Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic "Old School" Anything...

A large amount of my gear would fall into this... and the only thing I don't reminisce about is the old pair of canvas/rubber waders sitting in my hunt shed. I still have a pair in working order, waxed belt even, I used to lend them out some years back to friends that forgot theirs.

Coolest thing I've ever owned was a Widgeon Quad IV circa 1989 in old school.

I've got a twenty something year old Barbour Solway that I sent back a couple years ago. My tab was pricey, but I bought it new, and I liked it. Filson belts, shell belts, hats, shirts, some duxbak stuff left. I had this old Filson spoonbill hat, waxed long bill, I miss that booger, and I can't find another that fits my noggin. Several old guns, my favorite being a Beretta Silverhawk 16g that was one of my Dad's first guns.

As the air turns cold every year two items im never caught without are a boggan, and gloves that I got for Christmas when I was 8.(I'm 29) I normally wear a mcAlister jacket, but it's not nearly as old. A 10 yo browning gold, no where near classic by my standards, and burlapped Herters that I have no idea of their age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I have a McAlister jacket. Got it on close out about 4 years ago so not old but old style. I've taken my 1964 1100 20 ga duck hunting once but it's killed many doves. I really would like to find an old leather game strap some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old duxback coat wear it for every hunt.

Sweet 16 browning.

World War 2 surplus Ithaca 37 with a cutts compensator my grandfather used to hunt geese with.

Lets see here... I hunt with Browning A-5's (light 20, mag 20, sweet 16, light 12 and mag 12) and Winchester m12's (16 ga and 20 ga) and Ithaca M37's (12 ga and 16 ga) a LC Smith (12 ga) of my granddads along with his AH Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga.
    My decoys are a mix of Herters (foam and burlap wrapped) and corks
    Clothes are a mix of 20 year old stuff and more modern stuff but my hat is a brown wool fedora
    Boat and truck are more modern
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    L L bean red chamois button downs. Lasts 3 generations.
    I never could get into the reds, I always wore the greens. When I was young we well the back then "we" the Boykin Hunting Club had pretty large Camp Hunts. There was always "war" to be played, plus Tea Cups and Bloody Fingers, and I wasn't going to hide in a red shirt.

Last edited by Highstrung; 01-18-2016 at 05:48 PM.

LL bean corks and 2 3/4" high brass 5's
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I still use my grandad's old boat from time to time. 1958 13' alumacraft, had a 1976 Merc 20 on it for a while.

alumacraft.jpg

The former owner of McAlister is in talks with the owners of the Duxback brand. He wants to bring back a line of waxed clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    No timeline but I'd suggest Drake and Banded gear don't apply. Hey, but if you consider it classic then that's all that matters. But for purposes of trucks, 1985 or older.
    Given the 1985 date, I'm hunting with a classic/antique right hip and right elbow and back. Does any of that count?
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Ive had some old boats in my time and thankfully have upgraded (even though a bad fuel line and a loose kill switch this year had me cussin em). I hunt with herters decoys that are older than me along with some new fangled ones. I hate motorized decoys of any sort. I alternate between a 6 year old call and a 60 year old one depending on the area where i hunt. I very rarely wear wool because id sweat my balls off so a good fleece and either a filson or mccalister coat works fine.
    My gun of choice is my 68 blonde belgium magnum but i rarely take it since im scared of messing it up. Ill take an old 71 light 12 dove hunting and occasional woodie shoot if i know the weather is going to be good. Picked up a 1959 winchester heavy duck a few years back but it has a problem with shells sticking in the chamber and i havent had time to get it fixed. Most of time the original SBE gets the nod
    Drive 2 old broncos, one a 96 and one a 67. They do what i need to do. Then again those heated seat in the wife's suburban sure were nice the other mornin when my waders leaked a little more than usual
    I like old stuff because imo it was made by people who took pride in their work and built a good product. People say herters are over rated. Do you think them pretty full curls and higdons you bought will still be usable in 30 years? I dont kill a bunch of birds mainly because i dont get to go nearly as much as I used to. I enjoy the times spent with friends and family more than anything and when the ducks cooperate its just a bonus. Its all in what makes a man happy. Some are numbers guys and some are quality guys. Some like new gadgets and some like old stuff.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Woods Artic Jacket- Canvas exterior and goose down interior lining. They sold for $300 in 1975. It's in my closet today waiting on some real weather.

Bunn, I seriously need that.

It's time to let it go and let it live on.

I'll wear it weekly with pride.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Always have old Filson strap vest. Still trying to figure up a safe load for my old winchester 1897 pump gun for ducks. Right now it is a dove murderer. Do original bottomland and trebark remington shotguns circa early 90's count? Or what about all the original mossy oak clothes from late 80's early 90's?
    Last edited by BRR; 01-18-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Always have old Filson strap vest. Still trying to figure up a safe load for my old winchester 1897 pump gun for ducks. Right now it is a dove murderer. Do original bottomland and trebark remington shotguns circa early 90's count? Or what about all the original mossy oak clothes from late 80's early 90's?
    My brother has one of those 97's. Find u some of the new rio bismuth for it and youll be fine.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Bunn, I seriously need that.

It's time to let it go and let it live on.

I'll wear it weekly with pride.
    It's like brand new and it's been worn a lot. That leather shooting pad on the right shoulder is slick and polished from my A5 Stalker.