weeks and plant to give it a whirl.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Just ordered another trap today. I'm going to give it a go.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

MB550's OS is the way to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

wouldn't mind setting up a trap at the club to catch some. any tricks?

Nick where are you ordering from?
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

I picked up one from Mack's while ordering a Christmas present.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

We are primarily using Victor #3's with soft catch jaws in case we catch a dog.......which we have done. I want to try some Minnesota 550's with the soft catch. We are using dirt hole sets. Will probably set up a scent post this weekend. You really need a dozen or more traps to start out. Use dual rebar stakes to make sure they stay there. If you can tell a trap is there so can the yote. Watch your scent and don't get stingy with the bait.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Do y'all boil and wax your traps?

Why so many traps?

Website that we typically order supplies from is www.Fntpost.com, they should have anything that you need. Another site to check out is Sullivan's Trapline, pretty good forum on trapping in general. Also don't forget to work on the coons, possums, and shunks as well if you want to help the turkey population out.

My brother typically tries to "shotgun" a piece of property setting 15-20 sets of different varieties for 10-14 days and moving on to next area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Invite him inside for a tall cool glass of die mother fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    Do y'all boil and wax your traps?
    What does this do?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    Why so many traps?
    12 traps ain't shit in the trapping world.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    with soft catch jaws in case we catch a dog.......which we have done.
    Gotta check the traps everyday for ^this reason.

CWPinst, trapping bait saves money... I'm just saying
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 12-16-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    What does this do?
    Process for eliminating scent. I bought some traps a while back and the old man said something about boiling them and waxing them.
    Last edited by XHailGC; 12-16-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    We are primarily using Victor #3's with soft catch jaws in case we catch a dog.......which we have done. I want to try some Minnesota 550's with the soft catch. We are using dirt hole sets. Will probably set up a scent post this weekend. You really need a dozen or more traps to start out. Use dual rebar stakes to make sure they stay there. If you can tell a trap is there so can the yote. Watch your scent and don't get stingy with the bait.
    Have caught multiple dogs with the MB's and have yet to damage one, even caught a bull mastiff once.

I use the original super stakes(the dart), much quicker and have yet to see one pull out.

Those with new traps, pressure wash them, hang them for a week and let a little rust form on them, then dip and wax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

but what if scientific studies say that trapping isnt effective in terms of fawn recruitment? Sure, it would still be fun....but are you kidding yourself about trapping coyotes to help the deer population?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Had someone mention of using 4-5' piece of 6-8" pvc buried at an angle to trap coyotes. He said the coyote will go in for the bait but can't get turned around to get out. Anyone ever try this method?