Thread: what should i look for

i want to get a lab and i don't know what to look for to make a good ret.

Wow, you'll get a few oppinions on this topic. I don't have time to get into it right now...I'll be back with two cents in a little while.

First look at the pedagree see if the parents come from hunt stock? What style dog do you like short thick english stock or tall lean field trial stock. look at both parents don't just take the breeders word. How much money are you willing to spend. You get what you pay for. Is the dog going to be a house dog or a yard dog? I went and picked out our pup sunday I took 2 pigeons. killed 1 to see what the pup would do with it. then gave her a live 1 to see if she would go after it. That lets me know if they are birdy. If the dog shows no entrest I look for another pup.good luck on your pup.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

I would alo look for the health cert's on the parents. OFA score on the hips and maybe the elbows and cerf score for the eyes. I would also strongly consider to expect a health garauntee on the pup. I would also look at the temperment of the parents could be a strong indicator of what the pup's will be like.
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

The two things that have already been mentioned are the most important things. Pedigree and health will eliminate more headaches from the start.

I wouldn't buy a puppy from anyone who didn't give a written gaurantee for hips and eyes.

I wouldn't buy a puppy that didn't have some kind of hunt test or field trial title on one or preferrably both sides at least from grandsire or dam.

There are tons of puppies out there that fit that description. It is totally a buyers market when it comes to puppies.

Most important rule IMO.... You don't get something for nothing.

There are numerous very good trainers in SC and NC that have good puppies almost all of the time. If you need a list just ask.

Okay, heres my two cents. How much do you want to spend and what do you want, ultimately, out of your dog? Are you looking for a field trail dog or do you want a semi-trained huntin buddy? There is a pretty wide spectrum of expectations between the two. Are you going to put in the effort to justify spending a lot of money on a pup? Like Guru said...you get what you pay for in most instances.

When choosing from a litter I have always been of the oppinion that a middle of the line pup will offer better temperment than one from the extreme ends like an alpha or what would be refered to as a runt. What I would avoid is a dog that will be too dominant or one that will be unable to handle the pressure required to become a well trained dog.

I would look around and see what some of the local trainers have to offer. Be mindful of the fact that oppinions will vary widely/wildly with regards to what is a good dog or, for that matter, who is a good trainer. Don't fall for the first sumbitch tryin to peddle a pup. Do yourself a favor...don't take your checkbook or your wife when you're looking at a litter.

Do yourself a favor...don't take your checkbook or your wife when you're looking at a litter.

you are 100% correct with that statement.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

When you do find a litter that you like, walk up to all the puppies and eliminate all the ones that lay in the back of the kennel. Look for the ones that make eye contact with you. Then pick three or four and find the personality you like.

The other guys pretty much have it coverd. It is a very personal and varied choice.

You get what you pay for, if you want a dog to hunt over, don't screw around with pet breeders. Spend a few hundred more and go ahead and get a hunt test dog, they are everywhere in all types of confirmation to suit you. You will feed the dog more than the few hundred in a year and not to mention bet bills and trianing time. Most guys really don't do that bad with how they train, they just start with shit. A good pup will have enough to offer to get you beyond your mistakes and turn out to be nice dog. A pup with no drive is quickley ruined by an experienced trainer, he was basically ruined to start with.

Get a dog if you want him tough and you can stand him pissing you off, a bitch if you don't and can't. Good Luck
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

These guys have it covered for you. I hope you take it to heart. Most don't and spend the next 15 years with a dog that dosn't suit them or only 2 years with a invalid dog that dies an unseemly death due to piss poor breeding. I would add that you are best off by selecting the breeder or kennel to get your pup from, if it is reputable you will get placed on a waiting list. Give this person every detail to your life and your full expectations of the dog, even if it is to be a couch potatoe. Then let them pick out your pup for you. The kennel folks spend every day of 7 or 8 wks with the pups and know in detail every pups stregths and weaknesses. The average guy or gal cannot possibly hope to pick better in only 1 hour or so on pick up day.
    I would also say consider your breed choices and don't pick based on what dog your buddy owns. A hunting line dog that isn't hunted will drive you nuts and destroy the place. A show lab is pretty but most won't hunt for the cookie jar. A lab that you only hunt doves and wood ducks with might be better replaced with a Boykin or English cocker, they eat less and take up less room. Visa a Versa if you goose hunt or go to big water. Good luck

Bill Crites
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

Originally posted by wcrites307:
    Give this person every detail to your life and your full expectations of the dog, even if it is to be a couch potatoe. Then let them pick out your pup for you. The kennel folks spend every day of 7 or 8 wks with the pups and know in detail every pups stregths and weaknesses. The average guy or gal cannot possibly hope to pick better in only 1 hour or so on pick up day.
    Advice that I follow and that I suggest to others. Few get this and most have a hard time following it.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

I think I just got my feeling hurt by 307. He said that my show lab won't hunt .
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS