Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santee Coastal Reserve Meeting Update

Default Santee Coastal Reserve Meeting Update

First , my apologies for any spelling and gramatical errors.

After a few email exchanges I was able to get a meeting set up with Dean Harrigal head of SCDNR waterfowl management and Akki(sp) the new manager for the Santee Coastal Reserve.

I asked Bogster to join as to provide someone who could represent the upper reach of the Santee lakes.

To me this wasn't about the kill or numbers dead its about the death of an ethical waterfowling cuture, community and the death of a once great fly way.

As to waterfowl numbers in our state, some will say that we don't have the weather anymore to push them South. This belief is easily proved incorrect with a quick 6 hour drive to various parts of Florida. It is certain to me that migrating waterfowl either short stop or completely hop our coastal zones these days in search of better habitat and food.

Our Santee lake system has another story of mismanagement entirely which Bogster and others have been fighting to correct for years now.

Most do not know or might not believe this but the "day" birds of the Santee Delta would often roost on Moultrie and Marion. The "day" birds on these lakes would often roost in the Delta. So the two habitats go hand in hand with one another despite their many ecological differences.

In the early 90s I spent hours timing, taking bearings and driving to discover this cross roost theory of mine was accurate. Jab it seems actually followed them as well but from a helicopter and also confirmed my theory in but that is his story to tell.

To the meeting:

It started out rather abrasive coming from Deans direction ( which I had expected) as I had alluded to the fact that I was in possesion of many photos showing clear evidence that the impoundment conditions were in great duress due to the mismanagement where as concerned to the needs o waterfowl and other migratory birds.

Once we got past how I had acquired the photos things smoothed out.

The targeted areas in my mind to address were the protection of existing state waterfowl habitat, the rejuvenation of existing waterfowl habitat and the timely restoration of the waterfowl migration flyways located in SC.

Put Simply, where are the ducks? The ducks are where there the food is, no? Then why if we have the land do we not have the food?

I emphasized both the economic loss and the cultural losses but the conversation mainly focused on scientific evidence specifically surrounding the Santee Coastal Reserve (SCR).

The main topic in my mind to breech was why do the impoundments of the SCR appear in such a mismanaged state of disarray and neglect?

I eventually posed this question as direct to Dean as possible.

I was absolutely taken back by Deans answer and I quote as accurately as possible (Quote).." You can quote me on this and use it as a statement to conservation and waterfowl groups around the area. We need your support. We know we have messed up......

"We dropped the ball at the Santee Coastal Reserve with employee mismanagement and are well aware of the fact that there is a lot that needs to be done. The problem of neglect and mismanagement centered around 4 years of misaligned employees and their actions." (End Quote)

I wouldn't say that he as the head of this arena took the blame and oversight upon himself but he certainly stood firm in his conviction that they recognize the wrongs, are basically starting over and are indeed committed to getting it fixed.

He did NOT deny but agreed with the facts that the SCR had been left to the way side and that it WOULD be fixed.

He also agreed that the SCR is the most important migratory waterfowl habitat South of Mattamuskeet both presently and historically.

Simplified current plan in action now.

1.Control the water = replace trunks and repair dikes.

2. Manage invasives, Spray,burn as required.

3. Deep flood the Giant Chord grass flats.

4. Monitor Salinities ongoing, adjust as needed for desirables.

The following answers where given to my questions, you can deduce the questions.

There is no shortage of equipment.

The equipment is in good shape.

There are ample funds.

The Northern Coastal complex includes SCR, SDEast and SD West and Samworth.

The Southern Complex is Bear Island and Donnely.

Akki plus 9 employees are tasked with waterfowl management of the Northern Complex areas.

Dean runs the Southern with 5 guys.

Dean is also over the smaller example: Bonneau Ferry.

The entirety of the Northern Complex is managed only as Brackish not moist soil.

Akki has very little waterfowl management experience but is a quick learner.

Of the 9 employees 1 maybe 2 have waterfowl experience and they are all new to the position in general. They have a long way to go , but are willing, they are full time employees.

1000 acres of Phragmites were sprayed on Murphy in 2015.

The Phrag spraying has been going since 04.

The main chemical used is Arsenal 80% with 20% Gly. Applied mainly by chopper.

They applied twice this year on Murphy and will attempt a spring burn as the Midwest has had luck with this protocol on Phrag.

They are currently assessing trunks and dike breaks from the flood.

They are still building their own trunks.

They are increasing their bunk width from 16 to 30 feet.

The Giant Chord Grass in my pictures choking out most of the impoundments need to be addressed quickly.

We will start on that this year with deep flooding where trunk docks are functioning.

Management is geared primarily towards Widgeon grass.

They strive for a salinity of 8-15 ppt.

Akki says he checks salinity weekly.

Their was a lot of other items discussed as well.

I left feeling a little better but then again, I know the drill.

I also left feeling like these new guys sure have a lot to learn from Dean.

I asked Dean when he was retiring to which he responded when I get so pissed off I can't take it anymore.

I invited myself to visit Akki on a regular basis to which he scoffed a little saying, " in what demeanor? A supporter or a spy?" To which I added that doesn't really matter but of course both.

