Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Santee Coastal Reserve Meeting Update

Who is the "Akki" cat you speak of? Is that the tall foreign dude that works down there with the thick accent?

I wish I had more time to devote to the cause right now. S9 if there's anything I can do to help I will or let me know.

I just don't have the energy to get riled up about this. Just makes me frustrated.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    If there was/has been employee mismanagement then why in the hell do they hire a new manager and 9 other employees with NO waterfowl management experience!

Because they can pay them a lot less. That's the long and short of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats Strick.

You have met with a government employee, complained, and got a promise to do better.

Congrats, you are elected.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

thank you for doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Because they can pay them a lot less. That's the long and short of it.

Those jobs are political as hell! The reason they hired people with no waterfowl experience is because those cats know people and wanted the jobs.

Hell I would volunteer to help out for the areas around my place. Good job man! Keep it up
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

It makes no sense!
    Managing coastal impoundments ain't exactly easy....it takes hands on experience, a lot of time and oversight, and passion to get out, check, monitor, and make the proper changes stat to see that things don't get all F'd up!
    Not exactly the place for a German wet behind the ears with desert dew!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Thanks Strick9 for your efforts, hopefully we will see some improvements.

Thanks for taking the ball and running with it Strick9.

I will also gladly volunteer to physically do the work.

What can we do to help?

Can we as a SCDUCKS group get a volunteer list together and show Dean how eager we are to make this happen?

Strick9, many beers shall be bought for you in the future. Enjoyed talking with you the other day and applaud your efforts sir!

I brought up the topic of a work type day for volunteers, it was basically answered with give us a chance to make it right. I imagine the liability issue even with a waiver would be a hard court to press at the moment.

I agree very firmly about the lack of experience but also knew that pressing this issue would have likely ended the meeting and quickly on a down note.

I have no idea why, who or how Achi was chosen, only that he was and that he showed either a very good bluff or a true committed stance on getting it right.

As it ended promises and commitments were voiced from both Dean and Achi. Also I was given the nod to follow up and even ride with Achi which believe me I will certainly do. Left on a good note and be I snowed or not it was a better outcome with common sense actions planned and clearly layed out.

What would directly help is if someone of both research and computer saviness could take the time to see how many SC duck stamps were purchased in 2014. Then put together a financial revenues loss statement as related to SC waterfowlers leaving the state to hunt else where or from just the loss of traveling in state.

The statement should include all the basics including gas, shells, gear, hotel stays, food, what else?
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    Those jobs are political as hell! The reason they hired people with no waterfowl experience is because those cats know people and wanted the jobs.

That's another reason. Politicians are a bunch of back scratchers. You scratch mine, I'll scratch yours...

They aren't going to let volunteers come out and do the type of work that needs to be done there. Installing trunks and burning isn't exactly volunteer criteria.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

My bad Strick. Musta been typing at the same time.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Default Santee Coastal Reserve Meeting Update

If the funds, equip, and personnel are there, I don't care how inexperienced the crew is, if the leader knows what to do its on his shoulders to train and cross train his people. There is no reason that you could continue effing things up for years without catching it and correcting it. Bottom line. If they're "not allowed" to get dirty then they should have ample time to move around and make sure that they're employees are doing right and giving a shit, if not kick them to the wayside and get someone in there that will at least put forth the effort to do so. One would think as federally regulated as waterfowl hunting is that the Feds might lend a hand or at least a word or two to help.

Last edited by TXFowler; 01-05-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Kudos to you Strick for taking initiative!

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    If the funds, equip, and personnel are there, I don't care how inexperienced the crew is, if the leader knows what to do its on his shoulders to train and cross train his people. There is no reason that you could continue effing things up for years without catching it and correcting it. Bottom line.

Funds and equipment are there....I can't speak for personnel.

Thanks S9. I commend you for your initiative and appreciate the report back. I don't have any first hand knowledge of these historic regions in the LC outside of books, stories and the few trips I've take down there with friends and family randomly over the years. I'm an upstate guy through and through but worry immensely for my home states waterfowling future if the correct leadership actions aren't made quickly on these properties.

Good on you for holding their feet to the fire BUT- as knowledgable as Dean may be, he hasn't exactly made Donnelly (where he has lived for years) what it was when Bobby Ellis managed it. I personally see backwaters that held hundreds of ringos on a daily basis choked with so much purple loostrife, lilly, and junk that even the otters won't use it. So, a little public oversight will definitely be needed on both ends.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson