Thread: training help needed

My pup esso is a machine when it comes to retrieving, on water and on land. However, i can make him sit and stay and then throw the dummy but i can not get him to release the sit and go fetch the dummy. My water dog video just says to say his name, but says nothing else about it. What do i do to make him go and get it from the sit postion? any help will be greatly appreciated
    \"Will Rogers Never Met a Gamecock.\"

How old is the pup? Either he's awful damn steady or he doesn't understand what you want him to do. I would try calling his name very excitedly and running toward the dummy with him. If he'll pick it up, run back to the original place you started and try to get him to sit while holding the bumper. I'm no expert, but that's what I'd try.
    S.C. - Standing alone against Northern aggression since 1861 (LAT)

From your previous post I am guessing he is a very young pup (around 5 months??)...which is IMO too young for much steadying unless he is just choked with desire (and I am not talking your usual obsessed boykin or lab).... I would not bet he has the drive to start steadying at 5 months.

I would take a step back and hold him around the chest, while he is standing. Toss a bird/bumper out there 10-20 yards out on short grass and as it is hitting the ground say his name (in a semi-excited way), remove your hand from his chest and give him a little push in the direction of the bird/bumper. Do this for a few days until he starts getting the picture of his name being a release.

From here you can move to the sitting with your arm/hand in front of his chest and releasing in the same fashion as above.

This is a very gross direction. If you can give us more details on his background (age, and other steps you have been through (like how long you can leave him sitting by himself when marks are not thrown))...we might be of more use.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

well he is about 5 moths old. He is not steadying but i can tell him to sit and he will stay seated until i leave the room. also its not because of his unusual drive its just that he does not understand what i want him to do . He does have a good desire to retrieve though. but i was just trying to make him sit, then throw the dummy, then tell him to go fetch it and i am not sure how to do that. i was just under the impression that that was the next step in the training process. thanks again

i would try alot of happy bumpers because he is to young to be that steady and it may be the start of a lack of desire and you have the control (somewhat) of that at this point. give him a big hey hey hey and throw the bumper and say his name when he leaves to fetch. he will get the point in a few days.

My pup is about the same age and I'm starting to steady her up now. I use a short lead and collar and hold up on the lead and tell her to sit. Throw the dummy and then release and call her name. I don't wait a long time to release her but I do increase the time at each training session. Try taking a step toward the dummy with your left foot if heeled on the left and swing your left hand out as if pitching an underhand softball as the hand passes her head call her name. Once you get her going you can extend the distances of your throws but until she understands what you want her to do keep it short. Hope this helps.
    An average hunt becomes great with a good dog

Originally posted by cottonwood:
    i would try alot of happy bumpers because he is to young to be that steady and it may be the start of a lack of desire and you have the control (somewhat) of that at this point. give him a big hey hey hey and throw the bumper and say his name when he leaves to fetch. he will get the point in a few days.
    What Cottonwood said. Also when you throw the happy bumpers, say, "Esso" loudly. She'll soon get the hang of going on her name.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

MRQ...I believe you have a very simple problem. You can approach a # of different ways. After hearing your background I would still progress as I suggested. You do want to be giving him fun bumpers and doing so in the fashion that others suggested is fine but working on steadyness separately IMO. The two will tie together. If this presents a problem in your next session after a fun bumper or two followed by holding her around her chest, tossing the bumper, then releasing her on her name and moving your arm and giving her a nudge forward then PM me and we can get together sometime.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

thanks fellas,

I tried your tips today, and they worked, he is is still a little unsure aboutit but i can tell he is starting to get it, i will take him out later this afternoon, and tommorw and we will see how his progress thanks again

Just remember RPM

R reputition

P patients

M motivation
    80-20 Genaration