He complied. I will certainly try to keep this door open. Its hard to say what will happen or how much truth there was to Akkis motivation as I have heard various assundries.

I will say that I rubbed elbows with both Tommy and Bill of the SCR in the past and when you shook their calloused cracked hands with busted fingernails you knew that you were shaking the hand of a man that gave a huge Damn about what he was charged to accomplish.

Now Akki is a big feller, I noticed he shoes were spotless clean, pants not a mud streak on them and most importantly when I shook his hand well lets just say it needs to get dirty,cracked and calloused and quick.

I don't however doubt Deans conviction to fix the problem one bit nor his guidance over Akki.

At any rate ,If you have any questions please feel free to chime in and I will do my best to answer from the notes I took.

I am also setting up a follow up with Dean so if you have any truly enlightened and questions for me to mull on and carry over let me know but please keep them to true questions of depth.

In my opine its going to take a factual economic loss statement showing the lost revenues from the exodus of waterfowlers which leave SC every year including ALL the expenses related.

OVA.
    Last edited by Strick9; 01-05-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Good on you. For all the bitching and whining that goes on about what's wrong and whose fault it is, you actually went to get answers and got involved.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Thank you.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

If there was/has been employee mismanagement then why in the hell do they hire a new manager and 9 other employees with NO waterfowl management experience!

You've got one life. Blaze on!

Why not hire as many skilled and passionate employees as possible? Why hire a man who knows nothing of wetland management? And why are they worried about you or anyone else looking over their shoulder to see what they are doing with OUR tax dollars? I still believe that there needs to be a board or committee of publicly appointed members that they (Dean in particular) have to report to quarterly with updates and future goals... Also did you ask them about the plan to change to combahee trunks?
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    If there was/has been employee mismanagement then why in the hell do they hire a new manager and 9 other employees with NO waterfowl management experience!

You beat me to it! That is something I will never understand....I know of at least 3-4 guys that applied and interviewed, all of which had an intimate knowledge of the area several even had an intimate knowledge of SCR and not a single one of them got a second look.
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Thanks for what y'all are doing!
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

I agree it is awful these places have been neglected over the years, but I don't know how committed Akki is to working on the problem just from what I've heard from people that have spoken with him. That being said I was running through Big Alligator today and saw that they had the trunk on that side of Murphy wide open draining the field. Now I don't know if they were trying to just drop the water level from the recent rains or drain it completly but it was the only trunk I saw open anywhere. Just seemed strange to me. I've been hunting down there for 20 some odd years and would love to see it return to what it once was

I didn't breech the "why Akki" subject, though did press him. Russ, I pressed more on the Delta , though there was some talk of a rebuff of the Ace Basin style trunk replacements and the Aluminums of which I would prefer hands down.

Yall both know my take on the management position.
    Genesis 9;2

Thank you for taking action! We need to hold them accountable for the decline and poor management. It would be great to form an informal oversight committee that has the connections to make things happen both in the Govt machine and the grass roots levels.
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

People have different management styles and ways to run things I reckon. But, if they have plenty of labor and resources and Akki manages all of them and all of the "North" then him being more involved with manual labor may not be the all-important remedy you are looking for.

Good for you for starting this movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hud View Post
    I agree it is awful these places have been neglected over the years, but I don't know how committed Akki is to working on the problem just from what I've heard from people that have spoken with him. That being said I was running through Big Alligator today and saw that they had the trunk on that side of Murphy wide open draining the field. Now I don't know if they were trying to just drop the water level from the recent rains or drain it completly but it was the only trunk I saw open anywhere. Just seemed strange to me. I've been hunting down there for 20 some odd years and would love to see it return to what it once was

They could have just been flushing "fresh" saltwater into that compartment from the other side to raise the salinity level from this rain.

Big H, they are draining water to ease dike pressure, per what they said, however I also would think that more than one should have been opened.

Honestly its going to come down to getting the hands dirty, feet in the mud, pounding spikes and actually enjoying the work.

I have my worries big time after today and not in Deans conviction.
    Genesis 9;2

Strick I agree with the getting dirty part of it and wish like hell that we were allowed to help in that aspect

Quack, that field is about to top the dike or was this past Sunday, but I was told salinities were checked weekly.. Hmmmmmm catch my drift?
    Genesis 9;2

Big H, we likely know one another if you have been up there that long brother, most folks of this era will get dirty in a second, might not be able to get back up but we aren't afraid to shovel from the knee.
    Genesis 9;2

Oh I've got a genius idea!

Let's hire a dude that has managed Bear habitat from Arizona to be the head Mgr. of "the most important waterfowling habitat south of Mattamuskeet
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    Oh I've got a genius idea!

Let's hire a dude that has managed Bear habitat from Arizona to be the head Mgr. of "the most important waterfowling habitat south of Mattamuskeet

And thinks that shooting coyotes is dangerous because they look too much like the Red Wolf....

Also for the record his name is spelled Achi

Strick I can't remember the mans name that the Clemson extension hired not long ago from Miss. but after talking to him he seemed to have the most knowledge of anyone that I've talked to in awhile. Not sure what he knows about the salt though.