Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic "Old School" Anything...

Default Classic "Old School" Anything...

Ok Gents - this site has had very few solid threads recently and I think the generally warm weather and crappy migration has everyone on edge and bickering like school girls. As such I thought I'd start a topic some might enjoy.

As the title reads...What traditional, old school, classic, throw back, whatever you want to call it, equipment do you use for waterfowl hunting? Can be anything, bags, decoys, guns, boats, trucks (less Dr. Ducks F-150, sorry couldn't resist). I'll go first...

As my wife likes to say I'm an "old soul". My hunts always include the following:

1) LL. Bean cork decoys. My collection includes mallards and blacks but I have 1 hen summer duck and 2 drake green wings. I love the Summer Duck and Teal and they ALWAYs accompany my freshwater spreads! Only plastics I use are coots...

2)Filson field/shoulder bag - it's old by my standards (10 yrs). I've owned it since new and had to repair a strap once. It'll keep water out and will double as a bucket without leaking if filled with water! It's stained with coffee, mud, blood, and who knows what else. I like it and use it every hunt.

3) Ithaca NID SxS 20g - not every hunt but as many as possible. Also carry my Dad's 1100 from time to time. Want to expand in this area in the future.

The area I've moved away from traditional is my jacket. I have a Filson wading and Barbour jacket that I may wear from time to time still but honestly the technology of synthetics is too much better to stay cold using old gear! I do wear wool though. Nothing beats it!

Go...

a 56' duracraft. That old school enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Anybody that knows me knows I love old hats and coats. Boxy old vintage meshbacks, and 30 year old vests and parkas.

I'm a collector. I've got old DU chapter hats from the early 80s I usually wear.

Recently found an old wool, woolrich hat in an old closed hardware store in Elloree. Sucker is bad to the bone.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    a 56' duracraft. That old school enough?
    Yep...Mine's a 95 not as seasoned but on it's way!

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Anybody that knows me knows I love old hats and coats. Boxy old vintage meshbacks, and 30 year old vests and parkas.

I'm a collector. I've got old DU chapter hats from the early 80s I usually wear.

Recently found an old wool, woolrich hat in an old closed hardware store in Elloree. Sucker is bad to the bone.
    Good deal. I like it! I forgot about hats. I don't have old ones but I do only wear two that are old technology. Both are waxed and hot as hell but I like them.

Had a fella went hunting with us this past Saturday that wore his grandpa's old school rabbit hunting vest. If I'm not mistaken, it was a Ted Williams? I could be way off base, but I swear I think that's what it said.

L L bean red chamois button downs. Lasts 3 generations.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    L L bean red chamois button downs. Lasts 3 generations.
    It's funny you mention this, my father in law wrote an article for Grays that talks about his old red shirt.

If any of you are interested it is in the 2013 Nov/dec grays sporting journal. "An old red shirt"-Jim Mize

And yes that shirt is in its third generation

Ted Williams had a line at Sears. I have some old 20 gauge shell boxes from them.

If y'all are not careful you were going to turn the "old" into the new cool. And then all that old stuff will be impossible to find.

Having said that I do prefer wall and wax.

Yep 1986 BADASS Ford ol school enough.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    It's funny you mention this, my father in law wrote an article for Grays that talks about his old red shirt.

If any of you are interested it is in the 2013 Nov/dec grays sporting journal. "An old red shirt"-Jim Mize

And yes that shirt is in its third generation
    That is great. Looking forward to reading it.
    I also have and old one that is sort of a Marine camo. I am too fat for it now.

I do have some old DU hats, but im too young to consider any of my stuff oldschool.

I wear my grandpa's old Army issued winter hat with the ear flaps, when I'm on a cold hunting trip. That hat has been to Iceland, and throughout Europe during his 3 years in WWII. Said it kept his head warm during Battle of the Bulge. When I went to St. Paul Island, Alaska for King Eiders, between my travels and my grandpa's, the old hat had literally been halfway around the world.

I also wear his old brown camo jacket and his old upland game bird vest.

I shoot a 20+ year old Winchester 1300 20 gauge that my dad bought for dove hunting, but later gave to me after he quit dove hunting. If not that I'll shoot either my grandpa's 12 or 20 gauge 1100's.

I always have a piece of my grandpa with me when I hunt. His love of hunting passed down to my dad, and they both passed it on to me. Don't ever forget where you came from.
    Last edited by BEAR; 01-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.

I have some duxbak flannel shirts that I have worn since I was a teenager. They are looking rather old, but I still love them.

I also still wear my LL Bean duck boots that are going on 23 years old. They have been back for repair several times now.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Yep 1986 BADASS Ford ol school enough.
    Close thread
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

How old does something have to be to be considered a classic?
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

A Wool Elmer Fudd hat in TreeBark pattern.

No timeline but I'd suggest Drake and Banded gear don't apply. Hey, but if you consider it classic then that's all that matters. But for purposes of trucks, 1985 or older.

I drive my '79 FJ40 around to hunt in SC. I have a Filson shell vest I wear, it's not old, maybe 4 years. I have a McAlister shell vest I wear occasionally, I think it's close to 12 years old now. I have a back up McAlister shell vest that I never wore that is waiting to replace the one I occasionally wear now, those things are selling for $150 - $300 on eBay now. I have a few McAlister jackets I wear when it's raining or very windy. I have some older stuff that doesn't fit, my son will get it when he's old enough.